I used to play in B and filed the 6th string slot to fit a 56 gauge. Now I want to switch up to D and use 11-50's. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need a new nut. Can you just bring it to a local shop to get it changed and how much does it usually cost?
Guild DV-4 Acoustic
Fender Standard Telecaster Ash MIM
Fender Vibro Champ XD
I bought an Earvana compensated nut and it was like $20 to get it installed.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I'm not sure, I changed out the nut on my ibanez in like 30 seconds. But like the way strats have there nuts in like a slot, and glued in, that's a little trickier....I don't see why a guitar teck/luthier would charge more than like the $5-$8 range give or take a couple bucks from that so realy like $3-$10, but I think anything above $5 is a little expencive.
Quote by FacingUsAll
I bought an Earvana compensated nut and it was like $20 to get it installed.

Wow, that must be one hell of a nut, I bought a perfectly good one for about $1.50 I checked out these Earvana nuts, "revolutionary" they say....is it as good as they say? maybe I'll get me one.
I play mostly chords; all the barre chords sounded off because of the non-wound G string problem that electric guitars have.

The problem is gone now .

I don't remember how much I paid for the nut (although they sent me a free one too) but I'm pretty sure the installation at my local guitar store was $20ish.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.