Whenever I set my amp's gain above 4 and play double stops/chords on more than one string above the tenth fret, I get this rather unpleasant noise. It's as if the frequencies are clashing with each other, somewhat like what occurs when tuning. It doesn't happen unplugged or with the gain down, so I have a feeling it's my stock Agile AL-2800 pickups. Would lowering them help with this at all? I'm saving up for a set of Bill Lawrence pickups and just want to know if there's anything I can do in the meantime. My amp's a crate palomino v16, if that helps.

Thanks a lot.
A wise man is not wise because of his wiseness, but because of his manness.

Quote by floppypick
Penis.. do digimon have them?
what do you mean you get unpleasant noise? do you mean distortion?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
no, not distortion. I knew that the description would come out as stupid. It's definitely not distortion. It's like.. I'll just post a clip on my profile...

Quote by floppypick
It sounds like you just need to intonate better. The annoying sound is probably just the notes being slightly out of tune with each other. I'm sure there are articles or threads on how to intonate somewhere on the site, so I won't explain it unless you need it.
Epiphone Riviera Jorma Kaukonen Deluxe
Orange Tiny Terror with a Mesa 2x12 Lone Star
Boss PH-3
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-20
Fender Deluxe Mexi-Jazz
It could be, I'll intonate again tomorrow. If it doesn't get any better, I'll post a short clip of some random chords. I can't hear the dissonance-like sound when I play clean or unplugged, so that's why I guessed it was the pickups. It just gets really bad when I turn the gain past four.

Quote by floppypick
All the overtones probably just come out more clearly with the gain above four so you can better hear the mismatched intonation, sounds like that for sure with the problem only becoming noticable past the tenth fret on any of the strings.
Alright, I think I broke a saddle whilst intonating. That sounds like something I would do. I'll start a new thread with pics about that.

Quote by floppypick
Having the pickups set too high can cause this sometimes as well.
Guitars, Cadillacs and HillBilly Music!