for my birthday im going to be getting my second bass. im pretty good by now, and want something better than my starter bass, lol. (id have upgraded sooner but have no cash myself, lol) i am thinking an Epiphone Thunderbird as i mostly play metal and its supposed to be a good bass, and is only 300$s which is basically my max (or close to it.

id definatly get it, except that a few songs use a 5 string and i wanna be able to play those without ****ing with my tuning, so i was thinking about a 5-string. but i dont know any that are fairly cheap, any ideas, or experience with either of them?
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
I would stay away from the Epi Thunderbird. They have quite a few problems. What is your current bass and amp? Unless there's a significant problem with the bass or you already have a good amp then spend that $300 on an amp.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

I'd agree with aixel and avoid the thunderbird, I know some say it's a nice bass, but I've heard so many reports of it's awful neckdive. Also, if you need to upgrade your amp before your bass look into that. Otherwise I'd suggest looking at Schecters, ESPs or MIM Fenders.
signature
Epis Tbirds are awful. Huge neckdive issue and really high action from the factory. Upgrade your amp, it will improve your sound in ways you can't imagine.
Unless you have a really crappy current bass I'm with the amp upgraders.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
i recently did upgrade my amp, its not great, but its definatly decent and way better than my old one. my amp is a Crate BT15 and my bass is a Silvertone. besides the epi thunderbird is there any other good metal type basses for 300$? i may be able to get 400, but thats the absolute max.
EDIT: does anyone know if the traben array five string is good? its affordable, and 5 strings so it seems like a good choice. the BC rich ones are so ****ing sick looking...and all over 600$
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Last edited by The Evil Hat at Sep 22, 2007,
Quote by The Evil Hat
i recently did upgrade my amp, its not great, but its definatly decent and way better than my old one. my amp is a Crate BT15 and my bass is a Silvertone. besides the epi thunderbird is there any other good metal type basses for 300$? i may be able to get 400, but thats the absolute max.
EDIT: does anyone know if the traben array five string is good? its affordable, and 5 strings so it seems like a good choice. the BC rich ones are so ****ing sick looking...and all over 600$

yea, go for a new amp first, then check out basses, and if you're looking for basses better than what you got, you should save up some more money, it will be a lot easier to find the tone and reliabllity you want with only 300 bucks

and don't get a thunderbird
Quote by Dinkydaisy
Unless you have a really crappy current bass I'm with the amp upgraders.

+1
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
i've become nearly obsessed with the BC Rich widow 5 string, its 700 na dim really considering using B-day/ chanuka/ my savings for it. is it worth it?
^^yes it is worth doing that i did that last year and went from looking at an ibenez SR355 at my birthday finally getting my ESP B405 and im so glad i did that.

but for $300 tw ogood 5 strings are ESP155 (really good bass for the money) and the Ibanez SR300 wich is an okay choice.

but seriously i recomend you get an amp two good aptions are the fender bassman 100 and the ampeg BA115
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
im in a almost identical situation with even the same bass
id say get a new amp if yours is bad but if yours is ok/good then get the t-bird
and dont worry about the neck dive my friend said that its v simple 2 fix
its not rape if you shout suprise
Last edited by my-name-is-mud at Sep 23, 2007,