hello
i have obtained a 1970s MIM reissue Fender Stratocaster from a local buy and sell music shop. i really like it for my first used guitar, but the last owner tried some diy sodering and it has some crazy shorts while playing it (trust me, it is not the cable). I thought about just getting the ruined parts repaired, but then i thought about rewiring the entire guitar and put in some new pickups. I figure seeing the last owner got the frets redressed and the guitar was rewired it would become a practically new guitar for me. Fender Noiseless Pickups really caught my eye, but then i thought about the price of rewiring the guitar itself? Has anyone had this done before, and if so, how much does it cost?
Wire is pretty cheap, you can get rolls of it in different colors at radio shack. The pots are about 5 bucks apiece, unless you want the ones with switches built into them. Caps are 50 cents each. The only real expense is the new pickups. And of course solder and iron to do it with. Its not that conplicated just figure out how you want it to work, find some diagrams. A strat is pretty straight forward. Just make sure you got it wired the way you want before soldering anything. Its also a good time to put some shielding in the cavity, will add a couple of bucks to the job.