I am a guitarist that has played for 13 years. I have practiced around 3-4 hours a day since I was 14, and I am 20 now. I have, in the past year, grown addicted to heavy metal because it involves nearly every technique and scale from blue, to classical.

Now comes my problem. Speed picking. I have worked and worked, but I really need some help. How do I hold the pick? Because I believe the way I am now is actually inhibiting my speed growth. Also, are there any good tabs, or songs, or workouts that can improve speed fairly quickly (I have been working at it for about a year and a half, so I am ready to start getting faster).

Another thing I am having trouble with is sweep arpeggios. I have the basics down, but I don't know how to get faster. I also have trouble with a lot of string noise and buzzing from them, i.e. they dont sound clear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
hold the pick at an angle
and the sweeping arpeggios, just practice with a metronome.
i mean LOTS of practice!

hope it works!
Last edited by cerealkiller665 at Sep 23, 2007,
yeah, ive seen many vids by michael angelo batio and hes always exclaiming about how it doesnt matter how you hold the pic, find whats comfortable then just practice with a metronome, it takes time and lots of practice
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
20-13=14??
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Definitely a metronome... Start out real slow till it kinda gets programmmed to your brain and fingers then bring up the tempo...
And with speedpicking, one of the most important things is accuracy. Start slow with a metronome and focus on making sure that your left and right hands are in sync with each other. Just like in baseball for a faster pitcher, choke up on the pick, the pick will have less room to bend and will give you more control over it. Consider a heavier pick if you don't already use one. Practice slow until you gain the muscle memory and then start bringing it up to speed. It takes weeks and weeks of practice to develop clean runs. Also, don't practice with distortion. While you're hammering out the basics, keep it on clean so that you can hear where you're missing notes or are out of sync. If you can't make it sound good clean, you're probably not gonna sound good distorted. The same principles apply for sweep picking as well.