Two questions

1. Does replacing a preamp tube with a more high end model, like the stock 12ax7 in the Hartke HA-3500 (the head I own) with say, a Mullard 12ax7, change your tone much or at all?

and

2. How would you go about replacing the tube, is it simply a pull out the old and stick in the new (go ahead, laugh it up) replacement or is it more complicated? Basically, is it a DIY job?

Thanks
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
personally i have no idea but you'd be better off asking your questions in the guitar building and customising forum. there are a few really good amp builders in there who could answer all your questions
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
there is a slight difference you would have to REALLY know how your amp sounded before to know the difference.

my favorite tubes are electro harmonix ..dunno just something about them. i also like groove tubes.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
i think it could potentially change your tone ALOT, as for changing your tubes, it is a DIY i just dk how to do it, i think you unscrew one, screw in the other
they have little wire poles that stick out it's pretty strieght forward you pull out and push in
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Thanks guys.

Emergency, is your power amp solid or tube? Because I was thinking about selling my head and investing in a new setup something like yours but I haven't been able to find much for tube power amps. I found one carvin that was all tube 100 watts for around $600 which is a wee bit out of my price range. Thank god for eBay.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
guy's about the tube's, is it the same prinipal for a combo amp? An ampeg ba115hpt is what im effectively asking if it's the same principal with that,
Quote by chinese_jazz
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.

Jaco Pastorius

E-A-G-L-E-S!!
If you can get to the tube then yes. If you can't I would leave it.

If you are untrained amps are highly dangerous. The capcitors inside contain thousands of volts even when the unit is turned off and unplugged from the wall!

Always leave it upto the professionals. Better than getting a nasty electric shock.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I've already taken off the cover and had a look at the insides, I just didn't try to remove the tube for fear or breaking it or damaging anything else inside.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
I've done it several times on my old guitar amp, it's not a problem. Changing the company of the 12ax7 tube won't make that much of a tonal difference, but changing it for something like a 12ay7 or and ECC86 (if that exists/isn't a power amp tube) has drastic differences.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i have a solid state power amp. mine's never let me down and IMO tone is in the preamp not the power amp. (for bass anyway i can see where guitarists like tube power amps) it's HEAVY tho i cant get my rack ontop of my 8x10 by myself =(

some good brands for bass poweramps are Crown, QSC
and nady also makes some reliable cheaper stuff. yamaha might be good to but never tied them.
my dream is the ampeg power amp but i wouldent go out and actually buy it unless i was professionaly touring alot and was given a large allotment of money to replace/update/get new gear. or there was a killer deal for one.
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
So how would you rate your tone? Is it comparable(sp?) to all tube heads? If I don't find a great deal on eBay when I do sell my HA3500 I may go the seperate pre and power amp route.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by hatebreed219
Two questions
1. Does replacing a preamp tube with a more high end model, like the stock 12ax7 in the Hartke HA-3500 (the head I own) with say, a Mullard 12ax7, change your tone much or at all?
and
2. How would you go about replacing the tube, is it simply a pull out the old and stick in the new (go ahead, laugh it up) replacement or is it more complicated? Basically, is it a DIY job?
Thanks

If you go to this website it will explain just how different tubes/valves perform although they may have the same model number http://www.watfordvalves.com.
In the UK they are usualy ECC83 which is a uk equivelant in the preamp stage.

Try and remove the tubes/valves with a straight pull, also remember that the pins don't complete a full circle and whatever you do don't bend the pins but most important of all take out the mains lead as well as switching off the amp.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
yeah my tone is exactly like the Ampeg SVT 3 or 4 pro
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by thefitz
I've done it several times on my old guitar amp, it's not a problem. Changing the company of the 12ax7 tube won't make that much of a tonal difference, but changing it for something like a 12ay7 or and ECC86 (if that exists/isn't a power amp tube) has drastic differences.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I have some q's now:

My SVT-3 Pro has a tube pre-amp. On the Ampeg site, it lists "Pre-Amp Tubes" as 3 x 12ax7 and "Driver Tubes" as 1 x 12ax7 and 1 x 12au7.

If I wanted/needed to change tubes, how would I know, and which ones would I change? Pre-Amp or Driver?

Also, for example, can I just replace the 12ax7 tubes with any other tube?

You mentioned that it drastically changes the tone - how so?
Pff, I have no idea exactly what each tube does. I do know that the 12au7 distorts faster than the 12ax7, which makes sense since it's in the driver section. Usually, tubes distort quicker than others and that's why you'd want to mix and match.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Watford valves (see above link just for information) offer the same model valves/tubes for different applications, some are designed to overdrive early whilst others provide a clean sound far longer as more imput is given; these valves are more suitable for Bass applications, the same applies to output valves such as EL34s 6L6s KT88s.
What I sugest is to read up on these issues and learn, In the 70s I parted with the best amp that I ever had (an Orange 120 Graphic) because I didn't know about different options regarding valves it had valves more suited for guitar not bass and when cranked up it startwed to break up too soon.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn