Poll: more musically talented?
Poll Options
View poll results: more musically talented?
Bob Dylan
82 60%
Yngwie Malmsteen
55 40%
Voters: 137.
Page 1 of 2
"flame sheild up"

who is more musically talented Bob dylan or

Yngwie Malmsteen?

i know they are about as different musical styles a cannibal corpse and girls aloud but
which artist would you say has more musical talent?

ok maybe bob dylan wasnt the greatest songwriterof all time but still
Last edited by shintyboyiain at Sep 23, 2007,
I think everyone is born with the ability to play, to learn, but only a few are born with a spark. Not exactly talent, just something else, that makes them special.

Your question isn't really an intelligent one, because it's biassed(Bob Dylan isn't the greatest songwriter of all time, believe it or not) and you have compared to things, that are withinthemselves, completely different.
Quote by MastaBassist10
Bob Dylan, although I wouldn't say he was THE greatest writer of all time.

+1

jon bon jovi thinks he was too.
Ibanez S470
Boss ME-50...
Some old amp...

Umm, Malmsteen. Quite obviously.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
I'm going to go for the third option. Talent doesn't exist, only thousands of hours of practice.

Now you're probably wondering what Dylan would practice for thousands of hours, I'm pretty unsure, maybe English?

You get the point though.
I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A poor Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!

Dave Mustaine Kill List:
Draken
WinterMadness79
Dirge Humani
MrGuitar123
RHCP94
Coins
Magnus_Maximus
Quote by shintyboyiain
ok maybe bob dylan wasnt the greatest songwriterof all time but still

You've got to be kidding me. That's his best quality. He wrote the best songs. Malmsteen may have the technique and speed, but he has no songwriting capabilities whatsoever. And that is why he will never even touch the legend that is Bob Dylan.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Quote by FlamingYouth
You've got to be kidding me. That's his best quality. He wrote the best songs. Malmsteen may have the technique and speed, but he has no songwriting capabilities whatsoever. And that is why he will never even touch the legend that is Bob Dylan.

i said that because of the first post
I think he was the best songwriter of all time but it seemed biased
Seems Malmsteen is winning, but then again this is a guitar forum. If it was a plain ol' music forum... who knows?

Anyway, go Dylan!
Quote by aaron13
well i get on the net and chat with hot chicks alot.
most of them want to see me naked.. and they are over 18..
Quote by shintyboyiain
i said that because of the first post
I think he was the best songwriter of all time but it seemed biased

Ah, ok. I thought ur were saying he was a poor song writer!
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Quote by Azwethinkwedo
malmsteen is a fat swedish idiot with too much talent for his tiny amount of emotion.

dylan is the other way around. But a great lyricist

I'm sorry, but because someone doesn't play at 46bpm and uses stupid amounts or delay, reverb and vibrato does NOT mean that their playing is emotionless.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm sorry, but because someone doesn't play at 46bpm and uses stupid amounts or delay, reverb and vibrato does NOT mean that their playing is emotionless.

i dont know what you mean? i think you mis understood me, because as a reply to what i said, that doesnt make sense. I'm saying malmsteen has no emotion and alot of wasted talent. and bob dylan isnt that muscially talented, just a poet with a guitar.
Quote by Azwethinkwedo
i dont know what you mean? i think you mis understood me, because as a reply to what i said, that doesnt make sense. I'm saying malmsteen has no emotion and alot of wasted talent. and bob dylan isnt that muscially talented, just a poet with a guitar.

It makes perfect sense. You're saying Malmsteem has no emotion, and, as probably 67% of UGer's thoughts are "shreddzorz=/=emotion", I assume that's the reason you think he has no emotion. However, the aforementioned 67% feel that Dave Gilmour is the most emotive player ever, and he doesn't play fast stuff. I'm basically saying that it's bullsh*t. All music has emotion.
Quote by Flemfloyd
I'm going to go for the third option. Talent doesn't exist, only thousands of hours of practice.

Now you're probably wondering what Dylan would practice for thousands of hours, I'm pretty unsure, maybe English?

You get the point though.

I think this is ridiculous.
There is poetry in despair.
Maybe it's time for videos! I mean, I've voted Dylan when I've only seen a couple of Malmsteen vids and I guess for some it's the other way round too.

Let's find our favourite videos of our chosen artist so we're not voting blind?
Quote by aaron13
Couple'a Dylan vids (Damn they took down the awesome Ballad of a Thin Man video )

ISIS

If you want me too- YES! <---- Awesome line. You need to watch this one, it's just so cool. It starts halfway through the song and is quite loud so don't be shocked by sudden loudness.

It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)

Vintage awesomeness. "If my thoughts and dreams could be seen, they'd probably put my head in a guillotine" etc. Cool.

EDIT: Tangled Up In Blue

Can someone post some good Malmsteen please?
Quote by aaron13
Last edited by Hobolad at Sep 23, 2007,
Quote by Azwethinkwedo
malmsteen is a fat swedish idiot with too much talent for his tiny amount of emotion.

Indeed.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
smells like a Vs. thread to me...

Same Here.

Also, Dylan FTW.

I wouldn't tell Malmsteen he lost the poll though.

He'll unleash the focking fury.
Our hearts are with Nick Grundy.
Quote by Ez0ph
I think AvengedThrice is pretty cool guy, eh raeps kittens to death and doesn't afraid of anything.

He knows me well..
Last edited by AvengedThrice at Sep 23, 2007,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It makes perfect sense. You're saying Malmsteem has no emotion, and, as probably 67% of UGer's thoughts are "shreddzorz=/=emotion", I assume that's the reason you think he has no emotion. However, the aforementioned 67% feel that Dave Gilmour is the most emotive player ever, and he doesn't play fast stuff. I'm basically saying that it's bullsh*t. All music has emotion.

thats not what i mean, because malmsteen is always a shredder, he has made many great songs. its just i think he is highly over rated and when you watch him play, he doesnt have any where near the sort of emotion or passion as players such as Vai or Gilmour. Vai can shred, and play powerful ballards like gilmour.
I think rather than a versus thread this is just a way to found out what we all define as "talent" y'know? With examples.

If talent is being able to make noises that not too many other people can make but doesn't sound too nice then it's Malmsteen.

If talent is making noises that sound nice that other people can play but may not have thought of then it's Dylan.

In my opinion.
Quote by aaron13
Quote by fridge_raider
I think this is ridiculous.

Thank you. Care to elaborate on your comment? Although I do agree with you that what I said about Dylan learning English was a bit strange but apart from that it's not that ridiculous, in my opinion anyway.
I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A poor Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!

Dave Mustaine Kill List:
Draken
WinterMadness79
Dirge Humani
MrGuitar123
RHCP94
Coins
Magnus_Maximus
ive had enough of this ****ing emotion bull****, aggression and all the other sort of feelings that can be effectively represented (<--for want of a better word) by fast music like malmsteen are emotions too dumbarses. a more "spiritual" person like vai has no more or less than an angry bastard like yngwie malmsteen.

and here is an example of something that not only would take a humongous swedish bucket load of talent to compose (an entire orchestras worth no less) it also has a lot of "emotion" in the sense that all you lot seem to go on about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn6-XqmkKUA

normally i wouldnt swear and be so aggressive but this shredding hate *due to the stupid no emotion agrument* has gone on long enough IMO

EDIT: in relation to the poll i reckon its a waste of time anyway, like dave murray said in a recent interview on this very site, music is not a competition
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Sep 23, 2007,
id like to throw in a third option, and say jack white.
but in all honesty, ill admit im not one for shred (except some vai), or dylan, but in this situation i think dylan wins as he can actually write a song instead of playing faster then most people can, but not really having any orrigionality (hey, im starting to sound like yngwie now) or yes, ill say emotion in his playing.
bob dylan is more of a poet but malmsteen composes huge classical based guitar parts so im gonna so with malmsteen.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Dylan - Covered by everyone and their brother.
Malmsteen - Covered by hmmmm nevermind.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.

He's obviously very good, it's just not my thing though. I can see why people like him, just doesn't click with me.
Quote by aaron13
The only talent there is in music is being able to hear what works and what doesn't.. neither one is more talented than the other they are both capable musicians.

An example of a player without musical talent would be micheal angelo, hes an extreme example of some1 who doesn't have good ear but has practiced & perfected his technique to an almost inhuman point lol
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Last edited by synth002 at Sep 23, 2007,
I just think bob dylan looks like a guy you wanna punch for some reason but Yngwie Malmsteen is just a guy you want you say "STFU YOU LAME SHOWOFF"

Thats what i think.
Just because malmsteen plays shred doesn't mean he can't play stuff like dylan. I'm not saying that I'm siding with malmsteen or dylan because to tell the truth I don't really care.

P.S. all music has emotion, even if it sucks.
Well, Bob Dylan is known for writing very appealing lyrics, as well as playing them along to chords that have great chemistry together (in my opinion). An ocassional guitar solo here and there, but unlike many artists at his time, he isn't obsessed with making the guitar seem like the greatest instrument ever.

Yngwie Malmsteen is known for playing guitar at very high speeds, although having little attention given to dynamics at times. He is known for writing orchestral music (I personally find it boring, unoriginal and mediocre, but that's just me), as well as Metal music.

I personally hate Yngwie Malmsteen's music. I like Bob Dylan's. I really can't say who is more talented.
Page 1 of 2