Page 1 of 2
If metallica erased their previous history (Kill em all to ajfa) , and released their debut album in 1991 (The black album/ self titled), would you rate the album differently and hold it up in a different light.

(And would you also think they would have a huge tie in with the "alternative" explosion at the time...since that album sounds pretty grungy to me imo.)
Last edited by BerryTree at Sep 22, 2007,
They would be praised to the skies. My opinion still would be the same though, since I've always liked Black album.
wouldnt be the same
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
I think every album of theirs is brilliant, apart from St Anger. I can't really listen to it. I'm not jumping on the band wagon, even if it was seen as a great album in "nu-metal" or some crap I'd still have the same opinion.

The fact they didn't play any live all tour from that album was brilliant imho.
No Cliff?!?!!!
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Quote by BerryTree
If metallica erased their previous history (Kill em all to ajfa) , and released their debut album in 1991 (The black album/ self titled), would you rate the album differently and hold it up in a different light.

(And would you also think they would have a huge tie in with the "alternative" explosion at the time...since that album sounds pretty grungy to me imo.)

Yea, I'd hate them pretty much.
Black Album is okay. But Post-Black Album is just ****e.
Spiral Out
Thats an interesting question. If metallica wouldn't be there in the 80's then maybe Slayer, or Anthrax would be the Biggest bands out there. Then Metallica would be be different ... no mullets probably, no monsters of rock , and maybe Dave mustaine would be in the band with CLIFF . But there's endless possibilities to what might of happened.
so basically what your saying is:

"what if a band had never made any of its best, most defining albums?"

kinda like asking what AC/DC would be like if they had formed in 1980 aint it...

you phail at threadmaking.

the only good thing that i can think of coming from metallica not having existed in the 80s, is that Dave Mustaine wouldn't be able to bitch so much about how kirk "stole" his job..
Quote by BerryTree
Ahh I was never a big fan of it for some reason.

Okay imagine a world without Ride The Lightning, or Master Of Puppets.

*Retches again*
Quote by cheames

kinda like asking what AC/DC would be like if they had formed in 1980 aint it...

having that as their first album could distort ones opinion about the band in general, like guns n roses with appetite. Imagine if they started as a thrash band like metallica or megadeth...they would have some different opinions about then after that album....however it was their first album.
Last edited by BerryTree at Sep 22, 2007,
well, its not the same..

but i'll probably still listen to Nothing Else Matters
best song of Black Album IMO.
I got 99 problems and they all bitches
Quote by Jackolas
Okay imagine a world without Ride The Lightning, or Master Of Puppets.

*Retches again*

which of the 2 you like better?
i think RTL is the best album they made.
but more people thing MoP is the best.
I got 99 problems and they all bitches
Quote by BerryTree
having that as their first album could distort ones opinion about the band in general, like guns n roses with appetite. Imagine if they started as a thrash band like metallica or megadeth...they would have some different opinions about then after that album....however it was their first album.

serioudly dude, what the **** are you talking about?
i dont think theyd b seem as the big band they are today...
infact im nt sure that they wudnt have split, cz i reckon alot of theyre albums since m.o.p sell well cz its metallica
gettin rid of the effect the name has would have made the band alot less succesful an lars wd have proly jus buggered off n started a solo project
a walking talking advertisement for population control
Quote by HumanitysDeath

What? well thats your opinion, pre black album was the best, and the black album was pretty good after that it got worse
Manchester United
Quote by HumanitysDeath

Quote by Shabalaba
What? well thats your opinion, pre black album was the best, and the black album was pretty good after that it got worse

Thats exactly what he said dude....
Quote by cheames

the only good thing that i can think of coming from metallica not having existed in the 80s, is that Dave Mustaine wouldn't be able to bitch so much about how kirk "stole" his job..

He fails at thread making because you don't like the question?
Gear:
Schecter C-1 BlackJack
Peavey 5150 II
Ibanez 25W "Tone Blaster"
Fender Starcaster (Not the vintage kind, the Wal-Mart Value kit kind"

If Dimebag22 was a pie, I would cover him with whipped cream and eat his insides...
all i can think of is...

NO MEGADETH!!!!!

BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Quote by will_124
i dont think theyd b seem as the big band they are today...
infact im nt sure that they wudnt have split, cz i reckon alot of theyre albums since m.o.p sell well cz its metallica
gettin rid of the effect the name has would have made the band alot less succesful an lars wd have proly jus buggered off n started a solo project

are you morally against correct spelling?
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
Quote by RageAgainst...

are you morally against correct spelling?

yes

im tired and i reli cant be bothered
a walking talking advertisement for population control
Quote by cheames

imo Metallica was a huge influence, so if there was no Metallica Dave Mustaine wouldn't be bitching about kirk "stealing his job" but there might not even be a Megadeth.-- or at least it would be radically different; I think a lot of early Megadeth stuff was based on Mustaine's anger towards Metallica (look at Mechanix)
thrash till death
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. sig this if you like bagels.
Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo
imo Metallica was a huge influence, so if there was no Metallica Dave Mustaine wouldn't be bitching about kirk "stealing his job" but there might not even be a Megadeth.-- or at least it would be radically different; I think a lot of early Megadeth stuff was based on Mustaine's anger towards Metallica (look at Mechanix)

Of course it was, but he had good reason to be mad. Yes Dave was a drunk and ****, but the same as all the rest of metallica. He got booted out on his ass and replaced like he was nothing. Then he had to go threw YEARS of torment from metallica fans.

Metallica WAS influential. no doubt about it, and i respect metallica for influencing metal. But that doesnt stop me from say that Megadeth had more talent in 1 guitarist than Metallica had combined. Go look up Marty Friedman, that man is amazing.

And Megadeth would indeed be dramatically different.
Metallica is very influential. It would effect Dave Mustaine, which would effect Megadeth, which would then effect Marty Friedman.

No Hanger 18 ;\.
Real eyes realise real lies.
Quote by ProjectDark
Of course it was, but he had good reason to be mad. Yes Dave was a drunk and ****, but the same as all the rest of metallica. He got booted out on his ass and replaced like he was nothing. Then he had to go threw YEARS of torment from metallica fans.

Metallica WAS influential. no doubt about it, and i respect metallica for influencing metal. But that doesnt stop me from say that Megadeth had more talent in 1 guitarist than Metallica had combined. Go look up Marty Friedman, that man is amazing.

And Megadeth would indeed be dramatically different.

exactly.

Quote by BerryTree
so would u guys feel different about the black album if it was their first album not from a metal standpoint...but just as a rock album.

of course. look at their first 4 albums; **legendary** then black album, which is good, but imo not as good as their first four, also black album marks the turning point of Metallica. pretty much everything released after that was dramatically changed (and imo ****y---> with the exception of Disc 2 of Garage Inc)

w/o the previous four albums they wouldn't have a reputation and therefore would not be as big in the thrash metal scene..
thrash till death
Quote by Rad_Sauce, yo
exactly.

of course. look at their first 4 albums; **legendary** then black album, which is good, but imo not as good as their first four, also black album marks the turning point of Metallica. pretty much everything released after that was dramatically changed (and imo ****y---> with the exception of Disc 2 of Garage Inc)

w/o the previous four albums they wouldn't have a reputation and therefore would not be as big in the thrash metal scene..

but that album had the "mainstream" and "broad" appeal that the others didnt...imo regardless if they were new or not, the song enter sandman could've catapulted any band into great heights.
If they hadn't released their pre Black album material, of course we'd all have a different perspective on the band. Though I'd still listen to them, seeing as songs like Fuel and Enter Sandman got me into the band >>
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by BerryTree
but that album had the "mainstream" and "broad" appeal that the others didnt...imo regardless if they were new or not, the song enter sandman could've catapulted any band into great heights.

yes but not so much in the thrash metal scene. as I've said.

it sold way more copies than any other Metallica album, and it was a good album, but the first four influenced so many more bands then black album alone that IF nothing before black album existed they wouldn't really be a thrash metal band... more "just metal" ---> black album was a sellout imo
thrash till death
i wouldve thought of them as a one album wonder if they did that. everything after black album was terrible, but then id think they were starting a comeback with St. Anger. honestly, i dont know why everyone hates that album so much. it wasnt that bad.
Quote by pimpslap1236
i wouldve thought of them as a one album wonder if they did that. everything after black album was terrible, but then id think they were starting a comeback with St. Anger. honestly, i dont know why everyone hates that album so much. it wasnt that bad.

St. Anger had a Nu-Metal-esque sound to it. Most metallica/thrash purists HATED Nu-metal because its simplicity. They got all hot and bothered because its not what the fans were waiting for. It was more for the band. At the time, metallica was going downhill and people believed that they had some of theyre old material still in them. Master of puppets and And justice for all kinda stuff.

Basically, it was like a slap in the face to Die hard Metallica fans.
Quote by pimpslap1236
i wouldve thought of them as a one album wonder if they did that. everything after black album was terrible, but then id think they were starting a comeback with St. Anger.

my thoughts exactly
Quote by pimpslap1236
honestly, i dont know why everyone hates that album so much. it wasnt that bad.

yes it was.
thrash till death
Page 1 of 2