OK i am just getting a new guitar that has a good tremolo. which guitar should i get. I can save up money cause i have a les paul and i like playing that but i want a whammy bar. Should i just get a crap guitar replace the pickups, neck and get a floyd rose on it or wat. any suggestions are thanked
Deacon of the Church of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Member of Slashism, the worship of Saul Hudson himself, PM slash's_#1_fan to join

Member #34 of the John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub
PM IpodInaBottle to join
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
what amp? what style do you play? what price range?

+1
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
what amp? what style do you play? what price range?

I have a line 6 Spider III, play rock- whole genre, not too expensive. any brand so long as it wont break easily

Member of Slashism, the worship of Saul Hudson himself, PM slash's_#1_fan to join

PM IpodInaBottle to join
i asked my guitar teacher the same sort of question: should i change the neck, p/u, bridge etc or get a new gutiar? he said i should just get a new guitar 'cos changing all 3 (or 2) pickups can cost up $150-$200 each, and thats excluding installation, which can be another blow for your wallet. the same thing with getting a new bridge: i was thinkin' of buying a new bridge, but then i heard that not all of them fit in every guitar, each bridge is different, it'll cost lots, blah blah blah, and unless i can install it myself, it'd cost extra to install it....and what if something goes wrong...etc etc. so in my basic opinion, i'd just save up for a decent jackson or Ibanez. Ibanez have great smooth necks, and their floyd rose style tremolos are decent enuff. they have DiMarzio p/u's in them and dont cost as much as other brands.
Thank u paddy

PM IpodInaBottle to join
Now wat type of ibanez is best?

PM IpodInaBottle to join
sry for the triple post if it happens. I want one with an edge III tremolo. Which is best

PM IpodInaBottle to join
Go for Ibanez RG 370DX
Good guitar.
What the fuck is wrong with me?

OH YE, THE FLYING FUCKS BAND!
Quote by Slash's Snakpit
Go for Ibanez RG 370DX
Good guitar.

Where can you get it in a different color

PM IpodInaBottle to join
Quote by WishiwuzSlash
sry for the triple post if it happens. I want one with an edge III tremolo. Which is best

Eventhough the Edge III isn't as bad as some people make it out to be, it's still not a good trem. If you have your heart set on a trem, go for something with the ZR trem (as found on the Ibanez S-series) or the Edge Pro, which comes on all the Prestige RG's.

But, despite the fact that those are great trems, think about how badly you want a trem. Sure it can be fun to fool around with it every once in a while, but they can become a major pain in the ass (believe me, I have six guitars with a trem, 3 of which are Floyd Roses).
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Getta Floyd!

Schecter Damien FR, they rawk.
Quote by silentdob
*waits for the legion of Dimebag fans to beat me to death with bottles of Jack*
Quote by BlackBeautyBoy
Getta Floyd!

Schecter Damien FR, they rawk.

That's a licensed Floyd Rose, which could spell trouble plus the pickups are passive EMGsl. You'd be much better of with an Ibanez.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
But, despite the fact that those are great trems, think about how badly you want a trem. Sure it can be fun to fool around with it every once in a while, but they can become a major pain in the ass (believe me, I have six guitars with a trem, 3 of which are Floyd Roses).

How can they be a pain in the butt

PM IpodInaBottle to join
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GRG170DX-Electric-Guitar?sku=512496

How about this one. sorry if it doesnt come up as a hyperlink

PM IpodInaBottle to join
Quote by WishiwuzSlash
How can they be a pain in the butt

well, for one, changing tunings is about a 30 minute operation and re- stringing requires a degree in engineering.

seriously, though, ditch the spider. I know how tempting it is to get a guitar instead of an amp, I decided that my Roland Cube 15 would sound awesome with a Gibson SG. I was wrong.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
seriously, though, ditch the spider. I know how tempting it is to get a guitar instead of an amp, I decided that my Roland Cube 15 would sound awesome with a Gibson SG. I was wrong.

Im getting a Marshall MG100DFX half stack for christmas so im not really concerned with my amp right now

PM IpodInaBottle to join
Quote by WishiwuzSlash
Im getting a Marshall MG100DFX half stack for christmas so im not really concerned with my amp right now

are you sure that's what you want? I know the fact that it says "Marshall" on the front is a huge turn- on, but it's generally agreed upon in the guitar playing community that MG's are crap. check out a Vox Valvetronix, Orange Tiny Terror, maybe a Fender...
Quote by Ibanez20th
get a new amp first.

I don't care what you can do on your guitar. IF your tone is coming from a Spider III i'll probably walk away with a headache.

TBH the spider III isnt THAT bad
o rly

$200 starter kit guitar + awesome amp = awesome sound (just really annoying when you retune ever 5 minutes)
$6000 guitar + SS modeling amp = your amp kills your sound

just.. even get a cheap tube amp and you'll hear the difference. honestly.
i have a 'white guitar'
I don't really have a choice on the amp. Dont know why i just dont

PM IpodInaBottle to join
I might be able to get a Crate GT1200H/G412SL Half Stack

PM IpodInaBottle to join
Quote by WishiwuzSlash
I might be able to get a Crate GT1200H/G412SL Half Stack

That's just as bad.

Really, you don't need a half stack. For that amount of money you can get a tube combo which is a hell of a lot better than a SS half stack.

The problem with a solid state halfstack is that low end solid state amps can't handle high volume very well; the sound starts to break up quite quickly when turning the volume up.

Also, there's the quality issue; this is apparent in both the sound quality and the general build quality.
Eventhough there are high end solid state amps that sound quite good, neither the MG nor the Crate are even remotely regardable as high end.
Their sound leaves much to be desired and usually the digital effects are far from convincing on these digital moddeling amps.
On top of the sonic terror these amps unleash, there are numerous reports of them breaking even after a relatively short period of time. Keep in mind, these are produced in some far away factory by low paid workers and comprised of cheap parts (the Marshaal logo is probably the most expensive part on the MG).

Finally, why a half stack? A smaller tube combo has more volume than you'll ever need and it's still semi-portable. A good amp should be loud enough to be heard over the drums during a practice session or a small gig and a tube combo will be able to do that. As soon as you're going to be playing bigger gigs, you'll probably be playing in a venue with a PA, rendering a large amp useless.

To the guy suggesting the GRG170DX:

I have one and it's nice, but it's not nearly as good as a standard Ibanez. If you have the money to buy a regular RG, why go for their beginner/budget model?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-JS30-Electric-Guitar?sku=511636

Ive read some similar posts and was wondering if this guitar should be in the running. It has a good tremolo, or so ive heard. And when would be the best time to buy a new guitar

PM IpodInaBottle to join
I love how people make such a big deal over Spiders and MGs,sure they may not be the greatest,but some people arent Tone Snobs,some people just play for the joy of playing an instrument.
/rant

If I were you I would check ou the Ibanez S320,Good woods,trem,decent pickups,and nice neck.All for $499 USD.
Quote by Slash's Snakpit
Go for Ibanez RG 370DX
Good guitar.

it is, very moddable too (check my sig link)
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX