Page 1 of 2
My budget is £2500 my music tastes are hard rock and metal with a bit of punk and blues thrown in. These are the following guitars and amps i am considering.

Guitars

Angus Young SG

Joe satraini Ibanez

Dean Razorback Slime Bumble Bee

Malmsteen Strat

Ibanez MTM1

Amps

Mesa Boogie 5:50

Peavey 6505

Cornford Careera

Or is there a better setup i don't know about ?
Also I'de like to mention that i want a combo amp as i wont be gigging any time soon and a stack will be to loud for my bedroom. Also sorry most of the guitars are signature series.
id go with the strat and the cornford
just cause i love the feel of a strat & ive heard cornfords & they've blown me away, amazing tone.
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
Guitar wise i'd go with the SG, simply because i think it's going to be more versatile than the others. I've noticed they all have a trem of some form. Is that something you're after?

Amp wise i'd say 6505.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
A trem isn't nessecery but most guitars over £1000 have them anyway and also its going to be useful when i need to use one.
I think the best possible bet for all those genres is just a Les Paul. And seeing as you've got a Gibson already and are using it with a Roland Cube, I'd just change pickups and go for an ENGL Screamer:

Amazing amp. Does fender cleans right upto some metal gain. It handles blues perfectly with an external OD and punk is easy to it. The LP is perfect for all those genres as is really. Maybe a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge with a Jazz in the neck.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
SG + Cornford

But that's just my taste. I'm more blues/rock n' roll oriented than metal/punk.

Damn, I wish I had 2500 pounds to dish out on some nice gear right now, haha.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Thanks for the help so far guys. I do really want a new guitar and a combo though as im having trouble acsessing the higher frets on my les paul due to the neck being joined at the 15th rarther than the 19th on most guitars.
Quote by kyrreca
Is there any particular reason you want an overpriced guitar?

Exaclty my thoughts most of those guitars are decent enough, but you're probably paying £3-400 over the odds for the name...and the Dime thing is just fcking hideous.

Sig guitars exist as a whim for people with too much money, if you want to get the most out of your cash steer clear, there's better stuff out there.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by kyrreca

So i can look like some rich snob who cant play. But in all seriousness what would you suggest guitar wise then?
Quote by kyrreca

I agree with this guy. Signature guitars are not good value for the money. And I mean seriously, would you like to be seen with that godawful Razorback? I'm not gonna put down Dime, because a lot of people like him, but he didn't have a good sense of aesthetics.

As for the other ones, there are better versions of all those models, without someone's name one them increasing the price by 25%
Quote by josh999x
Thanks for the help so far guys. I do really want a new guitar and a combo though as im having trouble acsessing the higher frets on my les paul due to the neck being joined at the 15th rarther than the 19th on most guitars.
Ah, I see, well that's a good reason for wanting away from Les Pauls...

Seeing as you have so much money, why not try out that ENGL Screamer through a nice PRS? You might be able to get a Custom 24 for that... 24 frets, double Strat cutaway, Les Paul tone, comfort contouring and it's such a damn nice guitar. I think that'd be a sweet rig personally.
He asked for metal why not get a nice Ibanez RG Prestige or something like an ESP M-II, I can't really help amp-wise, just go try a few in a store
Quote by josh999x
Yeah i'll check out the engl's if i get a chance.
They have a large selection of ENGLs in PMT Birmingham - infact that's where I first tried them. I'm not sure if they have alot of PRS (can't remember) but they've got a £32,000 PRS Dragon II if you're interested

See if you can drop in there, awesome shop.
Where abouts is PMT because i've only been to fair deal and express music and i think the PRS Dragon might be a bit out of my budget .
OMG! Get the Angus Young SG!
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by josh999x
im having trouble acsessing the higher frets on my les paul due to the neck being joined at the 15th rarther than the 19th on most guitars.

Check out this mutha: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-SG-Supreme-Electric-Guitar-with-57-Humbuckers?sku=517217

24 frets with easy access (i think the neck connects at the 22nd fret!) and i've heard it sounds exactly like an LP. Not the mention the amazing finishes it comes in. This Supreme def. beats the Angus SG for me. The only con is, I've heard it's a tad neck heavy (due to the long neck), but if you can live with that...it's a very nice git. (You can pretty much fix that with a good leather strap which grips your shoulder well)
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Quote by josh999x
Where abouts is PMT because i've only been to fair deal and express music and i think the PRS Dragon might be a bit out of my budget .

136, Lawley Middleway
Birmingham
West Midlands B4 7XX

Thats the one closest to you i assume.

Map

I use the PMT in Romford. Its great. They match prices off GAK!
Thanks Magnum and Youth i'm a pretty hefty guy so heavy guitars do not bother me the only problem with the supreme is that it dosn't come in cherry red
Quote by josh999x
the only problem with the supreme is that it dosn't come in cherry red

Personally, I prefer the other finishes. Cherry red SGs are so common.
naturally i would say the sg because that is what i have but i would say get the bumble bee because it is so wierd/awsome (if that makes any sence)

but only get the sg if you are going to get a gibson. if you are looking for more of a cheap brand the ibanez is your best bet
they call og or nothing at all!!
Quote by josh999x
although midnight burst is tempting.

Let the color 'grow on you'

I think you should be more concerned about tone and playability tho (both of which the SG supreme excels in). As long as you don't hate the color of the guitar, I'd say go with it. And talking about looks, do I have to mention that Bumble Bee you were considering? Good Lord...
Quote by FlamingYouth
Let the color 'grow on you'

I think you should be more concerned about tone and playability tho (both of which the SG supreme excels in). As long as you don't hate the color of the guitar, I'd say go with it. And talking about looks, do I have to mention that Bumble Bee you were considering? Good Lord...

I got used to playing a bass with a panther print finish, if anyone can get used to that, you can get used to a midnight burst.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by FlamingYouth
SG + Cornford

But that's just my taste. I'm more blues/rock n' roll oriented than metal/punk.

Damn, I wish I had 2500 pounds to dish out on some nice gear right now, haha.

+1
[member of UG's Slide Player Legion
PM Shedmeiser101 to join if your feelin dem blues
sounds like what you want is a Gibson Les Paul Standard (£1400) and £1100 worth of amp!!!

seriously though, The LP Standard would be perfect, and you could get a Marshall JVM combo, which would be really awesome. go for that combination my good friend, and you will never get AIDS!!!
There is no contest. Get the JS1200 and the 6505. I don't care if the JS is a sig guitar, it's the only way to get that body shape new anymore and it's a kick ass guitar.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
So at the moment i'm getting the impression to get a sg angus or supreme with a 6505.
I would avoid getting a signature series. Get a nice regular guitar you like and mod it.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
I would get a Ibanez RG1820X prestige (they have a piezo system) and a Peavey JSX or XXX, and buy some effects. But it's just me, i don't have 2500£ to spent

From the list, i would go to the Ibanez MTM1 (can do metal obsiouly, and swith the 85 for the EMG 60) and to the 6505.
Page 1 of 2