Recently, i bought the Jackson DKMG, an alder body guitar with active EMG pickups. At first, i didn't like the lower-end sound at all, but then i realized the bridge was messing up my normal hand position, and so i wasn't getting any kind of palm mute even though i thought i was. But even after that..the tone of the guitar is pretty thin on the lower strings. I've narrowed it down to three things i can do to make it chunkier and beefier sounding for my down-tuned metal playing.

New strings: bought some d'addario XL '11-49's, they're "jazz rock" strings so they wont make it darker sounding, but it should give it a slightly thicker sound. I also bought Zakk wylde '10-60's but i'd have to get my guitar fully setup by a guitar tech for that, and it would probably sound like a bass guitar lol.

Switch pickups: The emg 81 on the bridge is known to be better for lead, i play rhythm and i've heard the emg 85 in the bridge makes it sound beefier, going to my local guitar tech today to see how much that would cost to switch. My dad wont let me take apart my guitar anymore since jackson messed up the wiring and the guitar was barely working and somehow when i switched the pickups it totally killed it. So a guitar repair guy fixed it up with some quick soldering in about 20 mins for 20 bucks.

overdrive pedal for my amp:
tube amps are known to sound crunchier and stuff with overdrive pushing the gain in the tubes, i might try some of those out tonight and see what sounds good.

not sure which to do first..probably will either do strings first or switch the pickups(if they have to take the strings off i don't want to buy new ones..so they might as well do that first lol)
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
did you mess around with your amp settings?
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
Quote by JOEYPWNSU
did you mess around with your amp settings?

yeah, right now i've got it at:
gain: around 7 or 8, sometimes it gets a bit muddy if i go all of the way
mids: pretty low, around 3 or 4
treble: about 6 or 7
and 'contour' is at like 5 since i didn't really know what it did.
low res is at about 5 as well.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Quote by Colgate Total
Use the neck pick-up, turn down the mids, bass, and the gain up just a notch.

ermm..i play metal..
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Quote by Colgate Total
Use the neck pick-up, turn down the mids, bass, and the gain up just a notch.

I don't think turning down the mid and low ranges will make your guitar sound beefy. Strait treble is usually the tinniest sound ever, coupled with an alder body and active EMGs, I think this guys got enough treble as it is.

On the contrary, I'd say turn up the mids and maybe roll off the treble a bit, see if it works.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
crank your bass, lower mids a little, and maybe have mids at lke 3/4
Quote by tarheelfan2

Quote by funkbass369

Quote by funkyfigure8
Quote by JOEYPWNSU
crank your bass, lower mids a little, and maybe have mids at lke 3/4

yeah that's what i've got it on. oh i forgot to say bass, i've also got bass really high..like all the way i think.

Anyways, i don't really think it's my amp's eq because i've messed with it allot.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
maybe an overdrive pedal?
Quote by tarheelfan2

Quote by funkbass369

Quote by funkyfigure8
so should i do all 3 things? i've already got the strings. so i'm thinking i'll talk to a guitar tech guy, and if he can do it in under 30 mins it'll only cost me about 20 bucks to switch pickup positions, then after that i'll upgrade my strings, then i'll check how beefy of a sound i've got with the new pickup position+strings, and if it still doesn't sound quite good enough i'll get an overdrive pedal.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
thats actually the pickups lacking the low end beefy sound...its one of the drawbacks to the emg's....quickest fix?.....change out the emg's for seymour duncan blackouts...they are actually a direct exhange...shouldn't have to solder anything....as they are active....and have the same plugins as the emg's....i played a guitar with emg's....same as you and it didnt have enough low end bass sound...that dark metal sound....so i figured id give the blackouts a try since they boast being better than emg's....huge huge difference....lots and lots of bottom end bass sound...and im using a jackson as well...they are killer...and u can sell those emg's easily as not many ppl know of these blackouts yet...they were just released this year....also try tuning to c....that give a very beefy sound....and im going to change my strings from 9's to 11's ...just like slash for a deep down sound...should be awesome but i hope u have a spare guitar to get normal tuning...hope this helps....here a pick of those pickups
Quote by twinturboaudi
hows that b-52?

it's pretty good, it gets really hot but it hasn't cut out on me yet, you can actually smell the heat, it's weird. As for the tone it has been awesome.

As for switching to seymor duncans..it sounds like a good idea, but it would be a pain to have to ebay my pickups or something, plus the duncan set costs about 170 us dollars. If i keep the EMG's and just get an overdrive pedal for like 100 dollars or under, plus switch the 85 to the bridge, it'll still be less money.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Quote by electricsnake
it's pretty good, it gets really hot but it hasn't cut out on me yet, you can actually smell the heat, it's weird. As for the tone it has been awesome.

As for switching to seymor duncans..it sounds like a good idea, but it would be a pain to have to ebay my pickups or something, plus the duncan set costs about 170 us dollars. If i keep the EMG's and just get an overdrive pedal for like 100 dollars or under, plus switch the 85 to the bridge, it'll still be less money.

yea switch the pups n get an overdrive, thats what id do
Quote by tarheelfan2

Quote by funkbass369

Quote by funkyfigure8
oh also nice advertisement for your guitar :/ but no thanks
and i do have a seperate guitar for standard tuning, but it's a crappy squire strat, but it works for me.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Still having problems with your tone? you can try using the neck pickup, I use it sometimes for metal it still sounds clear with just more low end, but then again I have a mahogany bodied guitar.
You can get a great beefy sound with EMGs, I don't think going through all the steps to obtaining the Blackouts is necessary.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

i wasnt advertising...ive actually decided to keep the jackson because it sounds so awesome...and swithing those pickups would be a huge hassle...unless u had money to spare...i was just posting another option for you...im sure theres other ways around it...****...guys have been using those emg's since the 70's....but most guys do drop tune a bit, like metallica and children of bodom
Last edited by twinturboaudi at Sep 22, 2007,
Quote by twinturboaudi
i wasnt advertising...ive actually decided to keep the jackson because it sounds so awesome...and swithing those pickups would be a huge hassle...unless u had money to spare...i was just posting another option for you...im sure theres other ways around it...****...guys have been using those emg's since the 70's....but most guys do drop tune a bit, like metallica and children of bodom

oh sorry i just looked at your previous posts and assumed you were trying to get me to buy it from you or something, thanks for the suggestion.

I do drop tune to C(i'm a huge children of bodom fan as well), i might still eventually try out those blackouts sometime if i find a guitar with them sometime at guitar center or something, but i'll probably just try to switch the emg's i have so i can get the emg 85 on the bridge for a better rhythm sound.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
When you get a better amp, you'll get a better tone.

In standard tuning (EADGBE), I get an almost exact clone of the Master of Puppets tone. In Standard D tuning, I get MY tone with what I'm looking for. Since you're drop tuning more than mine, I'm surprised you're not getting beef. I went to Drop C for a bit to play some Zakk Wylde and I was getting beef with barbecue sauce smeared all over.

You should look into the new Vox XL line, someone in GG&A just posted clips:

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/valvetronixxl/ad30vt-xl.asp#

Under Audio downloads.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
well i just spent about 750 usd on this amp about a month ago so..i don't see myself getting a new one soon.
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
that amp should have plenty of balls and beef....its one of the few amps i actually like..well the head anyway...not so sure that switching pickup placement will do much...but ive never done it...and it shouldnt be too hard...plug and play...what gauge strings are u using?
Quote by twinturboaudi
that amp should have plenty of balls and beef....its one of the few amps i actually like..well the head anyway...not so sure that switching pickup placement will do much...but ive never done it...and it shouldnt be too hard...plug and play...what gauge strings are u using?

i've just got .9-42's right now, they came with the guitar. Should i put new strings on before i decide whether or not to switch pickups?
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Stick a Dimarzio Breed in the bridge - enhanced lower midrange response to really thicken up the tone of an alder guitar. Won't turn it into a Les Paul, but it'll get it a damnsight closer.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by electricsnake
i've just got .9-42's right now, they came with the guitar. Should i put new strings on before i decide whether or not to switch pickups?

well i just switched out to 11-49's....which are thick as hell..so once i play it tonight ill let u know...just gotta tune it up...
Quote by twinturboaudi
well i just switched out to 11-49's....which are thick as hell..so once i play it tonight ill let u know...just gotta tune it up...

i've got some 11-49 d'addario's to eventually put on i think, the XL blues/jazz strings, so tell me how yours sound. i tune to drop c by the way
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Quote by electricsnake
i've got some 11-49 d'addario's to eventually put on i think, the XL blues/jazz strings, so tell me how yours sound. i tune to drop c by the way

i tune to that also.....i use elixirs on all my guitars...just personal preference...
ok....i tuned to c and it didnt sound so good....too low....so brought it up to d and its perfect
that's good, do thicker strings have more tension? my thick E seems really loose in C
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
mine seemed alright...but not sure if im diggin the xtra thick strings....i might change them back down to 10's
do they sound too bassy or what?if it just sounds to deep that's kinda what i like. my lower end sounds really thin
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
na...its sounds great...just a little thicker than im used to but i think i like them now....have u played around with ur amp settings?.....turn the bass up and the mids down a bit...almost all the way...see how that sounds...but turn up the treble also
yeah that's basically how i have it, mids are at like 2 or 3, rest is in the 8's
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
i really dont understand why ur not getting any bass....u will get less bass in the bridge than in the neck....thats just do to physical location of pickups...but with my blackouts....i get plenty of bass in the bridge location....u should have enough out of those emg's....