Poll: which amp is better?
Poll Options
View poll results: which amp is better?
JCM DSL 201/401
15 42%
Tiny Terror
21 58%
Voters: 36.
Which amp is better is terms of tone and versatility? Which amp does better cleans/od/distortion? I'll be playing an epi les paul quilt top with it. Which amp is more vintage sounding? And since the TT doesn't have as many controls and doesn't have a footswitch, how much will this limit me?

The type of guitarist I try to emulate are ones that played marshalls, such as Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Slash.

And also, which of those amps will sound the closet to a vintage Marshall plexi?

Only reason why I would consider the TT is because of the lower wattage.
Last edited by lpmarshall at Sep 22, 2007,
I would definetly go with the JCM 2000 DSL, its got great overdrive for that classic tone and it cleans up very nicely, never had any experience with the tiny terror but the dsl is great.
well, slash page and hendrix used the DSL, clapton used fenders, so i would go with the DSL

What Goes Up

Must Come Down
^ Slash used a JCM800/Silver Jubilee, Page used a Orange, Hendrix a Plexi.... DSLs are just par-reaching new model Marshall amps. Clapton used JTM45s as well as Fenders. I'd say the Tiny Terror is a far superior amp tonally.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
For vintage tones, TT hands down.

The DSL is gonna be far too modern sounding for your tastes.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Well you have pretty vintage tones. The TT is perfect for what you play.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
The TT sounds more "real". As in like a proper amp, real nice overdrive. The DSL sounded fizzy and the cleans weren't very good.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
the dsl does not have a "clean" channel, for that you'd need the JCM TSL. The tiny terror has awesome cleans as well as an overdrive that cranks
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by Stingz.
well, slash page and hendrix used the DSL

yeaahh..

I wouldnt go on that little bit of advice.. And clapton uses Jmps and many other amps.

The TT has alot more tone and more natural! Alot darker that the dsl.

If you want decent cleans and decent od I would go for the Dsl. Mainly because 2 channels. but its nothing special!
Quote by Johnonon
the dsl does not have a "clean" channel, for that you'd need the JCM TSL. The tiny terror has awesome cleans as well as an overdrive that cranks

What are you talking about? I have a DSL401 and it has a clean channel, OD1 and OD2. The TSL just has a crunch channel if I'm not mistaken.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
he quoted, which meant the cleans arent very clean. expecially compared to the tiny terror, he is right.

Guitars:
1998 Gibson SG-X Carribean Blue
Dean Avalanche
Amps:
Marshall JCM900 SL-X Head w/ Orange 212 Cab
JMF 120T Vintage
Fender 212DSP
Pedals:
Fulltone OCD, TC Electronics Flashback Delay, MXR Classic Overdrive, TC Electronics Polytune
Quote by Johnonon
the dsl does not have a "clean" channel, for that you'd need the JCM TSL.

Why is that?

^^No, it just gives you an extra know or two for the level of boost and gain on OD3 (thats one model) then another model has an extra Eq for OD3.

^What are you talking about? the TT is a one channel amp, the cleans arent gonna be as clean as the Marshall, Because to get a medium amount of distortion you need to crank it thus the only way of getting a clean-ish sound would be rolling back the volume on your guitar!
Quote by Stingz.
well, slash page and hendrix used the DSL, clapton used fenders, so i would go with the DSL

*in Dr Cox's church bell impression*

Wrong wrong wrong wrong, wrong wrong wrong wrong.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
the DSL has classic gain and ultra gain channels

the TSL has clean, classic gain, nd ultrat gain channels

I'm not saying the DSL doesn't have cleans, it does not have a dedicated channel for cleans
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
i just bought a dsl401 for $350 this week.

yeah. already planning on selling it for more. it's not a terrible sounding amp, but it's just not my style.
Quote by Johnonon
the DSL has classic gain and ultra gain channels

the TSL has clean, classic gain, nd ultrat gain channels

I'm not saying the DSL doesn't have cleans, it does not have a dedicated channel for cleans

I honestly hope you've been joking this whole time.
i'm so confused with all this back an forth, so which amps have the clean channel the DSL or the TSL or neither?
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.