I was testing out a fender japan telecaster (TC 72 I think) and when I bent one string wide, the sound just cut out. is that because it was beyond the the pick up's range?
The best guitar lesson site: http://www.justinguitar.com/

Ibanez RG565
Fender Japan Telecaster TC72-78
Korg Ax1500G
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss DD-6
Did you fret out?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Mankoman
I was testing out a fender japan telecaster (TC 72 I think) and when I bent one string wide, the sound just cut out. is that because it was beyond the the pick up's range?

You can't bend beyond the pickups range, because then you'd bending beyond the fretboard (which is impossible). The guitar probably has uneven frets or needs a truss rod adjustment.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
ok thanks for that. i was real close to buying it apart from that.

Ibanez RG565
Korg Ax1500G
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss DD-6
Quote by Mankoman
ok thanks for that. i was real close to buying it apart from that.

If you have it setup right, the problem should be solved.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
It might not be anything wrong with the guitar. Especially when bending at the higher frets, your finger placement can slip easily and that'll kill the note. If you're not used to the neck, this isn't so uncommon, and if the strings were of a different guage than you're used to, that will also make you more likely to kill the note yourself.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Did you fret out?

that's what i'd have thought. on more vintage instruments with a smaller fingerboard radius, you can fret out when bending...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't know what fretting out means (pulling the string of the end of the fret? if so, that's not what I did).

also, I don't think it was me, when I pointed it out to the shop dude, he played it and agreed, later taking the guitar to the boss.

I'll try and find another one of the same model, I'm pretty smitten with that model.

Ibanez RG565
Korg Ax1500G
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss DD-6
no, it just means if you bend far enough, the fret will choke the sound of the string.

hang on, i'll see if i can find the radius of that guitar. EDIT: is this the one? http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0137502306 if so it's 7.25" radius. which is pretty small, and would make fretting out a distinct possibility.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yep, thats the one (the one I tried was a japanese one, but the radius is as you said)

it only occurred on one string, the B,

thanks for your help.

Ibanez RG565
Korg Ax1500G
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss DD-6
i don't think i've ever fretted out on a 7.25" neck... but sometimes it does feel like you aren't a million miles away from doing it... so it could be that.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?