i didnt know where to post this but since the pit is a meeting point between all musicians of UG, i need both sides opinion on guitar and bass

heres the situation, ive been playing guitar for about a year and bass for almost a month and like playing bass way more, but i suck at it, but at guitar, i think im doing pretty well. for guitar, i think the fire inside for me to play has died, but then again it happened once before but i got it back, but this time its taking longer to re-ignite.

today i was supposed to get a new guitar but my friend offered me a bass for 80$ since i was borrowing my other friends. its and epi SG bass, one peg is broken off and the tone knob is well, not there anymore. the guitar i was gona get today was a peavey vortex ex but i hesitated and thought of the bass. i play bass in the school band and play guitar almost everywhere else. so my question is, should i pursue bass or just leave it for school and keep working at guitar?

PS. i dont want people going all " DOOD, PLAY BASS/GUITAR CUZ IT MAKES YOU LOOK COOLER!!!!11" im being serious because im seriously confused. the style of music i play is basically almost everything but mainly classic rock, modern rock and some metal.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Last edited by Phillitalian at Sep 22, 2007,
Quote by piratemetalhead
mmhmm. There WAS a guitar vs bass thread created about 5 minutes ago.

this isnt a guitar vs bass thread, this is a "i-need-help-from-the-pit-even-though-im-not-gona-get-much-help" thread
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
well if you truly like bass play bass. I'm sure you sucked at guitar when you first played it.. so just keep practicing your bass

an expert in anything was once a beginner
thrash till death
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. sig this if you like bagels.
Why not keep playing both. If your love for guitar has died out maybe your love for bass will to! just keep all your options open at the moment if i was you.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Try playing bass for about a year aswell, then see how you feel at the end. That will reveal your true path grasshopper.
Can't you still do both
The Bass IS awesome(i'm a guitar man) but you gotta keep practicing
the guitar is cool cuz it is better for playing leads

so just try playing both
it can't be that hard
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

LETS HEADBANG TO METAL!

If you give a mouse a cookie,satan will get angry
Just play both, being able to do so will give you a better understanding on how to acompany each part.
Quote by UGROQFAN
Can't you still do both
The Bass IS awesome(i'm a guitar man) but you gotta keep practicing
the guitar is cool cuz it is better for playing leads

so just try playing both
it can't be that hard

tis what im trying to do but switching back and forth is a nuisance going back and forth between neck sizes. also, whats some thing i can do to help me at guitar right now

EDIT: im not saying neck size is the only issue, its also a matter of whether or not i think i can do well on either. i dont really know how to put what im thinking into words. i feel like a retard
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
No one on the internet can tell you the right choice for you. It just depends which you like more. If you like bass more, go with bass. Why would you play guitar if you don't enjoy it?
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Quote by mercedesisbenz
No one on the internet can tell you the right choice for you. It just depends which you like more. If you like bass more, go with bass. Why would you play guitar if you don't enjoy it?

He's right you know
(\__/)

LETS HEADBANG TO METAL!

Quote by mercedesisbenz

i know that but theres one problem, i dont own a bass....

EDIT: and i didnt say i didnt enjoy playing guitar, i said the motivation has died. i still like playing simple crap like smells like teen spirit, cuz it was the first song i learned, to some harder stuff like ghost of perdition by opeth.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
id play both, when youre in a bass mood, play bass, when youre in a guitar mood, play guitar

even if youre in one mood more than another, dont give up either of those instruments
Quote by Phillitalian

then buy one off ebay
(\__/)

LETS HEADBANG TO METAL!

play both
but if you want one
then
if you like more funky stuff
then play bass
(popping and slaping)
but guitars last 4 strings
are the same tuning as
the bass
+2 more strings
so guitar can do more stuff
Quote by taz12345
play both
but if you want one
then
if you like more funky stuff
then play bass
(popping and slaping)
but guitars last 4 strings
are the same tuning as
the bass
+2 more strings
so guitar can do more stuff

not helping....

Quote by UGROQFAN
then buy one off ebay

i would but ive been saving for a new guitar eversince i started playing
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
Play both man. Music is a lot more rewarding when you can play more than one instrument. It makes it more fun and you more versitile
I often hear people complaining about whether they should pursue bass or guitar. Its ridiculous. If you only have an hour to practice every day, practice half and half. If you really want to pursue just one, just pick the one you like more. To be honest i went through the same as you. I had been playing guitar for nearly a year when i got a bass. I loved it at first, then the novelty dropped away and i like both guitar and bass the same. If i were you just keep doing what your doing for a while longer till you can play bass really when, then decide. (btw. bassists ALMOST never get as much fame as guitarists, so thats something to think about)
Quote by aradine
i wish i got disowned by my grandparents so i could stay home tommorow and fap.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30
i never understood how you could play guitar & not be able to play bass.

i learnt with a teacher for 4 months, and as soon as i had all the frets worked out i could pick up a bass and play pretty well....

don't they basically go hand in hand?
Quote by Lord_Of_Dance.

I never understood why a girl would take a boner as a bad thing "Oh no, your attracted to me, you sick wanker." :\ x

Quote by Nelsean
Im saying this the straightest way possible, but...

I'd have sexual intercourse with your anus.
Quote by Nickelbitch

i learnt with a teacher for 4 months, and as soon as i had all the frets worked out i could pick up a bass and play pretty well....

Yep pretty much....

Bass is just simplified guitar (no offence bassists)
but bass is still awesome though guitar is more fun depending if you like rhytem of soloing

-Drac
Quote by neopowell
Killing yourself seems like the only simple solution.
Quote by ProjectDark
Just play both, being able to do so will give you a better understanding on how to acompany each part.

While you're at it, pick up a couple extra instruments.
Your horizons can never be too broad.
Spiral Out
Quote by Nickelbitch

technically yes. i can play a bass with a pick but when i do, i feel like im not doing it properly.its using 3 fingers and being able to alternate tham. i know i should start with 2, which i did, but i play too slow with 2

Quote by t3h guitar n00b
I often hear people complaining about whether they should pursue bass or guitar. Its ridiculous. If you only have an hour to practice every day, practice half and half. If you really want to pursue just one, just pick the one you like more. To be honest i went through the same as you. I had been playing guitar for nearly a year when i got a bass. I loved it at first, then the novelty dropped away and i like both guitar and bass the same. If i were you just keep doing what your doing for a while longer till you can play bass really when, then decide. (btw. bassists ALMOST never get as much fame as guitarists, so thats something to think about)

O rly? btw, i dont care about fame, guitar is a hobby to me, one that i hold close.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by Phillitalian

EDIT: and i didnt say i didnt enjoy playing guitar, i said the motivation has died. i still like playing simple crap like smells like teen spirit, cuz it was the first song i learned, to some harder stuff like ghost of perdition by opeth.

Then buy the bass so you own a bass. Problem solved. Why would you put money into an instrument you dont have a desire to andvance in?
Follow me on instagram @createdaily