I've seen alot of hate surrounding the guitar like....everywhere. I have one of these, and I love it to death and I got it for like $700 (USD).
I know the trem isn't too great and it dosn't really compare to the 'real' Jems, but I just wanted your opinions on it, is it a decent guitar, or is it really a waste of money?
I think it is just because it is basicaly a 'stripped down' JEM. I don't think that there is actually anything wong with it
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by johnny_tapia
I think it is just because it is basicaly a 'stripped down' JEM. I don't think that there is actually anything wong with it

It's not Prestige, the trem isn't good and the general quality is nothing to write home about; it's pretty much a standard RG with new pickups and a different inlay, for the money you can pick up a Prestige RG which is a hell of a lot better.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
It's not Prestige, the trem isn't good and the general quality is nothing to write home about; it's pretty much a standard RG with new pickups and a different inlay, for the money you can pick up a Prestige RG which is a hell of a lot better.

Ah right, well there you go
Quote by atomkat
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
You paid extra for a monkey grip and a name.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
The Trem sucks ass!!
It's just not worth the money. You can buy a much better RG for the same amount.
Either get a JEM 7 or no JEM at all.
Quote by The_Burnanator
I hate it so much when people quote themselves in sigs!!

Ok you guys just crushed my enthusiasm about having this guitar

*smashes Jem 555*
Quote by dudeman88
Ok you guys just crushed my enthusiasm about having this guitar

*smashes Jem 555*

Don't smash it!

(it burns better in one piece, plus you should salvage the pickups)
Quote by joeymaxx
I never got what the monkey grips are for, picking it up ?
Yeah, if your going to buy a JEM, buy a JEM

They are there to look cool obviously............

Quote by atomkat
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by johnny_tapia
They are there to look cool obviously............

Why do people dislike the monkey grip? I think it's quite cool (on other, non-555, Jems).

By he way Johny_tapia, your avatar is awesome (as are the record and DVD)
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Why do people dislike the monkey grip? I think it's quite cool (on other, non-555, Jems).

By he way Johny_tapia, your avatar is awesome (as are the record and DVD)

I actually like the monkey grip
And yes they are
Quote by atomkat
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
the monkey grip is there because steve vai used to do alot of guitar acrobatics onstage, so during the DLR era he asked ibanez to make a guitar with a handle on his guitar so he could swing it around his head and so forth.
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
bad trem.

it's more expensive than an rg1570 which is a nicer guitar.

that's basically it in a nutshell.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by permanentmarker
the monkey grip is there because steve vai used to do alot of guitar acrobatics onstage, so during the DLR era he asked ibanez to make a guitar with a handle on his guitar so he could swing it around his head and so forth.

I thought thats what straps were for
listen to Dave_mc!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i have a jem 555 and it's cool. it plays great and sounds awesome, good value. the only prob i m having is that one of the trem posts (edge 2) moves further forward than the other when the guitar is strung. the trem sits wonky and doesnt return to neutral, i dont know how to solve this.
Last edited by steve smith at Sep 13, 2008,
Quote by FacingUsAll
You paid extra for a monkey grip and a name.

As with the 7V
at least it's a good guitar, though (albeit over-priced). the general rule is that it's ok to pay for cosmetics, endorsements or anything else which doesn't improve the playability, reliability or tone (as long as you're aware you're paying extra for those) IF the product is already top notch and of the highest quality. For example, if you're buying, say, a top of the line PRS, it wouldn't be a crime to fork out extra for fancy inlays, or a 10-top (as long as you could easily afford it, and were aware it wouldn't improve the tone or playability). But it would be if you forked out extra for those cosmetic "upgrades" on a low-end squier.

the 555 isn't already a top-quality guitar (trem is the major offender here, but even the whole guitar isn't as good as an MIJ prestige or J custom), so therefore paying extra for the monkey grip and vai's signature is daft, as that money would be better spent in getting a better guitar (e.g. rg1570).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 13, 2008,