I have a cheap washburn electric. I would like to wire in a switch of somesort so i could make the humbuckers run as singles. ANyway of doing this?
yea its called coil tapping, u need a special pot and a diagram
Guitars-
Schecter S-1 Elite
Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone SG Faded
Epiphone Sheraton II

Amps-
Peavey Valveking 212

Pedals-
Dunlop CryBaby
Boss NS-2
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9

CHECK OUT MY BAND AT http://www.myspace.com/noneofusalone
push-pull pot and a diagram from Guitarelectronics.com and some solder and an iron, and ull be good.
are the humbuckers 2 conductor or 4 conductor?
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
You can also emulate the sound of a single coil as an effect, single/double/piezo pickup simulations are on a few multi effects pedals, never used them though. I remember having a guitar with push/pull coil splitters on the humbuckers, never used it either though.
Ive searched the internet and cannot find a diagram for my guitar. I would also just like to add a toggle switch if thats possible. Ive read a bunch of **** but i guess i just dont get it. Every damn guitar looks different.
I cant figure out how to split the coils...i unhooked one of them to see what would happen and everything went dead.
Quote by Skithis
I have a cheap washburn electric. I would like to wire in a switch of somesort so i could make the humbuckers run as singles. ANyway of doing this?

I don't think you can. You normally can't wire a coil SPLIT with factory pickups.

Now, why did you already unhook one of your pickups so quickly, if you don't know what you're doing? Do you even own a soldering iron? You need one to do this mod, and to fix your guitar now.
So I read that if i can shut down the opposite of each humbucker, that leaves me with 2 singles that are opposite. But how can i shut down just 1 side with a switch. There are only 1 hot and 1 ground coming off of each pickup.

Plus, if i shut down opposite sides and that leaves me with two singles that are opposite eachother, wont htat just be like 1 humbucker? Or is that the tom delonge type sound im looking for?
Actually, i solder like a champ. I wire like a champ. I just have never worked with an instrument before. Im still trying to figure out the inner workings of an electric. But yes its all soldered back together already.

lol i know i sound like a 9 year old kid. Thanks for the help.
For you to be able to wire a humbucker with a coil split, you need to have 4 wire pickups. Do your pickups have this?

In any case, I don't really like coil splitting. It's usually a pale imitation of single coils, and often sounds thin. I like parallel wiring much better.

guitarelectronics.com, for future reference, has good diagrams.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wiccan_woman/260139896/

thats exactly what my guitar looks like. The pickup towards the rear has a white, black, and a shield wire. The two towards the front have a black and white a piece. So i gues ill go ahead and answer my own question and say that it cant be done because the rear pickup cant be switched becuase its all wired internally.
but maybe i would switch off the back humbucker and use just 1 in the front?
Quote by RATM62592
yea its called coil tapping, u need a special pot and a diagram

its called coil splitting. tapping is something completely different.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
our you could add the extra wires to the pickup ... check projectguitar forums
Quote by Nick111111111
Am i missing some thing
car speaker=12 watts
outlet=120 watts
?????????????????

laws of phisics down the dump....... volts and watts are the same
unmount the humbucker ... generaly there are just 2 singles linked together with the start of one coil to the ground and the end to the other as hot ...(or the other way around) and the end of the first one and the start of the second coil linked together....
just break the wire linking both coils unground the one that was soldered to the base of the pickup and there you go end and start of both coils then just solder the ground to the base of the pickup
its totally possible i have done it and it worked
Quote by Nick111111111
Am i missing some thing
car speaker=12 watts
outlet=120 watts
?????????????????

laws of phisics down the dump....... volts and watts are the same
oh. i just didn't know if it's a beginner thing. cuz the threadstarter here didn't seem like he knows anything bout pickup coils.

now i get it. thanks.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by forsaknazrael
There's a thread on it here, if you wanna see.

i'd like to see it even though theres not much point. could serve as a temporary alternative to buying new pickups for a while.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp