What do you think is better, tabs or chords? Most people say tabs, cause its easy to read, but some say they're kinda the same. But still, some people do preffer chords...what do you think?

p.s: I wanna know what you think cause am still a beginner at guitar and I want to know what to start with tabs or chords...
Most songs don't have chords...

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

chord are fine for rhythm parts, tabs are for more detailed playing.

ordinary chords tabbed irritate the **** out of me.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
Quote by Music & Guitars
What do you think is better, tabs or chords? Most people say tabs, cause its easy to read, but some say they're kinda the same. But still, some people do preffer chords...what do you think?

p.s: I wanna know what you think cause am still a beginner at guitar and I want to know what to start with tabs or chords...

I'd learn basic open chords first - your majors, minors, and dominant 7 chords. Then learn barre chords. You can supplement that with learning particular songs through chords and/or tablature, but you really should have a base of at least 15-20 chords.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Hdap101

wouldnt say it better
Quote by Dirk Gently
I'd learn basic open chords first - your majors, minors, and dominant 7 chords. Then learn barre chords. You can supplement that with learning particular songs through chords and/or tablature, but you really should have a base of at least 15-20 chords.

yeah am starting to learn chords first...i get lessons in school and my teacher is teaching me chords...but i would like to learn tabs cause it looks easy and it is easy to understand....but my friend says chords and tabs are kinda the same so it doesn't matter...
Quote by Music & Guitars
yeah am starting to learn chords first...i get lessons in school and my teacher is teaching me chords...but i would like to learn tabs cause it looks easy and it is easy to understand....but my friend says chords and tabs are kinda the same so it doesn't matter...

Your friend is a n00b.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by p.stick

yes they do
Quote by Hdap101

i know they annoying the crap out of me too lol
depends on the song. if a song has some chord with a crazy name but easy fingering, its annoying in a chord list, but not so bad in a tab. but in a tab, its annoying to see open chords tabbed sometimes.
Quote by p.stick

Many songs are actually written around chords actually. especially acoustic stuff. frequently acoustic artists play seemingly very complicated parts, changing chords after every phrase.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
Quote by ozzybob
yes they do

Those crappy chord ones sounds nothing like the real song.

Show me a metal song that is tabbed out in chord format.

BTW TS, don't listen to your friend

Quote by KileManA7X

Quote by p.stick
Those crappy chord ones sounds nothing like the real song.

Show me a metal song that is tabbed out in chord format.

BTW TS, don't listen to your friend

but they are still chords even though they aren't in "chord" format, they are still considered chords
he is ok he tries to teach me how to read tabs and stuff XD

so guys...whats better chords or tabs? :P
Quote by ozzybob
but they are still chords even though they aren't in "chord" format, they are still considered chords

I don't quite understand what you mean...

Quote by KileManA7X

Quote by p.stick

o.k. if you are looking at a tab for a metal song and you see this -

e------
b------
g------
d--2---
a--2---
e--0---

that is techincally a chord. even though it doesn't tell what the chord is, it is still a chord

the reason why they don't tell you what the chords are in a song like that is becuase not many people would know what it is.

like if they chorded a metal song, it would be like -

chorus - E5---G5---D5.. and so on.

and there are more to metal songs than just chords. you can't just show them the chords and expect them to learn the song. (well for some people at least)

EDIT: i hope that makes sense haha
Last edited by ozzybob at Sep 22, 2007,
That's what I thought.

You can't actually tab out a song using just chords. + most metal songs have no power chords at all...

Quote by KileManA7X

Quote by p.stick
That's what I thought.

You can't actually tab out a song using just chords. + most metal songs have no power chords at all...

i guess that might be true. i don't know. i don't really listen to that much metal, but all the metal songs i listen to have power chords in them
Quote by ozzybob
that is techincally a chord. even though it doesn't tell what the chord is, it is still a chord

Actually...

Technically, it's not a chord. It's an interval. A power chord is the tonic and the perfect fifth. A "chord" takes at least 3 different notes.

BTW, this is the wrong forum. You should have a mod move this to Guitar Basics or Musician Talk.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Actually...

Technically, it's not a chord. It's an interval. A power chord is the tonic and the perfect fifth. A "chord" takes at least 3 different notes.

BTW, this is the wrong forum. You should have a mod move this to Guitar Basics or Musician Talk.

lol i that is true i forgot about that. i'm not really a big theory person. i just consider it a "5th" chords or whatever
Quote by Dirk Gently
Actually...

Thank you.

And, to TS - I believe your friend is attempting to teach you how to play some basic chords, then how to read tabs; the two ideas are unrelated, and you should learn both rather early in your guitar playing career.

While you're at it, try to avoid tabs when you first hear a song you like, and force yourself to try and figure it out. It's hard but in the long run your ear will be much better.
Quote by TimmyPage06
Thank you.

And, to TS - I believe your friend is attempting to teach you how to play some basic chords, then how to read tabs; the two ideas are unrelated, and you should learn both rather early in your guitar playing career.

While you're at it, try to avoid tabs when you first hear a song you like, and force yourself to try and figure it out. It's hard but in the long run your ear will be much better.

thanks ^^ so am guessing chords are better than tabs?
^ Knowing chords gives you an understanding of music and how it's made. Knowing tabs just makes you a player piano.
Hi, I'm Peter
I prefer Chords. I read Tabs when i want to learn solo.
What the fuck is wrong with me?

OH YE, THE FLYING FUCKS BAND!
I'm still not convinced what this thread is actually about... A tab is a way of writing music, and chords are notes bunched together to sound good. It's like asking "So do you like calculators or marshmallows better?"

What's this thread about?!
Quote by p.stick

Most metal songs have plenty of power chords... Unless you're only talking about crazy tech death and super proggy stuff. But that's not what most metal is.
^ He's trying to figure out what he should focus on learning, since he's a beginner.
Hi, I'm Peter
I prefer tabs. When i first started playing i was really into lead guitar
so i focused more on scales. As i learned more and more I found that
I kind of hurt myself by not learning my chords. I could solo in any key
when i jammed with my friends...but when they said stuff like..
* lets play a 12 bar blues..key of C..for a harmonic solo.* i would be like "huh?"
I didnt know my progressions..and after they would tell me..I'd have to
use the roots to play power chords. power chords just dont always sound
as good.

Tabs..
Tabs are good for a person with limited knowledge of chords. They are
really good for people that play alot of covers.

I myself like tabs..but they are not better or worse. It just depends on how
you learn and how you interpret. I find it harder to play songs written in chords..

My advice to you is to learn your chords ..and chord progressions..
The cool thing about the chords is that alot of songs written in tab
form have to chord letters written above the lyrics when they change.
Learn your chords and progressions and corresponding scales.
Only learning the tabs will give you limited knowledge of music and when
you start to write your own..you will wonder why some licks work.
Also ...Learning the chords and scales will allow you to play a song..and
make up a solo if it doesnt have one to really put on a killer show.

Jimi Hendrix played the same songs differently alot. The songs always sounded
the same because he stayed in the same chords. Thats a cool thing that i learned
from his music. You can also play different licks from the same chord roots..
or the scales to spice up an inprov. If you mix that with playing chords in
different possitions it can be awesome and even though it will be pleasant and
unpredictable to the ear..
none of the notes will sound out of place
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Sep 23, 2007,
Quote by p.stick
That's what I thought.

Metal genre is famous for dropped tunings...
The whole purpose of a Dropped Tuning is to make chord progressions
easier to play at roadrunner pace.

Standard...
e
b
g
d-5
a-5
E-3

Drop-D
e
b
g
d-5
a-5
D-5

Drop-C
d
a
f
c-7
g-7
C-7

same power chord...

tabbing out metal songs in chord form would probably be a waste of time...
it would be alot more confusing than just looking at the CHORDS lined up

why would u want to see..

pm*G5G5G5G5G5G5G5G5C5G5G5C5G55D5G5G5D5G5G5?
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Sep 23, 2007,
this is the first time i hear the term chord format... WTF? am i missing something here... i know for certain that tabs are way of reading music by looking at the number fretted on that certain string.... even chords wich are a group of notes are tabbed.... there's only two ways of reading guitar music sheets (depending on how they're written) tabbed or standard notation.... when in a site they offered you the tabs of a song they refer mostly to the riffs, and solo parts. The chords options show you the chords you can use to play that song with chords only! they just show you the name of the chord over the word lyric where you start playing it, they only give the name, and is not tabbed, cuz you're already supposed to know the composition of such given chord....

that's to my understaing.... correct me if am wrong!!!
Quote by p.stick

All songs have chords, I'd like to see a song without a single chord being played.

However, I can understand what you're getting at.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG