I'm looking to improve my tone, so i'm looking to get up to 3 pedals for my rig. I know I'm going to get a wah for solos (Ibanez Weaping Demon, most likely) but other than this i'm debating what to get. I think i'll probably get an overdrive pedal to go with the distortion on my amp (peavey special 212) for a thicker, heavier tone, good idea? After this i'm pretty much at a loss for what to get, I've thought about getting EQ pedals, compressors, delays and chorus', but it doesn't seem like I'd use any of those too much. Another possibility is not getting a third pedal at all, but if I have the chance to improve my rig, I want to do it. So any suggestions? Thanks for the help.
Oh by the way, I play a lot of different types of music if it matters. Mostly hard rock and metal, though I would like to go from a nice Stevie Ray Vaughan to a Pantera tone fairly easily.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

LETS HEADBANG TO METAL!

If you give a mouse a cookie,satan will get angry
Get a Boss od-3 overdrive and ge-7 eq, I have both and they give my JCM 900 an amazing thick heavy sound.
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
I'd go with the Pedal that my friend has. It like 5 pedals in one device that has Wah, Whammy, Distortion and two others i dont even know what they're called, but the brand is Zoom.

I dont know much about brands
Quote by Linkk
Whammy pedal for sure

It's a possibility, I just have one question: I have the digitech multieffects (again, that's my mistake) and I like the whammy effect, but it can only go one way. Like, you either have to set it to go to a higher octave or a lower octave. Is it the same on the whammy pedal? Because I'd really like to be able to go up and down like a real whammy bar.
Quote by westvipor
I'd go with the Pedal that my friend has. It like 5 pedals in one device that has Wah, Whammy, Distortion and two others i dont even know what they're called, but the brand is Zoom.

I dont know much about brands

eh, I think i've had enough of multieffects pedals.
Quote by si!
I'm looking to improve my tone, so i'm looking to get up to 3 pedals for my rig. I know I'm going to get a wah for solos (Ibanez Weaping Demon, most likely) but other than this i'm debating what to get. I think i'll probably get an overdrive pedal to go with the distortion on my amp (peavey special 212) for a thicker, heavier tone, good idea? After this i'm pretty much at a loss for what to get, I've thought about getting EQ pedals, compressors, delays and chorus', but it doesn't seem like I'd use any of those too much. Another possibility is not getting a third pedal at all, but if I have the chance to improve my rig, I want to do it. So any suggestions? Thanks for the help.
Oh by the way, I play a lot of different types of music if it matters. Mostly hard rock and metal, though I would like to go from a nice Stevie Ray Vaughan to a Pantera tone fairly easily.

Dude...Line 6 pod xt live, it has every thing you need and more. Plus if you get gear box too, it's like having a band in a can.(Yea thats right GUITAR'EOKY) There is a subscription. I just got it about two months ago. All I wanted was some new effects, but when I hooked it up to my computer and found out just what this thing able to do. I fliped out! The pod is great! And up grades ,omg. O.M.G.! Amps, cabs, mods, stomp, mics, effects(to many to list), seven wah pedals, and tweekable let me tell ya. Use it with an amp, use it with a p.a. system, use it with head phones, use in in the studio. It slices it dices you can even cut a nail with it. look how it chops through this tin can, and is still sharp enuf to slice a tomato. All for the low! low! price of about three good pedals.
With the Whammy pedal... I have one and it truly is one of the most awesome pedals...
I too have a Digitech multi-effects (Digitech RP50), and I used the wah and whammy on it with my PROEL volume/expression pedal hooked up and now that I've upgraded everything and gone on a pedal buying spree in the last year or so I've noticed that there is a tremendous difference in sound quality to the multi-effects...

If you really want to get decent sounds of your effects, get them in separate units, cause multi-effects like the RP50's and Zooms aren't always that great in sound quality, as convenient and cheap as they are.
Check out my rig in my account profile and read up on some reviews and try some things out in shops and see what you like... But I'd definitely go with a crybaby wah for starters because they are one of the most useful and awesome sounding pedals for anything, and depending on what you WOULD use (eg. flangers, phasers, chorus, etc) I'd say only get what you're gonna use... Delay pedals are also really nifty in solos...

One awesome pedal I got recently was a Line 6 MM4 Modulation Modeler... its basically a really expensive multi-effect pedal, but reeally good quality sounds and effects and incredibly convenient
Quote by loop-de-luke
With the Whammy pedal... I have one and it truly is one of the most awesome pedals...
I too have a Digitech multi-effects (Digitech RP50), and I used the wah and whammy on it with my PROEL volume/expression pedal hooked up and now that I've upgraded everything and gone on a pedal buying spree in the last year or so I've noticed that there is a tremendous difference in sound quality to the multi-effects...

HA! That is EXACTLY what I used to do!! Except my Proel kept breaking.

Also, a whammy pedal can only go one way, like the RP50.
If you want to go up and down, you're gonna have to use a proper Whammy bar.
Just so you know, you can't actually "overdrive" your amp - it's solid state and the distortion won't "stack" like it does on a tube amp. If you run one of those pedals into the overdrive channel it'll just sound like ass, loads of noise and uncotrollable feedback. You'd probably be better off buying a better amp instead of dropping the cash on pedals.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Either a better amp or a speaker upgrade (does wonders, especially for Peaveys) would do more for your sound than more pedals. I play a Peavey Backstage Plus, the old one from '84 (35 watts) and I had a good speaker so I used it and upgraded the amp 100%. Obviously I didn't have a lot of money tied up in either. The problem with new speakers is that the price of two good replacements may equal or exceed the price of a used tube combo.
Quote by steven seagull
Just so you know, you can't actually "overdrive" your amp - it's solid state and the distortion won't "stack" like it does on a tube amp. If you run one of those pedals into the overdrive channel it'll just sound like ass, loads of noise and uncotrollable feedback. You'd probably be better off buying a better amp instead of dropping the cash on pedals.

really? I run the distortion on my multieffects pedal through the lead channel and it sounds fine.
Distortion is different than overdrive, but it can be kind of confusing. An overdrive is made to send a stronger signal to tubes to cause the tubes in the amp to distort. A distortion pedal sends an already distorted signal to the amp, so the amp just ampifies the pedal signal. It doesn't cause the amp to distort much. You don't want it to. Overdriving a solid state chip causes clipping, a nasty sounding type of distortion. That's why turning a solid state amp too high sounds bad.
Quote by uldhppi
Distortion is different than overdrive, but it can be kind of confusing. An overdrive is made to send a stronger signal to tubes to cause the tubes in the amp to distort. A distortion pedal sends an already distorted signal to the amp, so the amp just ampifies the pedal signal. It doesn't cause the amp to distort much. You don't want it to. Overdriving a solid state chip causes clipping, a nasty sounding type of distortion. That's why turning a solid state amp too high sounds bad.

So if i want to get a pedal for a SS amp, I should get distortion, not overdrive?
Yeah my PROEL pedal is starting to break up a bit... one of the outputs crackles all the time so I've had to use the second output...

Overall I'd say buy a decent distortion (Boss DS-1 are money-friendly and sound awesome for heaps of styles), a decent wah (can't go wrong with Crybabys), and some kind of other effect of your choice (choruses are useful in many styles, I love my chorus... Delay pedals are great for many things, especially big solos... phasers are also nifty)

It's kind of up to you depending on your style of playing and what you like to use