hey everyone. So i've been playing for close to 5 years now ( self taught) and now i've been really thinking of goin to college for music. The only problem is.. i can't read sheet music and i dont know thoery all that well... i just want to know where the heck do i start? should i just go get a begginer's guide to playing guitar book and sift my way though it hoping to not lose focus.. or should i just go find a guy to give me lessons.. simply put.. whats the best way to start? Thanks
Lessons would be the best bet. Since you are already a good guitarist (I would assume after 5 years) the teacher will be able to just fly through the stuff you need to learn in an accelerated course of something.

Im doing the same thing with my theory course. Ive never had lessons although I know quite a bit for never having lessons, so I can just fly through so much of it now that I have a teacher.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Lessons and research theory on the internet (as in google "music theory")

And read the sticky, its always good for beginners
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
think in less than a year i would be able to pass the auditon to get into the course for next year? i'm at a level right now where im doing 6 string sweeps so.. and its funny cuz in my band im playing solos.. but i have no "actual" knowledge of what im doing .. its kind of funny.. take me 4 hours to put together a solo, when i just want to make one on the spot...
i think lessons are the best way to go.
it's easier to mantain focus when you're identifying with a person instead of writing.
fo sho.
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Squirrels are fluffy bits of gay.

Quote by LordPino
My penis is so big it has its own hands.
Yeah, aparently mustain was like that. I think he said something along those lines. He went out and got a teacher too.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
nice. lessons it is.. now i just have to track someone down.. i'm from a very small town.. lol
Quote by uptheirons17
nice. lessons it is.. now i just have to track someone down.. i'm from a very small town.. lol

Its not that hard really. What Im doing is taking them right from a piano teacher (my old band teacher actually) and I live in a small town as well. If there is at least 1000 people living there, I guarantee you you will find someone.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
5 years? Little theory?

I take it that you use your ear to a fair extent? If yes, then that's a big plus. The music college people, like Berklee, really like those candidates with good ear harmony.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
In my opinion, theory is for those people who don't have good ear-training, and don't know what two notes, when combined, will sound like.

If you have good ear harmony, you really couldn't ask for more. Why? Because, if you have riff/lick/solo in mind, you will know exactly which notes to play!
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
yeah.. i guess.. but then when people say... play a lydian dominant 7th or w.e u know what there tlaking about.. haha. Or if i get stuck then i do know what to do.. you know..
Yes, that sucks. See, my other guitarist has almost perfect ear tuning - got offered a scholarship from Berklee! - but whenever I speak in terms of modes, scales, intervals, etc, he just nods, not understanding a thing! So, yeah, theory is important. Unless you want the college people telling you to play something like, "Tee doo, dee, doo,doo, dum, dum, tee"
Myspace Streaming Only