On Give it Away by the Chili Peppers, Frusciante's got a really crisp and metallic tone (in a good way). I was wondering how he did that, I'm thinking either treble booster or Electric Mistress set on filter matrix. Does anyone know?
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
it's an electro-harmonix flanger. The filter matrix on it manually sets the position of the flange and freezes it in place to make some wild sounds
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
use the 2 or 4 positions of your strat. It's the funk sound frusciante is emulating
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
i know how to get close to his normal tone, but this is like an unreal crispy tone
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Brighten up your amp. He uses 2 VERY bright amps. A Fender Bassman and Twin Reverb for clean tones.

I think the marshalls are only for dirt.

And it's in the hands mostly, you can't get to like 90% close. But try brightening the amp
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
i know i can't nail his tone. About 50 percent of ones tone is in the fingers.

I might try cranking the treble, but his tone isn't necessarily harsh
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by Kunundrum
Brighten up your amp. He uses 2 VERY bright amps. A Fender Bassman and Twin Reverb for clean tones.

And it's in the hands mostly, you can't get to like 90% close. But try brightening the amp

Bass man is not a very bright amp what so ever. Its quite warm compared to other fender amps.
Compressor with the tone control up, 2nd pickup position on a strat with a RWRP middle pickup. Sounds like a Marshall to me as well. The compressor seems to be what does it, since it allows you to get all that treble he's got going on without any harshness.

Edit: The fuzzy part at the end sounds like a maestro or early tonebender fuzz through a Silver Jubilee.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Sep 24, 2007,
Quote by Kunundrum

He doesn't use his Bassman since 2001 (end of Cali Tour). Now there are two Jubilees and one Major. I think in GIA John uses his Micro Amp to boost the clean channel to make it a little bit overdriven... in a few gigs He used chorus for the whole GIA... and about an amp... He uses very bassy settings in his amps... If You don't believe me, here's the link: http://ratsound.com/cblog/archives/2007/07/04.html
scroll down a little bit and You'll see
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
^right you are!
and....its all in the fingers man, first get the fingering and the way he does it, and it will sound a hell of alot better than if you nail hes "tone"....i get it really good out of my ibanez amp, and my setting are low treble...just play around until you get a sound YOU like.you dont have to copy everything the man does.just be on the right track-High bass, treble pickup on a strat, crancked tube amp, and some good ol' finger feel
Listens to Jazz

Quote by Local666Union
each time I piss in the dark I'm afraid that some wierd plant is going to eat my dick

word, thanks guys
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild