Hola, I was planning on purchasing a Gibson SG Special, I was just wondering is this a smart purchase, I really have no major problems in dispensing cash on my next guitar, I was just wondering what everyone thought of the Specials and what other SG's I should look into, Thanks
i seriously came across a special that was a 7-piece body.....you MUST inspect them before you buy them, there are some jewels to be found, but for every one of those there are about 10 lemons
i have one and i must say i really love it, although ive played others that are udder crap. try it out before you buy it, otherwise a good guitar
Quote by Chad11491
i seriously came across a special that was a 7-piece body.....you MUST inspect them before you buy them, there are some jewels to be found, but for every one of those there are about 10 lemons

As in like seven pieces of wood?
WHITE STRIPES

Quote by Placenta_07
I look at boobs and bums and stuff I get really horny and stuff.

PARTY OF SPECIAL THINGS TO DO
Quote by jack_the_ripper
As in like seven pieces of wood?

yes...i've never seen one out of that many (i'm talking about just the body here)

i think that one must have been a mistake for QC, cause all the other one's were 1-2-3 piece
You're going to have to step up to the Standard to get a one-piece, and then check it out to make sure. Nice pieces of mahogany are harder and harder to get. Get one while you can, I heard rumours that the Standards are going to two-piece in the next two years.
Apologies for coming off as a bit of a noob but, what is it like about the 1-2-3 piece or so that makes it worse with more? Just a bit confused, and also, If i get either the special or the standard is it best to leave the pickups they have or change them? Thanks And also I would prefer an SG that comes in Wine Red, so any advice is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by fenix1989uk at Sep 22, 2007,
As far as sound goes if a guitar is two or three piece and the joints are done well it doesn't make a lot of difference (as long as its all mahogany, or all alder etc.) If you get a Standard the pickups are great. Some people change them but I wouldn't.
The big problem with multi-piece bodies is grain-matching. It would be painfully obvious if grain is mismatched in the Heritage Cherry (transparent.) If it's painted and finished properly you won't notice. People spending the large amount of money for a Gibson SG Standard tend to get kind of pissed if its not one piece.
If the Special has the same pickups (490R and 498T) I'd leave them. I think the Special has a 490T in the bridge position instead, but it'll do ok. Might have to raise it slightly higher to get the same output as the neck pickup. Not that much difference.
na special has p90's which are gibson single coil. i have them and they are actually prety nice. i would keep em but try it first, if you dondt like you can switch em out
MY GEAR

1967 gibson sg special (p-90's)

Crate Blue Voodoo 0212 2x12
Quote by crazydiamondII

hendrix was good but he did nothing to change popular music's path.
Duh, I got the Fadeds mixed up with the Special. I like P90's, I wouldn't change them.
Thanks guys Gonna go down to my local guitar shop to try out some SG's, cheers for the help