Page 1 of 2
Hello all you UGers!

I'm planning to make a V-shaped guitar in my next summer holiday, which is a while off, but I've already started designing and stuff. And I'm looking for some constructive criticism so I can change stuff in these early stages.
I've "borrowed" some parts of my design from Jackson guitars, because I think they look kickass.

The neck will probly be maple and the wings/headstock veneer walnut.

I might do block inlays instead, sharkfins look tricky.

One thing I'm a tad worried about is balance. I heard V-shaped guitars can be rather neck-heavy. Would that be a problem on mine too or would it be fine, cause it's a good bit longer than most Vs?

Well, there ya go. Fire away!
Attachments:
Vguitar.jpg
It can depend on the wood used really.
Try to balance the woods evenly if possible, like weight-wise & depending on where the strap buttons are.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
for balance issues, make a template out of cardboard and hold it your hands, and work from there.
Well, the strap buttons are shown on the pic.

But how would I go about balancing it with a cardboard template?
Attach some cord to the places where the strapbuttons are supposed to go and try to balance it? Because I can't imagine such a template being representative of an actual guitar with hardware and stuff.
your going to have terrible upper fret acces with that neck joint. Move it down a little so upper fret access is easier. I too am starting work on my custom V. Mine will be similar to a jackson RR .

good luck
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
Well, I made a paper mockup of the joint and it's not that bad.
The reason I did that is because I think the neck joint might be a bit too weak if I cut it right down to the pickup. Perhaps doing it Laiho-style would be an option? (one side cut low, the other high)
Well, if you wanna follow this build now already, you better have shedloads of patience. I won't have much time to do anything serious until the next summer holiday (it's about 8 months away I think.. too lazy to look it up). I'll try to update every now and then to show how preperations are progressing, but no building for now.

Thanks for the replies so far, btw. I'll try making a template.

Also, does anyone know of a guitar hardware/supplies retailer in Holland? Or at least ships to here? For stuff like fret wire, bridges, strap buttons, etc. I can't find one for the life of me.
personally i dont like blunt v's but thats ur choice and the headstock is very ordinary but thats also how u like it so ye. hope it turns out nice for ya
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by Kanthras
Well, if you wanna follow this build now already, you better have shedloads of patience. I won't have much time to do anything serious until the next summer holiday (it's about 8 months away I think.. too lazy to look it up). I'll try to update every now and then to show how preperations are progressing, but no building for now.

Thanks for the replies so far, btw. I'll try making a template.

Also, does anyone know of a guitar hardware/supplies retailer in Holland? Or at least ships to here? For stuff like fret wire, bridges, strap buttons, etc. I can't find one for the life of me.

lol, okay no problem, I just stick it in faverates and come back to see the finnished product.
Well, I just made a template from some leftover wood I had laying around. The balance seems to be pretty good and the final guitar should be a good bit body-heavy, which I would definately not mind. I like having the neck angled upwards.
Also, upper fret access is good too, so no worries there.

Maybe I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Update! Plans have changed quite a bit. And I just got the woods.
Here are some pics for you:

Mmmm.. woods..

Closeup of the mahogany body + top.

Closeup of the Wenge neck + fretboard (it's hot!)

Closeup of padouk stringer (gonna be sawed in half and put between neck/wings
(wanted flame maple, but couldn't find any suitable pieces ))

Here's a guitar I made earlier. It's made out of crappy pieces of wood bolted together that set me back 10 euros. Looks pretty cool though, if I do say so myself. Loud acoustically, too. Probably because it's unfinished. That's also why I'm mentioning it here, this will be my test/practice bed for finishes and other crap.

Also, the wenge neck is a bit too thin for the body side of things, so I'll have to find a solution to that.
looking good. What is the new design V going to look like?
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
Quote by buzzcut
looking good. What is the new design V going to look like?

Kind of like this, except with a wenge fretboard (no inlays, the wenge is too pretty ).
When you recon you'll get started? Look foward to following this.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I'd like...finish it, but like thin, so you can still see some wood grain. I'm sorry, I'm not that knowledgable on customizing so I have no clue how to properly call it. I figure you know what I mean though.
Quote by djmay71
for balance issues, make a template out of cardboard and hold it your hands, and work from there.

Thats quite possibly the silliest thing Ive ever heard
I wouldn't change anything it looks awesome
Quote by sashki
judging by these 'ranks', I guess you were looking at Gibson guitars.

In that case, it goes (worst --> best)
special --> studio --> standard --> custom

When Gibson calls something "special", it's special in the way a retarded kid is.
Quote by Jehuty
I'd like...finish it, but like thin, so you can still see some wood grain. I'm sorry, I'm not that knowledgable on customizing so I have no clue how to properly call it. I figure you know what I mean though.

I'll most likely give it an oil finish. Unless someone else can give me an awesome idea for something else. But finishing will come near the end of the project, so that's still a long way off.

I'll start when I get the hardware and tools/glue.

About the hardware, I'll probably use a chrome Schaller double locking trem and generic chrome tuners. Haven't decided on pickups yet. Probably something bright with good definition, since wenge/padouk/mahogany are all on the warm side of things.
Quote by Kanthras
I'll most likely give it an oil finish. Unless someone else can give me an awesome idea for something else. But finishing will come near the end of the project, so that's still a long way off.

I'll start when I get the hardware and tools/glue.

About the hardware, I'll probably use a chrome Schaller double locking trem and generic chrome tuners. Haven't decided on pickups yet. Probably something bright with good definition, since wenge/padouk/mahogany are all on the warm side of things.

How about a trans burst finish? Like a green to a black would look awesome on a V.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
How about a trans burst finish? Like a green to a black would look awesome on a V.

I'm not sure how well a burst finish would work with the different types of wood. The coloring might conflict.
Quote by Kanthras
I'm not sure how well a burst finish would work with the different types of wood. The coloring might conflict.

I think it would look pretty good. Heres a mockup of some colors. A little messy, but it should give you the idea
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Crap, I think you might've just convinced me
I like that red burst... hmmm...

Edit:

I kinda like it, but it might be a bit too devilish. I'll mess around with the hue a bit, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do some kind of burst now.
Last edited by Kanthras at Nov 3, 2007,
Quote by Kanthras
Crap, I think you might've just convinced me
I like that red burst... hmmm...

yeah that was my fave too...well after tobacco anyway..

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Thanks for the suggestions/comments everyone! I'll update again once I start building. Stay tuned/subscribed
Hey guys, I was wondering.. since the wenge neck isn't quartersawn, would it be a good idea to saw it in 2 halves and glue them back together "bookmatched"? That should stop it from warping too much, right? Because it's very slightly warped atm.
Quote by Kanthras
Hey guys, I was wondering.. since the wenge neck isn't quartersawn, would it be a good idea to saw it in 2 halves and glue them back together "bookmatched"? That should stop it from warping too much, right? Because it's very slightly warped atm.

not sure exactly, but i read an article saying that if you have warped wood, cut it in half and glue the wood so that the pieces warp into each other therefor cancelling out the warp.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
not sure exactly, but i read an article saying that if you have warped wood, cut it in half and glue the wood so that the pieces warp into each other therefor cancelling out the warp.

Yeah, that's what I meant. So that's a good idea, then?
Quote by Kanthras
Yeah, that's what I meant. So that's a good idea, then?

i think so, but either way,no harm done from doing it eh?

sigh...i need to start on my V as well...just two more weeks before i can commit to it...

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
i think so, but either way,no harm done from doing it eh?

sigh...i need to start on my V as well...just two more weeks before i can commit to it...

Hehe, I know what you mean. I'm itching to get started as well, but I haven't got much time.

I tried bending the neck piece flat, and I can do it with my bare hands.. So glueing 2 halves together should be no biggie.

Btw, mahogany smells good...
Hello there, slight update.

I've started working on the neck today, but I need a bit of advice.
The sides of the neck that are going to be glued together are not completely flat.
I've tried sanding it, but that's not working too well.
Wenge is seriously a bitch to work on. I've been sanding for 1 hour straight with a sanding machine and fairly coarse sandpaper and I could swear the damn piece of wood was laughing at me as if I was giving it a relaxing massage. Not to mention sanding it won't ever make it completely flat. I've also tried using a plane, but the blade just either skips over the wood or completely digs in. Pretty useless.
Should I just keep going at it with a sander and somehow keep a very steady hand?

Any suggestions?
Since you're gonna have padouk stringers, shouldn't your mockup look different? (rusty red instead of pale) I think it'd be too bad to cover padouk up with red or green or something...
first off i love the pink burst into the black.. idk why but i do!

and just keep going with the sander, wenge is a tough wood but it will be worth it though!
heavy support of A7X army pm Copius
Quote by spl3001
I think we can all really agree that nothing is more metal than playing a Telecaster....On fire.

Quote by GiantRaven
The rest of the album is brilliant but that one song just really gets right on my tits for some reason
Page 1 of 2