Today, i just changed the strings on my guitar, the first time in a year. my guitar sounds really tinny, so, being impatient, I went into the UG chatroom. I asked somebody there about the problem, and they explained about different gagues for strings. my question is, I play a lot of rammstein and system of a down, and have high gague strings, would it sound right?
oh, by the way, for those who need to know, i use "Vinci" strings (from target), because they are "reccomended" by the packaging when i got my guitar a year ago.
for your style, a medium to thick gauge string is good. 10's or 11's will suit you well.

In the future, don't buy your strings at target, their music equipment generally sucks. Go to a store that specializes in music equipment. Some good brands are Ernie Ball, D'addario, and GHS.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
For de-tuned stuff like that, heavy gauges do help, they don't get so flappy and the thicken the tone up nicely.

For the drop C tuning SOAD use (mostly) .11s would probably suit best but if you're gonna be going back into standard and other higher tunings like drop D they're gonna be a bitch to bend and difficult to fret. So if you're staying in lod tunings, 11s, if you want more versatility try something like a set of .10-.52 (light top heavy bottom or LTHB they're mostly labelled as). I play in standard and use that gauge and I've found it's a happy medium for a nice fat tone but not as difficult to play as 11s (it's still a fair jump from .9s, especially on the lower strings but you'll built up the strength easily enough).
Go to a guitar store and buy strings there, not target. D'Addarios are the ones i use.

For down tuned stuff like Soad (motley drop C) your going to want something around the 11 gauge strings.

Edit: looks like i was beaten to EVERYTHING i said...
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Last edited by .:Darkness:. at Sep 22, 2007,
i use nines, greta for benders and tapping i think
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
get a 10 or 11 gauge TNT there pretty thick down low great for chugging and about average up high.
how do I find out the gague of my strings? i threw away the packaging and only had the envelopes.
Each envelope should specify the gauge for that particular string. Either a large 2 digit number, or a smaller number like ".009"
like 10 bucks.

seriously though, just go to an actual music store and all your questions will be solved.