shooky
i own a guitar?
324 IQ
hi, im looking for ma first tube amp.
i mainly play RHCP stuff from ALL their eras, im talking from their first ever album all the way to SA.so, i will need very good cleans, very good funky type cleans, and a good OD wont do me harm.i currently own a DS-1 and i am planning on getting a big muff pi NYC, and a TS-808/9 with ma new amp.

ok, out of the above, what do you reckon will leave me most satisfyed?
a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe?
or a Rivera Pubster 25 watt?

i will gig small places with it, nothing too shabby or big.70 people max with no PA.

feel free to recomend anything else.

Regards, Shooky.

shookEDIT: Will a fender blues junior be ok for really small gigs?(mind RHCP playing style)

thankies
Quote:
guy-get an ak-47 shoot him and blame it on his dog
man-he dont have one... can someone siriously help me?!
guy-just jack one froma local pet store. throw it in his yard. shoot him. duck tape the ak-14 to the dogs paw. run.. use gloves.
Last edited by shooky at Sep 28, 2007,
Grönis
Guitar playing fish
42 IQ
The Fender should be loud enough, it's got beautiful cleans, but a pretty weak OD.

Don't know nothing about the riviera though.

Maybe you should try out a Traynor YCV-40, it has got some fender-ish cleans, but a bit different, also it's got a much better OD channel than the Deluxe.

Thats my view on it anyway.

Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
kyrreca
Bland
652 IQ
I haven't tried the Pubster, but it's supposed to have good cleans, my Rivera sure has. Rivera isn't the most well-known manufacturer, but they make some high-quality models. I have tried the Hotrod, can't say I was to fond of it. The cleans were ok, but the OD wasn't all that in my opinion.

Anyway you should bring your guitar to a guitar store, and ask to try them both (and maybe some other amps too).
slatsmania
downright dinosaurian
1,012 IQ
Between the two, I'd say the Hot Rod.

I think you should look around for a used DeVille model (60W) of either the Hot Rod or Blues. Maybe even look for a used Twin. If you want great cleans at gigging volumes, you'll want the extra wattage. The Rivera's a great amp, but I'd be concerned about the cleans because of it's size.

The Ampeg Superjet or Reverberocket would also be an excellent choice.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Joey-Tribiani
yes
1,743 IQ
dude, i swear i asked the exsact same question like 2 weeks ago
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

kyrreca
Bland
652 IQ
I agree with the person above concerning used gear. You can make a good deal, and end up with a much better amp than if you purchase one from a store. It's also true that the 25W Pubster might not stay very clean if you have to push it live. There is a 45W version, I believe, which would be better (but also more expensive).
R_H_C_P
UG's God.
1,984 IQ
Well, John's always used Marshalls, so something like a JTM45 combo would be great, but they're a bit pricy in America.

I'm guessing the Riviera will be higher quality, go and try one and see what you think of it.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
shooky
i own a guitar?
324 IQ
thanks for replys!
Quote:
guy-just jack one froma local pet store. throw it in his yard. shoot him. duck tape the ak-14 to the dogs paw. run.. use gloves.
shooky
i own a guitar?
324 IQ
bump.
anyone else have an input on what i should do?
Quote:
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
i'd definitely go the rivera, pwns the HRD if you ask me. but as slats says, size might be the problem if you need truly pristine cleans. how much is the 45 watt model? if it's not too much more, might be worth considering.

traynor ycv40 might also be worth a look. i'd probably prefer the rivera though.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp