Hey guys, I just bought a set of "Silk and Steel" strings for my acoustic; the thing is, I hadn't realized it was made for folk acoustics. The bass strings are composed of nylon and steel (copper-plated). I was wondering if putting this on my acoustic (A Washburn dreadnaught fitted with 11 Elixir's) would mess up the amount of tension on the neck. The gauge of the silk and steel is 0.0115 - 0.047in.

Also, I realized that fretting has become tedious but it's not due to the action; I've gotten the saddle shaved down twice but it still seems hard to fret. Could this be due to the nut?

Thanks for your time.
Its okay to string nylon strings on a steel string guitar. You just cant do it the other way (steel strings on nylon).

Yes, the nut might to high, or the truss rod might need adjustment.
Not Enough AssHatery
I use D'addario Silk and Steels on my dreadnought, and they work fine. They're great strings and my #1 choice. They would also help a bit with your fretting problem, as they're quite soft.

For your fretting problem, how high are the strings at the 12 fret?
Quote by KillahSquirrel
I use D'addario Silk and Steels on my dreadnought, and they work fine. They're great strings and my #1 choice. They would also help a bit with your fretting problem, as they're quite soft.

For your fretting problem, how high are the strings at the 12 fret?

I don't have an accurate measurement since I took it to a local luthier but I believe it's about 3-4/64th on an inch. I ought to check it out though.

Thanks for the advice.
Why would Silk and Steel be a nylon set? And aren't folk acoustics commonly known as steel stringed acoustic guitars anyway?
Quote by imLoUsY
Why would Silk and Steel be a nylon set? And aren't folk acoustics commonly known as steel stringed acoustic guitars anyway?

Well, it says that the bass strings are silver-plated copper on nylon and steel. I was just wondering if putting them on a standard dreadnought would mess up the tension on the neck.