Yeah, i've heard some people criticize bass players who use picks as being "wussies" or whatever, the bass player in my band doesn't use one, but is thinking about using them.
what are the advantages/disadvantages to bass players who use or don't use picks?
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
picks are for metal and hardcore
fingers are cool cuz you could play faster with them
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

LETS HEADBANG TO METAL!

If you give a mouse a cookie,satan will get angry
It depends on what you want the bass' tone to be. With fingers, it is more mellow sounding most of the time. With a pick it has a little edge. Just play a song with him using fingers and then the same song with a pick. Whichever one sounds better and/or is more comfortable with him, do it.
You really need to search bar this. I'm pretty sure I saw another near-identical thread like this on this board today. These threads nary end well.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
when i play punk music i use a pick because i like the tone and playablity of it. when i play funk or something i use fingers and most certianly dont use a pick when i slap and pop. but its all the sound your after
I play bass!
i odnt use a pick and play metal, so it isnt like using one is ever equired
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Bassists should use whatever feels right, and never limit themselves to only using one style.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by UGROQFAN

fingers are cool cuz you could play faster with them

oh my god are you, no it can't be, ROB TRUJILLO!!!???

But seriously unless you ARE him, picks are way faster.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself

Not necessarily. I play faster and cleaner with my fingers. It depends on the person. Sure, I can tremelo pick with a plectrum, but it's not as clean as my finger approach.
Quote by eddiehimself

... Billy Sheehan? Vic Wooten? Steve Digiorgio?
They both have different tones so try both and see which works better. However I will say that it is possible to get close to pick tones with your fingers but it's impossible the other way around.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Not necessarily. I play faster and cleaner with my fingers. It depends on the person. Sure, I can tremelo pick with a plectrum, but it's not as clean as my finger approach.

I'm fast with both, and clean.. probably cos first song i learnt was run to the hills..

What was i going to say.. oh yeah, this bassist from this other band, stupid bitch, called me a crap bass player for playing with a pick.. So next gig, she's there, I say 'Who wants to hear a bass soloooooooo?!' of course, they are like 'Rich solo yay'

So I start with a pick, then I say into the mic "oh uh, apparently picks are last year according to Lana' then threw my pick at the crowd and went nuts on a scale then improved a little Pulling Teeth.. then some 4 finger chugging.... right down to the 24th fret G..

ggnoobnore.
Quote by hightension01

Tell her
"I could be playing this *inserts Job For a Cowboys Doom Cd*
but i'd rather play this *inserts *David Crowder followed by Brewster*"

haha yeah that should work

Quote by Aqua Dementia
richrawr FTW!
I suck a lot with a pick because I've played with my fingers for so long. Whatever your basist prefers, there's not a right or wrong way.

It's so hard not to lose my temper with the same fucking threads happening over and over again.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
What ever the tone you need is. You should be comfortable enough with both to be able to make basic lines and play through most songs.
i onlt lay with a pick to get a certain sound and feel. any other use it annoys me. fingers are faster comfortable and yuou dont have to remember anything!!
or slap bass.
Quote by eddiehimself

not true, i can play really fast, but if i use a pick i suck
^fine well it depends on the person really. I suck with my fingers. I can play strongly but not very fast at all.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself

lol

and into the issue, i have frets in home but i dont use them
my opinion is that with the fingers u can really feel the bass and what u playing, but a pick gives u speed if play metal u know (excpet for trujillo lol)
i use a pick sometimes, but if there isnt one in reach i use the back of my index finger nail
?!
I started out with a pick because i use an epi thunderbird bass, and the pick had the sound i needed, and i wasnt able to play hard enough comfertably with my fingers, but my bridge has since come loose before a gig last night so i borrowed another bands p bass, and it was kind of poppy, with pick so i switched to fingers, and today i got a jackson bass, it sounds amasing with fingers, better than the thunerbird with a pick, so i think im probably never going to use a pick again .
Swollen fingers of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join

--Gear--
AXE:Epiphone Thunderbird IV, Peavey Fury II, Jackson CB20
AMP:Peavey Pro 500
CAB:Ampeg BXT-410HL4
Well, he could do like Chimarias bassist. He used to (I dont know if he still does) switch in the middle of a song. Many times in some songs. I actually do that too, so I know it works fine.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
I just wanted to ask. Does this whole pick thing count only if you use an actual pick?

I use my fingers, but employ different techniques for pretty much every song I play. I sometimes switch technique mid-song, too. Is this a bad idea?
I can't use a pick at all. I miss strings and everything. Physically holding it kind of seems to put me off, I think.

I do however, put my thumb and index finger together so the nails create a sort of pick. It doesn't give such a sharp (wrong word?) sound as an actual [piece of plastic] pick, but it lets me play faster (though, mostly only on one or two strings next to each other). Would this count as pick or fingers?
Also, I sort of scrape the strings with just my thumb nail sometimes (Song contextual, as with most things I do/play).

Oh yeah, what I've found quite annoying is that this 'nail pick' thing doesn't work so well if you cut(/bite) your nails too short, as I do on the odd occasion.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
^does it really matter? A technique that works is a technique that works and shouldn't be criticised.

I know that well. I was just curious about the pick category counting only picks (ie. not my nails).
...probably shouldn't have bothered adding all the random stuff after the initial comment. Oh well. I was bored, too late now
I hate how people bring up the whole speed issue with fingers... There are a number of highly skilled bassists that can play way faster than picked bassists. In the end if you were to actually work hard at mastering your speed with adding 3 fingers and in some cases even four fingers you will be putting the pick player to shame when it comes to speed.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Sum 1 Random kinda made a good point. What about using your fingers as if you were holding a pick? Technically, you're not using a pick. You're using fingers. Are you still a wussy? Hmm.... kinda debunks that theory and shows you how shallow the arguement is.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
/end thread, indeed

Argument has been done to death many many times and this was a bump of a old thread.

Dead and closed.