I'm going to get a guitar with humbackers, and I was wondering the differences between Les Paul vs. SG vs. X-plorer vs. Flying V?

Also, can you recomend other gutairs with humbackers?
Quote by Sun-burst
firstly its humbuckers not humbackers. only difference is shape and construction

Oh yes sorry

So they sound the same?

Quote by maisey ferret
Hmm so you like gibson then...

Yeah Well it'll be a Epiphone
What sort of a sound do you want? Tbh the best way to do it is to go to a music shop. Find 1 you like. Then go buy it online. You'll get it alot cheaper (y)
Gibson, Martin, Orange, Apple.
Quote by maisey ferret
What sort of a sound do you want? Tbh the best way to do it is to go to a music shop. Find 1 you like. Then go buy it online. You'll get it alot cheaper (y)

Well I'd like a sound like AC / DC or Black Sabbath have..

Thanks for the advice, but I support my guitar shop
Get an SG if you like those 2 bands
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
SG's are nice. Heh i own 1 course id say that. Depending on your budget you could even get a Gibson SG. they arent that pricey. My SG was £519 (GBP) but they are cheaper in US, well to me anyway. The pound is owning the dollar atm (y)
Gibson, Martin, Orange, Apple.
Both Angus Young and Toni Iommi Use Gibson SGs through Marshall amps. What amp you using at the moment?
yeh, play a few SG's first cuz of your likes, and if they dont float your boat GO FOR THE LES PAUL W00T
1.) What amp are you using?

2.) If you're going to buy an SG, take a look at the G-400 by Epiphone. The Gibson Special Faded is a rip off unless you're lucky to find one. And even then, you get lousy dot inlays.

3.) As already mentioned, try out as many as you can before buying.
Quote by Crimson_tornado
Both Angus Young and Toni Iommi Use Gibson SGs through Marshall amps. What amp you using at the moment?

Roland120R

Hmm.. I really like the SG, but I think the X-plorer looks a bit cooler? Is the sound very different?
Last edited by Nugi at Sep 23, 2007,
les pauls are very warm and rich and thick sounding, SGs are made from complete mahogany and their sound is a lot muddier. Don't have experience with V's and Explorers though.
Get the SG

if you have enough get the Gibson SG Standard
theyre well lush

(can you tell that i own one)
SG commando

Inserts hilarious quote here
Quote by punk_rock_isaac
Get the SG

if you have enough get the Gibson SG Standard
theyre well lush

(can you tell that i own one)

I wish I could

Thanks for replying everone I'll soon go to the guitar shop, and have a look
I'd take an Epiphone SG(G400 in cherry, perhaps?) if you want to play AC/DC and Black Sabbath. If you think you'd be more satisfied with an Explorer, though, what's stopping you? I'd imagine that it won't be that hard to nail those tones with one.

Plus, if you want sound like these bands, I'd worry about your current amp more if I were you.
Fender Lite Ash Tele/Hamer SATF<--Korg DT-10<Zvex Super Hard On<Digitech Bad Monkey<MI Audio Crunchbox<Pro Co "Keeley" Rat<Line 6 M13<<--Marshall JTM60 1x12 Combo
Quote by maisey ferret
SG's are nice. Heh i own 1 course id say that. Depending on your budget you could even get a Gibson SG. they arent that pricey. My SG was £519 (GBP) but they are cheaper in US, well to me anyway. The pound is owning the dollar atm (y)

definately get the gibson online. i got ripped off when i originally bought my epiphone sg. i payed the same price at a guitar center that i could have payed for the gibson if i would have bough it from guitar center online. always buy a new guitar online. if it is used, i would hold it in my hand before i even considered buying it.

and the gibson sg is like 10 times better than the epiphone... not that it doesnt go without saying
they call og or nothing at all!!
Quote by Crimson_tornado

Wrong.

Iommi uses Laney not marshall.
if you get a V, god will come down and personally hunt and kill you.

Do the right thing, getta Les Paul.
Quote by silentdob
*waits for the legion of Dimebag fans to beat me to death with bottles of Jack*
Quote by kingjiyoon
no vs threads please. clearly says that in the rule

These kind of versus threads are allowed.

The ones that aren't are ones like the "Fender vs. Gibson" ones where people just waste everyone else's time .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Out of that list,
Les Pauls - Good sustain, versatile little things, weighty too (so it doubles as a war-hammer in times of need)
SG - more bite in the sound, light as a bag of chips, just as versatile, still OK as a hammer, but not as good
X-plorer - No idea about sound, but deffo more metal orientated, or just if ya fancy something a little more flash, have fun trying to get a case for it though... Not much cop as a hammer, too ungainly
V - The flash bastard's weapon of choice. Nice tone, a bugger to play sat down, but no need to. Looks frigging awesome, but can make you look stupid if you ain;t careful. Just invites a fancy technique. If used as a hammer, more likely to brain yourself than the invading hordes.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Quote by kingjiyoon
no vs threads please. clearly says that in the rule

it's not a vs. thread in the was I'm asking which is better, I'm asking the difference
That (i think) is aloud

Quote by C40.is.hot
I'd take an Epiphone SG(G400 in cherry, perhaps?) if you want to play AC/DC and Black Sabbath. If you think you'd be more satisfied with an Explorer, though, what's stopping you? I'd imagine that it won't be that hard to nail those tones with one.

Plus, if you want sound like these bands, I'd worry about your current amp more if I were you.

I only need a pratice amp, and I cant fit anymore in my room

Quote by Korzack
Out of that list,
Les Pauls - Good sustain, versatile little things, weighty too (so it doubles as a war-hammer in times of need)
SG - more bite in the sound, light as a bag of chips, just as versatile, still OK as a hammer, but not as good
X-plorer - No idea about sound, but deffo more metal orientated, or just if ya fancy something a little more flash, have fun trying to get a case for it though... Not much cop as a hammer, too ungainly
V - The flash bastard's weapon of choice. Nice tone, a bugger to play sat down, but no need to. Looks frigging awesome, but can make you look stupid if you ain;t careful. Just invites a fancy technique. If used as a hammer, more likely to brain yourself than the invading hordes.

Thanks bud

Quote by Nugi
Roland120R

Hmm.. I really like the SG, but I think the X-plorer looks a bit cooler? Is the sound very different?

Oh wait! I screwed up I have a Randall RX120R is it any good?
Last edited by Nugi at Sep 23, 2007,
If you're going for an epiphone, I'd recommend an Epi Les Paul. (In my opinion) they have a better all around tone than Epi SGs. But you could save up and get a Gibson Faded SG for a little under $600, if you have the money.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Quote by Thebiz
If you're going for an epiphone, I'd recommend an Epi Les Paul. (In my opinion) they have a better all around tone than Epi SGs. But you could save up and get a Gibson Faded SG for a little under $600, if you have the money.

I do have the money for a faded, but someone said they were a rip off?
Quote by Nugi
I do have the money for a faded, but someone said they were a rip off?

They are the one of the cheapest Gibson guitars around...

Of course the best thing to do is try them out and see for yourself.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Quote by Thebiz
They are the one of the cheapest Gibson guitars around...

Of course the best thing to do is try them out and see for yourself.

Yeah I will
try them out before you buy

i was interested in getting an SG but i went to the shop and the neck is so thick compared to others and it was uncomfortable to me
Quote by TDS
You know what would be awsome? A phone that doubled as a fleshlight that recharged power through kinetic motion.

"hold on guys my phone's dying."
*fap*
"Ok we're good."
i have an sg and a strat, but the sg just murders the strat, i love my sg
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
Quote by Thebiz

guitarcenter.com they sell them for like 500

i played it at the store and the gibson sg is amazing
they call og or nothing at all!!
Quote by angus is god
i have an sg and a strat, but the sg just murders the strat, i love my sg

+1

Just try them all out and buy what you think is best
Go with the SG
Quote by Sense()Offender
Solo? What's that? You mean like, playing guitar alone?

Quote by imnotcommunist
dude my balls fell off of my dick. is this good?

Quote by rizo299

Yes, stupididty isn't just confined to america.
Either go with the SG, or the Explorer. I love the Explorer shape, so I'm biased. Go with that.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
im into same kinda music and decided on an epiphone iommi SG, maybe mines just bril. BUt i would choose it over the gibson les pauls, Sg standard, and custom and supreme i tried in the shop.