Okay, I'm basically more into shred style playing. I rarely play anything jazz (even though jazz is quite fun! ). But I really dig jazzer Stanley Jordan's unique tapping technique, and I figured I could try to apply it in the context of shred. However, I have read somewhere that to be able to perform that technique, I'll have to do some set up to my guitar, like lowering the action down to the lowest possible without inviting the buzzing, and I'd also have to use those flat-wound or something strings. So did any of you work on this technique? How far did you go with it?
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Put something like a capo on the first fret, except, make sure it doesn't press the string down, thus fretting it. Best way to get rid of buzzing.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by sTx
Put something like a capo on the first fret, except, make sure it doesn't press the string down, thus fretting it. Best way to get rid of buzzing.

That's cheating ;o
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
^ Is it really?
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
^ Thank you!
Myspace Streaming Only

he uses those when hes playing his double neck guitar with 1 hand on each, so doesnt have to worry about string muting as well :p
But if I DO use those string dampeners, they'll damp the strings even when I'm doing riffs and stuff, right?
Quote by buckethead_jr

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
they will only dampen open strings, and when you release notes and chords, a standard barre chord will ring out in the same way if theres a dampener between your hand and the nut or not.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
He plays his guitar like a piano because hes also a beast of a classically trained pianist.
Traynor YCV40
Modded Gibson SG
Gibson CS-356
1973 Fender Bassman
Fulltone OCD
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Quote by BassTalk
Okay, I'm basically more into shred style playing. I rarely play anything jazz (even though jazz is quite fun! ). But I really dig jazzer Stanley Jordan's unique tapping technique, and I figured I could try to apply it in the context of shred. However, I have read somewhere that to be able to perform that technique, I'll have to do some set up to my guitar, like lowering the action down to the lowest possible without inviting the buzzing, and I'd also have to use those flat-wound or something strings. So did any of you work on this technique? How far did you go with it?

You need to look up some Buckethead stuff. He does exactly what you want to do.
Welcome to BUCKETHEADLAND

Last edited by Colonel Sanders : Yesterday at 10:54 PM.
Last edited by Dr. Faustus at Oct 23, 2007,
Are you sure Buckethead does that?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oZ68hjB-RBo

Anyways, the guy's a genius. I'm gonna go see what I can do to my Ibanez RG so I can maybe start practicing that technique...
Orange Rockerverb 100 + Orange PPC412
Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Fender Road Worn Player's Telecaster
No. There's no such thing as cheating in music.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
^ That'd still be one finger short, though! =P
Quote by buckethead_jr

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
everybody, if you havent heard of him, go on you tube, look up bob zabek, the song is walk on water. get a diaper because youre going to **** yourself.
Quote by guitarded420
everybody, if you havent heard of him, go on you tube, look up bob zabek, the song is walk on water. get a diaper because youre going to **** yourself.

holy crap. that's incredible. it makes me wish I had heeded your warning, lol. definately a great player. Im also gonna have to practice up on that technique

edit: just heard dead man's etude, too. thats almost played too perfect
If you can play music with enthusiasm and an honest effort, then no matter how flawed, noisy and unclean the music is, you are a musician. If you play just to be the best, you are not a musician, nor are you worthy of any musician's recognition. - me
Last edited by cm_richardson at Oct 31, 2007,
Quote by Galvanise69
Any Buckethead examples? Id really like to see if so...

when he taps, his fret hand is always doing the dampening. with the ocassional slide etc. same principle/
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
Quote by cm_richardson
holy crap. that's incredible. it makes me wish I had heeded your warning, lol. definately a great player. Im also gonna have to practice up on that technique

edit: just heard dead man's etude, too. thats almost played too perfect

i know right? and hes 26 years old.
To build up t this, joe satriani's midnight is four finger, day at the beach is five finger, and Steve vais building the church has a different kindof style of five finger tapping. Also, look at zak kim's videos. I know some 8 finer tapping stuff, but no songs utilizing it.