I'm doing an essay in school about how stereotyping is harmful to society, and I mean all stereotyping (Black people are criminals, the Irish are alcoholics, Muslims are terrorists etc), but I'm finding it really really hard to find and facts or statistics to back up my opinions.

Can anyone give me a link or post some facts or incidences that invlove any kind of stereotyping being harmful (and not google, ive already tried)?
Here's a cool fact. The number of white women raped by a black man in America in 2005 was 37,460. The number of black women raped by a white man was less than ten.

Wikipedia source.

Not that that helps, but Wiki has all sorts of fun statistics. Stick to a couple of racial stereotypes, wiki it and find some interesting facts out.

By the way, on that fact use logic. It doesn't count the huge number of white women raped by white men or the number of black women raped by black men.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
You could just put: I'm too punk to write your essay and just scribble Anarchy signs.

Alternatively; I think the "Muslims are terrorists" Misconception is a prime example of stereotypes effecting society, causing more terrorists to come from this discrimination.

EDIT: Rape statistics are cool facts?
Learn something new everyday.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
Quote by duggyrocks
Thanks, but I dont think that fact helps me much, Im in the UK, so the examiner would toss any american statistic aside.

This is hard

The examiner won't. It's a valid statistic. Does the essay ask you specifically for UK statistics and case studies? If not, you can have a statistic from the Virgin Islands and it'll still be valid.
Are a certain number of statistics required? Because I generally use complex language and my own observations to bull**** my way through then throw in a small number of facts and statistics that I find through google.

Also, 77% of statistics are made up. Including this one. Use it to your advantage.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by duggyrocks
Ok, but how does that rape statistic apply to my essay on stereotyping?

As Rankles was suggesting. Does it include white on white or black on black statistics? No. It shows that more black people rape white women than white men rape black women. What would that say to the underintelligent 14 year old?
Quote by duggyrocks
Ahhh.. i see, thanks for clearing that up. Im also finding news stories about people in the UK being shot by police because they "look" like terrorists, even though they are innocent.

You do know by bringing that up, you are obliged to use the entire James Hetfield story?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You do know by bringing that up, you are obliged to use the entire James Hetfield story?

I thought that was a faked story?
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The examiner won't know that

Sly

Cite UG as your source!

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT