So, I'm doing this jazz program after school, and we all read sheet music and all that. It's basically brass, woodwinds, drums, bass, and guitars. The thing is, I've been playing jazz lead guitar for a while, but the instructor wants all of the guitars to play rhythm along with the bass and drums. So, I have to memorize LOTS of different chord shapes. But my question is: what's the difference between a dominant 7th, diminished 7th, major 7th, and minor 7th? Also, we have weird chords like F13 and stuff I've never seen before. What's the theory behind those? Thanks.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Well theres plenty of lessons on these if you search it but basically
_7 has a b7 so 1 3 5 b7
_m7 has a minor third as well as a b7 so 1 b3 5 b7
_maj7 has a regular 7th so 1 3 5 7
_dim7 the notes are diminished so 1 b3 b5 bb7.

LEarn these first before moving onto 13th chords, if you play just F7 where it says F13 it should sound alright!
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

What I did was learned moveable 7th chords on with the root on the E, A, and D and its great. Instead of having to learn countless numbers of chords, I learned 12 shapes and I can keep along with almost all jazz standards. Also with what peanut said, if it has 9th or 13 or something like that, just play that 7th anyways for now.

Btw, peanut has listed there most 7th chords, however the half diminished isnt in there. It is 1 b3 b5 b7
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by justin_fraser
What I did was learned moveable 7th chords on with the root on the E, A, and D and its great. Instead of having to learn countless numbers of chords, I learned 12 shapes and I can keep along with almost all jazz standards. Also with what peanut said, if it has 9th or 13 or something like that, just play that 7th anyways for now.

Btw, peanut has listed there most 7th chords, however the half diminished isnt in there. It is 1 b3 b5 b7

Ah yes id forgotten about that, you might also see it notated _m7b5.

I prefer shapes with only 4 notes in them on the higher strings, they sound nicer to my ear most of the time. I know this isn't always possible but having simple chords like that can help with fast changes. Experimentation is key, see what suits you and the situation best
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

13 chord isn't hard, just play an A position seventh chord, but use your ring finger to play the note on the B string and use your pinky to play a note on the same fret right above it on the e string. it's pretty much just 1 3 5 b7 13, and the 13 (aka 6)
How did you learn how to play convincable jazz lead without knowing chord values?
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Quote by VR2005
How did you learn how to play convincable jazz lead without knowing chord values?

my question exactly
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by VR2005

What is 'convincable' jazz lead?
i've known the scales, but never the chord shapes.
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
I'm just curious, how do you not know the qualities of the chords if you know the scales? Did you just learn shapes or something?

Oh and John, yes faking it about sums it up. Well, atleast hitting one chord tone per 3 chords.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
You defiantly should learn how to build all these jazz chords so you can do voice leading. That is when you take the notes of a given chord, and place them on the guitar, and then build the next chord in a similar position to the previous chord, and just keep doing it. It's really helpful if you are playing a fast chart with tricky chord changes. Also you don't have to build you chords with the root because the bass player will be playing that, and your chords don't have to be 1, 3, 5, 7 ect., they can be in any order really as long as you get in the important intervals.
12 fret fury
i knew the scales and the chord shapes, i know about notes and flat 7ths and all that. i really just didn't know the difference between a dominant7th and major 7th. i've never just really dove deep into chords or rhythm, so it's kind of new.
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!