Yeah, everything is different. Telling the difference by ear is pretty easy. Nylon strings(generally) sound mellow, soft, smooth, whilst steel sound brighter, crisper.
yeah nylon strings have a much warmer thicker and softer tone to them
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Well if you use steel strings on a classical guitar you will have some kindling for your next camp out!
Quote by stephen_rettie
i love the sound of nylon but you cant bend, at all so im stuck between the two

liessssssssssssssssssss. I can bend on my cheap Chinese classical guitar better than on a Steel String guitar.
You can bend, but its hard bending on a nylon compared to any steel string guitar even though the strings are more flexible. They roll, which is the problem, if you don't set yourself up perfectly then they just roll under your fingertips, its annoying as.
Quote by confusius
liessssssssssssssssssss. I can bend on my cheap Chinese classical guitar better than on a Steel String guitar.

Yeah well i can't bend my expensive Spanish strings.
IO don't really know what i'm talking about but maybe it depends on tension
I do agree it is difficult to bend the strings but the Nylon strings aren't for bending its manly for the Strum and the Fingerpicking. Though i have seen my friends play me guitar with the bending and all the other stuff. I personally am not ito steel strings so i dont know jack about them
Wrong again!

Flamencos very often use bends, and jazz guitarists with a classical guitar background do as well, for example: Charlie Byrd!

And yes, string tension has to do with it, though I have mine at medium tension(I never really liked the high tension much) so they are easy to bend.
Quote by confusius
Wrong again!

Flamencos very often use bends, and jazz guitarists with a classical guitar background do as well, for example: Charlie Byrd!

And yes, string tension has to do with it, though I have mine at medium tension(I never really liked the high tension much) so they are easy to bend.

Flamenco, really? I listen to Paco de Lucia and from the limited sources i have i dont see him bend, but i see alot of HO's and PO's, and alot of Harmonics. Never heard of Charlie Byrd and the only Jazz i'v listened to was like The Rippingtons, Peter White(They do Bend on Nylon). My strings are Low Tenstion so they dont Strain my fingers to much though i can play with Medium and High Tention Strings
Paco de Lucia isn't all the flamenco there is, and flamenco guitarists do bend. Not the same way a blues guitarist may do so, but they do bend.