Hey guys. Not now, but when I get the money for it I'm going to buy the Vox Custom Classic 2 x 12. When I went to Sam Ash to try it out, it was obvious it was the best amp for me, except it needed distortion and overdrive. Can anyone recommend a pedal with both Over and Distortion or one of each for preferably $100 or less, but a little over would be fine. My guitar is in my sig.
My Setup
Fender Stratocaster Highway One HSS
Marshall Lead 12 Combo 5005
All kinds of rock. Stuff along the lines of Chili Peppers and GNR, so mainly alternative and hard rock.
My Setup
Check out the Jekyll & Hyde pedal from Visual Sound. It's a pretty renowned OD/Distortion pedal. It's great for blues all the way to heavy rock. If you want balls to the wall metal it's probably not for you, though. It has two channels on it: one is the OD and the other is the distortion. You can have them both on together to get a sort of third channel that's pretty crazy. The OD channel is an exact replica of a TS-808 OD that everyone blows their loads about, and the distortion channel is a customizable distortion with scoop and what-not. I have one and I can tell you it friggin rocks and I think would do well with that particular amp. You should also be able to find it on eBay for a decent price, especially if you get one used (there is a new model of it coming out later this month with a couple sweet features so you may want to hold out 'till then - though it's not as classy looking. Go to Visual Sound's MySpace page to see the pics of the new module and compare it to the model currently out).

If, on the other hand, you DID want balls out metal look into a Damage Control 'Solid Metal'. It's expensive as all hell but it's all tube metal distortion, which you can't go wrong with. If you want something simple and cheap to do the same thing (obviously not with the same quality, though) try out the Line 6 Uber Metal pedal. Lots of cheap-o metal players seem to love that one.

Other than that just look into the tried and true EH Metal Muff (the normal one not the "Big Muff" or "Pocket Metal Muff").
Last edited by Johnny Two Tone at Sep 23, 2007,
Thanks Johnny, that pedal is sweet I think I going to go for that because it's all in one, and looks very versatile. The only reason I don't want to OS-2 is because its not versatile, it's basically one sound for distortion and one for overdrive. And I don't like the distortion or overdrive on it. (I can't remember which one, but I've played it before)
My Setup
I'd check out a Tube Screamer type pedal. They're a good all-purpose type of OD. They're used all across the board, for rock.

Check out BBE's line of pedals, particularly the Free Fuzz, the Freq Boost and the Boosta Grande. The Last two are boost pedals, but they can push your amp into power tube distortion, if you have it cranked loud enough.

There's also the Big Muff Pi, a popular distortion pedal.
The EHX LPB should be able to push your amp into power tube distortion as well, and it's cheap!
The ProCo Rat is some nasty distortion.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'd check out a Tube Screamer type pedal. They're a good all-purpose type of OD. They're used all across the board, for rock.

Check out BBE's line of pedals, particularly the Free Fuzz, the Freq Boost and the Boosta Grande. The Last two are boost pedals, but they can push your amp into power tube distortion, if you have it cranked loud enough.

That Jekyll & Hyde pedal is a Tube Screamer in the OD side (with even more options) so if someone was going to get a TS-808 just get the all round best Jekyll & Hyde.

The BBE Boosta Grande is sweet if you want to add a clean boost for any situation... even adding to a distorted channel - good for kicking in lead tones.

Speaking of BBE anyone, anyone at all, with an effects loop on their amp NEEDS to get a Sonic Maximizer (or Sonic Stomp for the pedal version). At first you'll probably not even get what it's doing but if you turn it off you'll wonder how you ever played without it.
Quote by ChiliPepper093
Thanks Johnny, that pedal is sweet I think I going to go for that because it's all in one, and looks very versatile. The only reason I don't want to OS-2 is because its not versatile, it's basically one sound for distortion and one for overdrive. And I don't like the distortion or overdrive on it. (I can't remember which one, but I've played it before)

Another sweet thing about Visual Sound pedals is that not only do they come with AC-adapters but Visual Sound is known for it's absolute top notch customer service. I read a thread in another forum where I guy said his first edition Jekyll & Hyde pedal died after 7 years and he e-mailed Visual Sound and they had him send it to them and they fixed it for free and sent it back to him. Pretty sweet. I just bought one of their new amps and it's so sweet.
Instead of an Overdrive, have you looked into treble boosts with the AC30?
Otherwise, a tubescreamer type pedal would do fine!
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr