Ive got like around 5 bills tops to spend.
My first stack or half so im probably gonna go with a Crate head. Since it isnt too expensive and has decent distortion. Now the Cabinet is what i have trouble with. What is "ohms"? Is the Higher the ohms the worse? I play Metal/Metalcore. Children of bodom, Necrophagist, Killswitch Engage, All That Remains
Quote by Ex'sAndOh's
I peed while riding down a little slope in a trolley.

Because I'm so hardcore.

Quote by J Lock
No.
Wrong.
Yes, your opinion is wrong.

J Lock Likes The C***
the number of ohms on the head should match the number of ohms on the cabinet for example if you got a cabinet that operates at 8 ohms buy a head that works at 8 ohms. And no more ohms arent worse just match the amount of ohms on both the head and cabinet and you should be good
i think as long as you have the same ohms as the head you'll get the amount of power for your speakers that you want.
if your head has an output of 6 ohms, and your cab can take up to 16, you wont get as much bang for your buck.
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
Quote by LakeboDom
Ive got like around 5 bills tops to spend.
My first stack or half so im probably gonna go with a Crate head. Since it isnt too expensive and has decent distortion. Now the Cabinet is what i have trouble with. What is "ohms"? Is the Higher the ohms the worse? I play Metal/Metalcore. Children of bodom, Necrophagist, Killswitch Engage, All That Remains

You could get a nice used Peavey 5150 combo for that amount, that'll sound better than any Crate halfstack at that same price point, for your musical tastes..
your B-52 is much better than a crate, y do u need 1??

What Goes Up

Must Come Down
get a crate flexwave head and a cabinet that operates at the same amount of ohms. I really like it.
awesome thanks helps alot. However the amp head im buying only says that its 120 Watts RMS....so what kinda cabinet should i buy in order to match it?
Quote by Ex'sAndOh's

Because I'm so hardcore.

Quote by J Lock
No.
Wrong.

J Lock Likes The C***
Peavey 5150 > the Crate you're looking at.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
Peavey 5150 > the Crate you're looking at.

Thanks.could you give me a link to a site the sells it? ive checked a few and they dont carry it...?
Quote by Ex'sAndOh's

Because I'm so hardcore.

Quote by J Lock
No.
Wrong.

J Lock Likes The C***
It's now called 6505.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Windsor > Crate also.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Did i mention I need a loud amp to play gigs. I checked the 6505, im sure its a great amp just out of my price range unfortunately...but thanks for the tip anyways.
Quote by Ex'sAndOh's

Because I'm so hardcore.

Quote by J Lock
No.
Wrong.

J Lock Likes The C***
Go used, or get a Peavey Windsor like Cort said.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yup - the Crate is terrible, and contrary to what you may have been led to believe you don't need either of the following to play gigs.

1 - 100 watts
2 - a half-stack
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
a 30 watt valve would do u fine tbh like a laney LC30 (i think thts the model)

What Goes Up

Must Come Down
Find one used on craigslist, you are going to HATE the crate you are looking at. Ya it is a half stack, you think you will look cool, but trust me when I say it will sound like ****.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You could get a nice used Peavey 5150 combo for that amount, that'll sound better than any Crate halfstack at that same price point, for your musical tastes..

agreed. a xxx combo would be worth a look too, as some of that metalcore needs some quite nice cleans. b52 is probably worth a look too, though i haven't tried them.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah man, take our advice and don't go for some Crate 120 watt solid state stack. Take your time and look around, you can find a nice tube combo that will atleast give a basis for better tone, and you don't have to worry about busting around a freaking halfstacks (those cheapy solid state halfstacks are ALL a joke). You can find a used 5150 2x12 on ebay or craigslist for around 500 nowadays, like said earlier!
A 120 watt crate SS amp is going to sound terrible. I would definitely go with the windsor. Or if you want an awesome amp, go used for a 5150.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
xxx, 5150, or 6505. any of those used should be in your price range, and are far and away better than the crate stacks. i'd go with the xxx personally, but try a new one of each (or at least the xxx and 6505) at a music store somewhere. you can consider the 6505 the same as the 5150 for all intents and purposes.