So I just put new strings on my Ibanez RG and am now stuck in the process of tuning it. When I use the Tuning Heads to tune one string, the others go out of tune and eventually the Edge Pro starts tilting upwards. Im just about to take the back case off and change the angle of the tremolo. Is this a good idea? Or should I try and block the tremolo from moving at all?
Open the backplate and tighten the springs a little. The tension between springs and stings must be balanced.
That's what happens with floating bridges - that's why you change strings one at a time, to maintain tension.

You are changing them one at a time, aren't you...surely you didn't take all the strings off?

There's no point blocking the trem as when you unblock it it'll just find it's equilibrium point which will invariably not be where you want it and you'll have to go through the tuning process again anyway. You're just going to have to spend a long time tuning it - if you've got the same gauge strings and haven't touched the trem springs then it WILL eventually be parallel with the guitar in standard tuning, it'll just take a while to get it there. Last time I strung a floating bridge from scratch (had to, the guitar had no neck for 6 months!) it took me the best part of an hour.

Remember, if you haven't touched the trem springs and you haven't changed gauge then don't touch the springs. They're already at the right tension to balances a set of strings in standard tuning.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
start by turning the HIGH E string in tune.
Then tune the B string. Now go back and retune the high E, and then go do the G.
Then go back and retune the high E and the B
etc etc..
my springs are fully tightened and mine isn't parallel at all had to block the bridge off :\
Quote by Tu-c2550
my springs are fully tightened and mine isn't parallel at all had to block the bridge off :\

WHat string gauge are you using, and what do you tune to?
Quote by Tu-c2550
9-48 or something, nothing weird anyway. and standard tuning :s

Maybe you should try changing the springs, or putting in another one, if possible.
Quote by henza_x
Then tune the B string. Now go back and retune the high E, and then go do the G.
etc etc..

Yeah I was just doing that^. I just lowered the bridge down then tuned all the strings an octave down. Then moved the bridge up and its finally settled. Unfortunately my dad snapped the E string so ill have to do that again. Cheers for all youe help guys.
Quote by henza_x
etc etc..

Ha. No. Start from the low E, it won't snap as you tighten it.
Yeah, you ALWAYS start with the low E as it's the one that affects the bridge the most. Once the heavier strings are settled mucking around with the thinnre ones doesn't affect them as much. If you have the top 3 in tune and make a tiny adjustment on the low E you'll send all 3 way out of whack though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com