Page 1 of 3
here's a thought. what metal band has the most originality? or perhaps the most creativity?

discuss.
black sabbath, they dipped into so many diffrent parts of metal, and they one of the first bands to pioneer metal
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Quote by Richard833
Opeth or Porcupine Tree. Hands down.

yeha but sabbath has songs that go all over the metal spectrem. really heavy **** to light blues stuff
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
Atheist?
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
Quote by Sean-Man
yeha but sabbath has songs that go all over the metal spectrem. really heavy **** to light blues stuff

yeah, and that's exactly what Opeth does too, sooo.....
Quote by Sean-Man
black sabbath, they dipped into so many diffrent parts of metal, and they one of the first bands to pioneer metal

+8...on its side...
You are now blinking manually
Either Opeth or Arch Enemy. No bands really have the same sound as those two do.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by TrasherFromHell

man all there stuff sounds the same
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by Sean-Man

you're joking, right?
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
you're joking, right?

no its either "chuga chuga SCREAM chuga chuga Scream!" or some slow song that sounds like every other slow song
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by Sean-Man

Wow, you haven't heard ANYTHING from them then. Does the song deliverance sound the same as A fair judgement? No, and they're in the same album. Does, The night and the silent water sound the same as The baying of the hounds? No.
Need more examples?
Last edited by TrasherFromHell at Sep 22, 2007,
yeah i have listened and it alll sounds the same, same recycled riffs
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by Sean-Man
no its either "chuga chuga SCREAM chuga chuga Scream!" or some slow song that sounds like every other slow song

1 word: Listen to Blackwater Park.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
1 word: Listen to Blackwater Park.

lol 1 word
Quote by devilscruffs14
once i banged a 5 year old chick, i love banging older women.

HAHA
Quote by Sean-Man

I have to agree with this fellow....... in the post Blackwater Park era, Opeth have become complacent and many of their songs are sounding too alike.

As for metal bands with the most originality...... I'd have to go with Cynic on that..... and perhaps Spastic Ink.
omg it all sounds the same!!! i listen to that song and its just like every other song!!!
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
oh yeah sure, because other bands don't do the same, right? plus, they're not the same riffs, and even if they were, that does not justify a reason to say that they're not original; they're style is very unique and they evolve it every time they release an album, they do not repeat themselves. One question to you, name one band, ONE BAND, that sounds like Opeth, not just because of their genre, and i will leave you alone.
Quote by TrasherFromHell
oh yeah sure, because other bands don't do the same, right? plus, they're not the same riffs, and even if they were, that does not justify a reason to say that they're not original; they're style is very unique and they evolve it every time they release an album, they do not repeat themselves. One question to you, name one band, ONE BAND, that sounds like Opeth, not just because of their genre, and i will leave you alone.

****ING EVERY MAINSTREAM METAL BAND TODAY!!!! they all sound the same!!! i have to go down to the greasiest bars and ****ty concert hall to actually hear music that sounds diffrent!!! ****ing kill cheerleader is amazing band! it took em forever to find them and the first time i meet them, they come in some ****ty van and i dont know what to expect, then they go on stage and it sounds amazing. but every time i hear opeth of kill switch or just try to chekc out bands that my friends listen to it all sounds the same!!! w/e i still respect them as artists, and the music they right is pretty complex, i just think the genre and modern metal music needs a change
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
+1 for Metallica. they were the first proper thrash band, and then they brought in all the classical and progressive elements to metal.

One band that sounds like Opeth: Porcupine Tree. Especially lately.

And yeah they are getting a bit stale. Blakwater Park is one of my favourite albums, but everything after that just sounds the same to me.
Quote by to_the_grave
+1 for Metallica. they were the first proper thrash band, and then they brought in all the classical and progressive elements to metal.

And yeah they are getting a bit stale. Blakwater Park is one of my favourite albums, but everything after that just sounds the same to me.

yeah 'tallicas pretty sweet
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
Death, they remained Original and improved with each album until the end.
Quote by Karl Sanders
its like a four finger, diminished thingy
Porcupine tree does sound similar, i agree but it only covers the progressive rock part of them. And Sean-Man, honestly you're pointing the finger to all mainstream bands, so you're basically accusing the genre not a band in particular, but you cannot name one band that sounds like Opeth, and i'm pretty sure that the definition of original goes along the lines of unequal, unique, and different from others, hence the reason they are origonal. And i'm still waiting for an answer, if you can give me one.
Well, in terms of originality, I still would say Opeth, just because I've never been blown away by a band in quite the same way as I was the first time I listened to Blackwater Park.

As for Arch Enemy, Wages of Sin and Anthems of Rebellion are probably amongst my all-time favorite albums. Nobody can steal my heart the way that Michael Amott can.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by to_the_grave

Metallica were just one of many thrash metal bands that sprung up in 1981. Really, people give them more credit than they are due.
Quote by TrasherFromHell

soo.... black sabbath did it 15-20 years before opeth did
nyrkki
Founder of UG's COB Hatecrew
opeth is definitely a one of a kind band. sean you need to open your ears a bit more, i couldn't name a handfull of Modern Metal Bands that are like opeth. neither could you.

btw Metallica sold out with the black album and on so i think they should be disqualified from this thread.
Quote by Karl Sanders
its like a four finger, diminished thingy
Quote by wintee_madness

Oh yeah, i know, and i agree with that comment about Black Sabbath, i was just pointing it out, that's all.
haha and i was just pointing out that Sabbath did it way before them
any ways...
nyrkki
Okay so 30 minutes later and no band similar to Opeth i guess i made my point. Moving on, another band that i think is pretty original, maybe not The most original, but it certainly is original, is Nevermore.
Black Sabbath have always been and always will be the origin of metal. Owe your thanks to Iommi's evil hands. That's not to disregard other artists who may have contributed to the growing popularity that would be heavy metal as Sabbath defined it to be, but Sabbath always experimented with all kinds of stuff. You have gregorian-monk chants in Supertzar, nice classical-type acoustic bits in Fluff, and Orchid, dank thrashy riffs in Symptom Of the Universe, jazzy/bluesy stuff in Planet Caravan, Solitude and other songs. Instead of having one formulaic approach, they did a lot of stuff.

I don't have the attention span to write three more essays for Maiden, Priest, and Guardian, but they are extremely original as well.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by wintee_madness

Ownage
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
Hmm, to be honest though, I think a lot of the defining bands of Metal sub-genres (i.e. Metallica and Slayer with Thrash, Panters/Manowar with Power, etc...) could be considered original, but it takes something special to be able to break the mold, keep it within the genre, and still be excellent.

Testament just keeps popping into my head with this. They have the Thrash metal roots, they use a lot of blues, and they have a somewhat "Latino" feel about them, I'm not sure why. They're great though, I saw them live and they rocked. You can tell that these guys are in love with the music that they make.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by Sean-Man
Ownage

except that the slow parts of opeth are QUITE different than sasbbath's!

as for most influential, i would go with technical death metal!

necrophagist, atheist, cephalic carnage, etc.

but opeth makes a good argument as well, never foudn another like them. closest you got was porcupine tree. but thats because they HEAVILY influenced opeth. but still theyre completely different soudns.
Quote by Sean-Man
Ownage

refer to 5 and 7comments above.
Last edited by TrasherFromHell at Sep 22, 2007,
Firenze: Pantera power metal???? I think not.... Groove metal aye , you want power metal try Blind Guardian, sonata arctica, iced earth etc
nyrkki
Page 1 of 3