I've heard horror stories of basses threw guitar heads. But what about guitars threw bass heads? i got a really old tube ampeg v4 and it sounds sick for doom/stoner rock. We're playing an SG in drop B/Aish, Muffed to all hell and very loud. Should i stop doing this? I was hoping it might be low enough to not damage, i really don't want to blow this head.
yeah it will definitely work, maybe even sound better than a guitar amp.. try it out
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
Queens of the Stone Age probably did something like this at one point, so it should be fine.
Yeah i figured it would, just wasn't 100% sure and really really need this head...my main band's starting to become more and more serious and its the only bass head i own that i havn't blown.
speaking I've been using a bass amp for guitar cleans for about two years now I highly doubt it will hurt it.
It'll be fine. In fact, it's not so much the head you would need to worry about as the cabinet. Many professional basists use guitar heads and occasionally, at lower volumes, guitar cabinets, to achieve a dirty/distorted, punchy sound then use a bass amp for the bottom end. I know for a fact Duff from VR used a Marshall head and possibly cabinet on one the VR albums and Jason Newstead used guitar heads and cabinets in the studio and live.

Phew, anyway, you'll be fine, I would recommend using a guitar cabinet still since you have the regular guitar frequencies being amplified. I played a friends semi-hollow Ibanez through my GK Backline 115 combo and the top 3 strings were so high they made the speaker make an awful, awful sound.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
It's totally fine to use a guitar through a bass amp.

However, you can't use a bass through a guitar amp. It's not designed to handle those frequencies.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Ibanez20th
^half right.

You can use a bass thru a guitar head you cannot use a bass thru a guitar cab.

^half right.

You shouldnt use a bass through a guitar amp or a bass through a guitar cabinet.

unless at pretty low volumes or your rich
Quote by Ibanez20th
Bassman was a hoax. It's not good for bass what so ever.

The original bassman amps were meant for bass, but was actually a better guitar amp than most out there, so people ended up using it for guitar. Because of that, the Re-issues are designed for guitarists...
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by .smudged.
The Bassman is a guitar/bass amp.

The Fender Bassman was originally designed in the 50's when the P-bass first came out. Leo Fender designed it so his new electric "Precision" bass would have an amplifier.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by chea_man
^half right.

You shouldnt use a bass through a guitar amp or a bass through a guitar cabinet.

unless at pretty low volumes or your rich

You can use a bass thru a guitar head. I've done it many a times. You cannot use it thru guitar speakers.

The open back design for the original bassmans fully tell it wasn't good for bass.