I've been saving for a MIM Fat Strat for a while($215, about half there), but today, when I was looking at classifieds, I found a MIJ '89 for $350. My parents say they'll lend me the rest of the cash if I pay them back later, but only cause it could be sold at anytime. The only problem, is its SSS, so could single coils handle enough distortion to play Zeppelin, White Stripes, Velvet Revolver, and Guns'n'Roses? The majority of the bands I play use Strats, but those are the exceptions. I don't play a whole lot of any of those, except for Zeppelin. So can single coils handle the distortion to play those? Thanks!
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

You should be able to get a suitable sound for the music you want to play with single coils. Down the road when you have the cash you can simply replace the bridge single coil with one of the various mini-humbuckers that fit in a single coil slot.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
yeah the 2 and 4 positions are noise cancelling ( i think even more so than humbuckers) So you can use those when using high gain. I play an MIM standard strat in a room filled with halogen lights no problem using the 2 and 4
yea, i will only use 2 at a time so i dont get a nasty "humming" or buzzing, and i get a nice distortikn from my squier guitar and marshall mg amp, so u should b fine with that
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
I use my MIA Strat for all distortion, I actually prefer its cutting tone to that of a humbucker
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
depends on ur amp.

ive got a couple of strats and sometimes ill use a pedal to get a little heavier.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Ok, thanks for the replies!
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Considering Page used a Tele for I and at various times throughout Zeppelin, I think you should be fine for that
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Considering Page used a Tele for I and at various times throughout Zeppelin, I think you should be fine for that

You read my mind.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
You will be fine, it is the amp and the pedals that do the work. To be fair though, a himbucker does have a distinct sound, and if that is what you are after you can add it at a later date. The single coils stacked do not quite get there imo, but a lot of people recommend them so who am I to question it.

Craig
Floyd Rose DST-2
Vox AD15VT
You have a chance to get an MIJ '89 Strat for $350 and you're still thinking about it? If its in good shape its worth a lot more than the asking price and plays and sounds as good as most MIA Strats (my opinion.)
If you want high output pickups you could get Lace Sensors. Still single coils, no 60-cycle hum, and great for Jonny Greenwood, Clapton and Billy Corgan sounds. And I'd get the guitar.
Quote by Jimbo999
I use my MIA Strat for all distortion, I actually prefer its cutting tone to that of a humbucker

The stock MIA Strat coils are really good IMHO.
Quote by fretboarddragon
Just get it and get one of the mini humbuckers down the road. You'll be fine.

No need for minibuckers. SSS is better IMO. People like to spread this misconception that singles can't distort for some reason.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by CORT noob
No need for minibuckers. SSS is better IMO. People like to spread this misconception that singles can't distort for some reason.

True, but high output pickups are going to get more distortion than lower output pickups. I love distorted single coils, personally, just some people don't like the 60 cycle hum at high gain, particularly if they already have a noisy set up.
Quote by CORT noob

I love the sound of distorted Strat single-coils. Yes humbuckers are great too, just different. And its hard to find a powerful humbucker that doesn't lose definition and character at high distortion levels. One reason I love my HSS Strat is the humbucker doesn't sound much different than a single. Don't know why. The Japanese have a bad rep for electronics on Strats, but I would never change these pickups. All I need is to get a shielding kit, maybe change the pots.
Distorted single coils have definition, punch and character. Anyone who doesn't have a good single coil Strat is missing out.