I need some help!

First of all, heres my PC Specs

1gb ram
AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+
Onboard sound
ABIT AN-M2 motherboard

I bought an MSI NX8600GT, which comes factory overclocked to 580/1600.

I bought it yesterday, it was fine for about an hour, and I was playing half-life 2 episode 1, and there were some pretty crazy artifacts.

You can see a blue line along the top, no gravity gun, there were yellow artifacts coming out of the invisible grav gun, alyx had blue eyes with spikes coming out of them, and there were LOTS of blue artifacts coming from top right corner.

I alt tabbed, and my computer was in 640x480, with 4 bit color, and I reset my computer. It was fine from then on, until a bit later, and there were also more artifacts coming out of a car, but they went away.

It was fine for a few hours, and i finished playing.. Later I started playing civilization 4, and low and behold, more artifacts.

Units were invisible, minimap disappeared, civ flag disappeared, crazy black artifacts.

I reset again, and the problem fixed itself. I woke up thismorning, decided to continue playing half life 2, and i played for about 20 minutes before i got more yellow artifacts off a combine soldier, and as i turned around to alyx, i crashed. Now any autosave i open comes up with either a "failed to lock vertex buffer CMeshDX8::LockVertexBuffer" error, or "Internal Driver Error in IDirect3dDevice9 ::Present()".

And Civilization 4 is fine up until i actually get into a game, in which it gives me a blue screen and crashes.

Its still happening, and I've reinstalled drivers with driver cleaner and everything, tried using different versions of drivers, i've tried underclocking, to no avail.

Its also happening in Far Cry, i got about 10 minutes of normal play out of it, and then I had crazy artifacts, and it froze when i went into the menu.

Does this mean that the card is stuffed and I should take it back? or is it something on my end?

Sorry for the wall of text by the way.

peace
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"
What the **** are lady lumps? What does she have, breast cancer?

Bacchus basses FTW!
www.japanvintageguitars.com
The graphics chip is overheating. Slap some decent fans on it and it might come right.
either overheating, or it might not be a directX 9 compatible card. might be the directX 9 thing based on half-life 2 telling you "Internal Driver Error in IDirect3dDevice9 ::Present()"
perhaps theres not enough circulation inside your pc so perhaps take the side panel of your PC. Your chip would most likely be overheating. if you have a smallish fan place it in front of the card but facing away from it. The idea is to move the heat away from the card faster.

8600 cards are directX9 compatible so it has to be its overheating. That or the cards faulty?
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by sobeisbull
either overheating, or it might not be a directX 9 compatible card. might be the directX 9 thing based on half-life 2 telling you "Internal Driver Error in IDirect3dDevice9 ::Present()"

+1
70's Japan Greco SuperPower
Amps: '65 TRRI - Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - Epiphone VJ Head (Modded) - 2x12 Celestion Greenback Cab
FX: BK Tube Driver - EH Small Stone - MXR CC
Acoustics: Breedlove ADSM20 - Alveraz 5021 12-String
What kind of loser would actually read that? Oh the ones listed above me.
I'd put my money on overheating , or maybe a weak power supply.

Don't bet on the DX9 thing, this is a DX10 card ( albeit you don't really have the power to run a game in DX10 ) so it's certainly compatible with DX9.
Orange Enthousiast.
Quote by Tasman

Why are you living?

Actually, don't answer that. I don't care what you have to say. Just kill yourself.
XBL Gamertag: SealCubs
Quote by Tasman

Oh, i forgot how cool you are . Sorry for trying to help someone. Idiot.
check the cards temperature with the MSI software you got with it ( I got a NX8800GTS so I think you might have the same software package)
Orange Enthousiast.
it shouldn't over heat with the stock fans so obviously there is something wrong with it. instead of trying to fix it, and run the risk of biffing it and it being out of warranty just take it back to the store and get a new one. save yourself $30 and the risk of it breaking. also you don't need to overclock it. its fast enough as it is, so stock fan is fine.
I would advise fans...you could cause permanent damage to your video card if you keep playing and its overheating.

Happened to me in HL2 also today. Weird. In addition to what you had the ammo meter is half way cut off and there is a blurry spot constantly next to the crosshair. My video card isn't half as good as yours though.
Its running at 48 degrees, so temperature isn't a problem.
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"

Bacchus basses FTW!
Any other ideas? if not, I'm going to take it back and hopefully get a refund / exchange for a different card..
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"

Bacchus basses FTW!
Does it need an extra power supply? If so then thats your problem, if not then its a faulty card/
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
I ran rivatuner over the top of Far Cry, and i got to 60 degrees, and it stayed between 57 and 60 for most of the time that i played, and then it just crashed. that was about 5-10 mins of gameplay.

I dunno much about power supplies, so i copied the everythign it said on the side.

Input: 115v~ / 10A 230V~ / 5A. 50-60hz

Output: Peak 400W, Rated 350W

+12v1 ------ 14A (Max) +12V2 ------ 16A (Max)
+5v -------- 25A (Max) +5VSB --------- 7.5A (Max)
+3.3v ------ 18A (Max) -12V ------ 0.3A (Max)

I dont know how to tell if my computer needs more power or not, i'm hoping someone can tell me?

I dont believe my card needs a direct wire to the power supply..
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"

Bacchus basses FTW!
I can think of a few things that could cause this;

The graphics card might be overheating, which means you will need to get a fan to cool it down.

The power supply might not be powerful enough or the graphics card, meaning you'll need to invest in a more powerful power supply.

The graphics card might be faulty, which means you'll need to take it back.
make sure the graphics drivers are up to date. what OS do you use?
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

no way I'm reading that

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Don't ****ing post then if you aren't going to bother reading the thread.

I'm running windows XP, but a new problem has occurred

I tried updating the BIOS using my motherboard manufactureres auto-updater program, and now its completely ****ed my computer, freezing as i boot up windows.

I've tried taking out the CMOS battery, and i've tried changing the CCMOS jumper for a few minutes, and ITS STILL NOT ****ING WORKING
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"

Bacchus basses FTW!
Watercooling. It's the only way to go.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
yeah, be careful when you update your bios... make sure you wait a few minutes for all the energy to dissipate in the computer itself---and make sure the comp is drained before you actually take out the battery (hitting the power button when the comp is unplugged from the outlet. -- and like guitarcrazy kinda said, you may have to switch a jumper.

and my brother had the same kind of problem with his graphics card (geforce FX i beleive it was) It was actually faulty ram on the graphics card i guess.---just another possibility of what could be wrong.
70's Japan Greco SuperPower
Amps: '65 TRRI - Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - Epiphone VJ Head (Modded) - 2x12 Celestion Greenback Cab
FX: BK Tube Driver - EH Small Stone - MXR CC
Acoustics: Breedlove ADSM20 - Alveraz 5021 12-String
Almost certainly the graphics card overheating due to overclocking. I also had a card which was factory overclocked to suchandsuch a speed, but I was getting artifacts too. However, all I did was slap a bigger fan on the back of my comp and cleaned the others of dust and it was fine from that point onwards.

So basically, beef up your case cooling! I don't think you really need watercooling, that's just extreme.
The other alternative is that it's not getting enough power. That's a relatively big machine so you'd want at least 450 watts imo.

EDIT

Actually read it - battery issues suck ass. Leave it out for a few minutes for it to reset itself. If that doesn't work, you probably have some bigger problems.
My name is Marc! Silly username.
So like, I figured out that resetting te CMOS just resets the bios settings to default, not the bios version.

I've tried flashing it multiple times via DOS, and it's frozen on the Award Bios flash program, on "Please Wait !"

I hate computers.
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"

Bacchus basses FTW!
Quote by benco
Its running at 48 degrees, so temperature isn't a problem.

yeah.... 48 degrees celsius

48 degrees celsius=118.4 degrees Farenhieght.

You need to get that temperature down NOW

EDIT: sorry, no idea on the BIOS thing.
Gear:
ESP LTD F-50
Silvertone strat knock off (not quite sure)
Silvertone 15 watt practice amp
48 Degrees is normal dude.

6600GT's were at like 75 degrees celcius.

EDIT: getting a computer tech to fix it >_>

stupid computers. there goes 90 bucks
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"

Bacchus basses FTW!