A while back someone told me that American made guitars rise in value over time. Is this true with all American made guitars, or do they already have to be pretty old? If I'd buy a new American Fender Telecaster and kept it in mint condition, could I sell it for more money a few years down the road?
Not a "few years down the road", but in something like 30, if it's a good model and you maintain it properly. That would go for other quality guitars as well, i guess, not only American ones
I doubt it.

most guitars are just churned out now by factories so they don't have the collectability factor that the older ones have.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I reckon guitars made by companies like Dean will become big money in about 30 odd years. But dont buy one and expect to make a profit within the next couple of years on it
nothing is certain.

dont buy a guitar with the aim of making money from it, because chances are that after factoring in inflation etc, you'll be losing money
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
It can go down in value if the guitar is in a bad condition, this is logical.
Quote by metalgirl0
It can go down in value if the guitar is in a bad condition, this is logical.

yes, that goes without saying.
a 1910 acoustic gibson like the one john denva was cremated with will be worth like $10 million dollars in 50 years time.
If you buy a new guitar and then try to sell it a few years later, you will lose money on it. Unless it is rare or unique and there is a demand for it. Long term the value may increase but if you are buying the guitar strictly as an investment go buy some stocks.
yes, they probably will. i mean, fenders from the 70s are currently rising in value, and theyre considerably worse than the fenders being made today; in fact, it was the badness of 70s fenders that kicked off the whole vintage guitar thing in the first place. so clearly, it isnt about the quality of the guitars. it is, as much as anything i think, nostalgia. so yes, american made guitars probably are a decent investment over the long term, but theyre not a great one. if you want to invest, go buy stocks in a biotechnology company. if you want a nice guitar that wont lose value, go buy a late 90s american made guitar off ebay. you'll pretty much definitely be able to resell it for at least what you paid for it. i say off ebay, because personally i hate buying new. the second you walk out of the store you lose at least a third of what you paid. buy used off ebay, and you can probably sell it again in a weeks time and only lose ebay/paypal fees, and if you're lucky it might increase in value.

just as an example, compare http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1977-Fender-Stratocaster-Beautiful-White-w-OHSC_W0QQitemZ320157637648QQihZ011QQcategoryZ47069QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
with

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Deluxe-Stratocaster?sku=511142

i can assure you, the new deluxe strat is considerably better than that lame three bolt 77 strat. but the 77 strat went for more! madness!
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Sep 22, 2007,