i have a jackson with a Floyd rose floating bridge. i use ernie ball hybrid Slinkies and usually play in standard tuning. im now joining a band but everyone plays in Eb. i tuned it to that but my bridge is too low and i was wondering is tightening the springs inside my guitar to pull on my bridge something i should try? i think i could do it but how much should i tighten them? every time i do trills and pull on the tremelo bar the string hits the fretboard and craps out. id appreciate any advice greatly. thanks guys
Quote by newpurgatory
they are a pain in the ass. thats why i hardly change my strings

i feel the same way, i do the same thing too,lol!

What you mentioned IS what you should do, just screw OFF the screws pulling the springs little by little and keep checking the tuning then tune it how you want it. Keep doing that until the bridge is leveled parallel to the guitar body. This is a pain in the ass to do, but is the only way, and just so you know, every time that you decide to change strings to a different gauge of strings, you will have to do this, so i recommend that you keep using the same gauge.
This is how you can retune it to whatever you want. Works great, better than the other ways where you tune one string then the other and try to balance it out going back and forth. Too hard to do it that way and I could never get the results that I liked. If I did eventually get it in tune, the bridge was whacked out.

1: You will need a wedge 1/2" x 2". Taper it so its about 1/2" on one side down to a point
on the other end. You'll end up with something that looks like a little door stop. It needs
that angle on it, read on to see why. Make it from dense wood so it contracts as little as
possible.
2: Set the fine tuners at half way. Flip guitar over and back the screws out that hold the
tremolo claw to the springs. Almost to where they fall out but you want to leave them
still in the guitar's wood. This will raise the bridge angle up. This is OK at this point.
3: Stick the wedge, in between the trem block and the rear wall of the cavity at the rear of
the guitar. Notice how the bridge comes back down. You want to stick it in far enough to
get the bridge position placement that you want. The first couple of times you may want
to back out the wedge so the bridge angle is about 1/16" above where you actually
want it.
4: Now tune to desired pitch. The bridge should stay in place as you tune.
5: Once you reach desired pitch, start tightening the claws screws back into the wood. Pay
attention to the point where the wedge becomes loose. At this point the springs pulling
back will equal the strings pulling forward, hence the "floating" part of the bridge. Pull
out the wedge. It should come out easily or fall out all together. It should now be set up
correctly.