Hey!

I am thinking about buying a new guitar, right now i have a beginners one and its about time to get a good one

I am thinking about this setup

IBANEZ MB RG320EXBK with a FENDER Frontman 65 R

But i dont know whats good and whats not.

I want a quality guitar with good sound, mostly going to play all sort of rock music. Mostly punkrock. So a amp with good distortion would be nice.

Will this setup be good or you recomend something else? Prize total will be 8.000 SEK which is 1225 US dollar.
Last edited by Jaekae at Sep 22, 2007,
Will you be using the trem? If not, you should get a hardtail. If you are planning to use it, you might want to look at an S470 or an RG1570. They are a bit more expensive, but they've got good tremolo systems, the Edge III on the RG320 is considered to be quite bad.
That amp is no good for rock music. I've heard many good things about the Roland Cube 60's.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I say, a big huge fat YES to the hardtail idea sugested by kyrreca. There beautiful guitars.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Roland cubes will definently be a better by for heavier stuff, but if your just going for some ac/dc or van halen I think this setup should suit you.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
oki , i dont even know whats the tremolo is used for i will probably not use it , ill look around some more for a amp
Don Not get a Frontman. Idk how much it is, but try to get a tube combo for the same price. Try a Crate Palomino sreies or an Epi tube amp. And dont be put off by the fact that some are only 5w or so, 5 tube watts are enough for bedroom practice, and about 15 or 20 are good enuff for practices, maybe with an extension cab tho.
Pretty sure EMG's aren't great for versatility or genre diversity.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Yeah, get something without a trem, or at least not a floyd rose. I would suggest a Fender mim fat strat and if you like the trem on it, than you can upgrade to an axe with a floyd. As for an amp, I would suggest a Roland cube if you play metal, or a VOX Valvetronix if you play more blues/classic rock.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Quote by Jaekae
oki , i dont even know whats the tremolo is used for i will probably not use it , ill look around some more for a amp

If you're only starting out, don't get a locking trem, they're not as much as a pain i nthe ass to set up as some people make them out to be, but if i was a complete newbie i'd be depressed by it

I'd go for the hardtail Ibby's and the Roland Cube30/60 would be good for you
Quote by kyrreca
Will you be using the trem? If not, you should get a hardtail. If you are planning to use it, you might want to look at an S470 or an RG1570. They are a bit more expensive, but they've got good tremolo systems, the Edge III on the RG320 is considered to be quite bad.

s470 cost twice as much as i can afford with and the 1570 is trhee times as much
that amp does not have the best distortion. I personlly dont like it but thats just me. my guitarest for my band has that amp and I wish he would run it over. My other guitarest has a ibanez guitar and i have played it and i LOVE IT and i play an ibanez bass and LOVE IT soo get the guitar but a different amp.
oki could someone give some tip for some good amps, because i have almost no knowledge at all about amps.

Peavey Bandit II is garbage or good?
Quote by philipisabeast
If you're only starting out, don't get a locking trem, they're not as much as a pain i nthe ass to set up as some people make them out to be, but if i was a complete newbie i'd be depressed by it

I'd go for the hardtail Ibby's and the Roland Cube30/60 would be good for you

does the Roland 30X have a nice sound for punkrock music?
^ Yeah it'll give you a decent OD, the VOX modellers would be worth a look

Oh and the S470 doesn't have a badtrem at all
Quote by Jaekae
ah oki was alot more expensive on the page i looked at.

But what is it thats bad with having a tremolo?
And for what is it used?

Nothing's bad about having one, they can just be hard to maintain if you don't know what you're doing, and a lot of begginners get frusterated and ditch the whole idea of a trem altogether.

It's tough to get used to as opposed to a hardtail, but it gives you more options playing wise, what with awesome divebombs and epic harmonic manipulation.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Having a trem isn't bad if you're using it other than that its a waste of space on your guitar and IMO lowers the sustain and in some cases worsens your overall guitar sound. But alot of these problems have been overcome with today's trems, so the difference between having one and not isn't as large a gap as it used to be. but essentially a trem stretches and compresses the strings to create and awesome sound you can't achieve with your fingers alone. just listen to 80s hair metal bands and you'll here it being used and abused. If you play punk its not much use to you, as punk is not about fancy mechanics.

a wise man on ug once said, "trems are like perfume, if you use them just enough and don't over do it, it adds a whole new level to your performance. But if you overuse it you will reek"...or smthin like that...i cahnged up the wording a bit....anyways, i suggest don't buy a trem guitar until you're sure you will use it, even then u can just get a multi-effects pedal.

hope this helped
Quote by High_o
i take the strings off. gives me my signature tone

Quote by Jinskee
Wasn't Jimmy Page in Metallica?

๑۩۞۩๑All You Need Is Love๑۩۞۩๑
i have decided to get a s420 or a rgb321 , with a Roland Cube30x amp

thx for all help
ive just found a Ibanez SZ520CTBK guitar. Cheaper than a S470, cos of a sale.

anyone know if its anygood?

Quote by Jaekae
ive just found a Ibanez SZ520CTBK guitar. Cheaper than a S470, cos of a sale.

anyone know if its anygood?

That would be a very good choice for you, I think.
^ Yes that is a very good guitar, as you're only just starting, i'd stay away from locking trems such as the S470 has and other tremmed RG models