I was thinking of getting this or the cube 30x. I was originally going to get the 30x for hard rock and metal until I saw this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhHoyYJJyas. How good are the effects? How does the preamp tube make it sound compared to the Roland? How good are the cleans compared to the cube?
well, ive heard the cube is better for metal than the regular valvetronix, but there is also the new xl series which is a hotrodded version.
if youre going to mainl be playing low gain stuff, id say regular valvetronix.
also, the effects are ok, but theyre nothing special. i mainly just use reverb. (ive got an ad50vt)
also, check out www.valvetronix.net
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Some of the effects are good. Some are unusable. But then again, they're inexpensive amps. You can't really expect too much flexibility. I have yet to try out these new "high gain" Valvetronix, so I can't comment on them, but I generally don't like the way the original cheaper ones sound (the 15, 30, 50, 100, as opposed to the 60 or 120, which are the high end models).
Hi, I'm Peter
the Valvetronix XL does not sound bad at all, it models higher gain really well for the price
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
So if I can only spend !250 I should get the cube but if I can spend 300 I should get the Valvetronix XL 30w?
try them for yourself and see which one you prefer, don't buy something without playing it first
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by Hellfire999
How do pinch harmonics sound on the xl and cube?

well, the cube has better sounding high- gain settings, so pinch harmonics would sound better on it. and since you asked that question, I'm assuming you play metal. in that case, get the cube. however, the valvetronix is a lot more versatile, so you might want to get that and a good metal pedal.
Quote by Hellfire999
But I read somewhere else for metal XL Valvetronix>Cube>Valvetronix, is that true?

I haven't tried out the valvetronix XL yet, so I couldn't tell you. I'd guess that the XL would basically be the valvetronix with better metal settings, though, so it would probably be about as versatile as the valvetronix.
A)Guitar is 20% of tone.
B)So what?
C)It sounded good to me on a crappy desktop mic so it probably would sound good to me in a store?
EDIT: The vox 30w xl amp has a 12 inch speaker instead of a 10 inch speaker on the cube and it's lower gain sibling
Last edited by Hellfire999 at Sep 22, 2007,
Well I didn't watch the vid, but if the guy is playing through a Tele and you're playing through an LP, there will be hella lotta difference. True, your amp will affect your tone the most, but if you have two totally opposite guitars...
Ben
Quote by Hellfire999
A)Guitar is 20% of tone.
B)So what?
C)It sounded good to me on a crappy desktop mic so it probably would sound good to me in a store?
EDIT: The vox 30w xl amp has a 12 inch speaker instead of a 10 inch speaker on the cube and it's lower gain sibling

No, he's right. And applying percentages to tone is just stupid, IMO.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by muffinman123192
Well I didn't watch the vid, but if the guy is playing through a Tele and you're playing through an LP, there will be hella lotta difference. True, your amp will affect your tone the most, but if you have two totally opposite guitars...

Yeah, So the tone would sound more fat with an LP. Better for Metal anyways.
I got to play the VOX XL 30 watt at Sam Ash today, and while I thought it sounded pretty good, I didn't feel that the highest gain settings where enough.

Then I tried the Cube 30x and knew instantly that I liked the sound better. The Rectifier setting definitely had more gain, maybe even the Metal Stack too.

If I didn't already have the Micro Cube I'd definitely get the 30x, and still may do so if I can't find a Tube Amp/Effects setup that'll do very high gain Metal in the $300 range (yeah, not likely).

-Just my opinions, for whatever they're worth.