hey dudes, i need a mic to use as an overhead to record my band. if u know of any any good mics that is strong enough to pick up a band and not lose tone like generic computer chatting mics, please send me a link.
-------Gary Coy Smith---------

Epiphone G-400 1966 RI
Dean ML XM
EHX Big Muff
Epiphone Valve Jr
Guitar Rig 4
Shure SM57 for instruments
Shure SM58 for vocal work
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
an mxl 990. their really cheap and decent quality. i acually have an mp3 file of my band playing with using just that mic as an overhead for everything. thats what i did before i got my studio running. i can send you the song if you like so you can see how the mic sounds.
Quote by metalupurass45
an mxl 990. their really cheap and decent quality. i acually have an mp3 file of my band playing with using just that mic as an overhead for everything. thats what i did before i got my studio running. i can send you the song if you like so you can see how the mic sounds.

yea sure, my email is buddyhimself@gmail.com

thanks
-------Gary Coy Smith---------

Epiphone G-400 1966 RI
Dean ML XM
EHX Big Muff
Epiphone Valve Jr
Guitar Rig 4
Riffs and Recordings is where this should be.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

The Bassist in my band uses some kind of condenser Mic, he hangs it in one corner and it picks us up real sweet.
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
Your typical vocal and instrument mikes like Shure SMs won't work well for pickup up a whole band, due to a) their cardiod pattern (which in effect means that anything picked up in the side of the mike sounds pretty ****, you really have to point it at the source of sound) and their sensitivity (or lack of). What you need is a condenser mike (look at Behringers if you want bang for the buck).

BTW moved to riffs and recordings.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
"Proper" mics as a rule won't feedback when facing an amp, although you need to turn the gain down on your amplifier, and not set the volume too high.

Behringers are good value, albeit a bit noisy.

I've not found anything else as consistent in that price range, the next step up in condenser microphone is really going to be at least 4x the price.

You also have to bear in mind that small diaphragm dynamic mikes like the SM57 won't pick up the high and low end frequencies that bass and drums rely on.

A statement like "Shure SM57 for instruments" isn't really helpful, they're only good on guitars, snare and toms. And that's it.
Fact of the matter is though there is not a single mic out there that will sound good on a whole band all by itself. I have heard so many clips of people who get a condenser and then try to record a whole band at once - and then they come to me and ask why it sounds crappy. Just not a good option and should be avoided if possible.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.