So, you may have seen my thread yesterday on raising my string gauge from .9s to .11s on my Strat. For the most part it went ok, i.e. they haven't snapped yet.

But there are a few minor problems, such as the neck or tuning pegs making a clicking noise when I tighten the strings (Which I have to do, because they won't stay in tune). I'm guessing this is the truss rod, any advice with this?

Plus, this may just be me being paranoid but I tightened the springs for the bridge and the bridge still seems high, about 4 or 5mm above the body.

Is it safe to continue and tune her up, or will I have to do any more pissery with it?

Thanks a lot.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Bump! I'm sorry to do this, but I really need some help with this.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

if you've never dealt with a truss rod, i wouldn't. take it to a pro and get it set up for anything. usually about $50.
Gear:
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Ibanez AEL20E Acoustic-Electric
I don't know if it's the truss rod though. Which is why I was asking on here.
Call me Callum

1st: Detune the strings.
2nd: Open the back cavity and tighten the springs, so that the bridge is flat with the guitar.
3rd: Tune up again.

If dont want to do that, then take it to the shop and you will be out $30 for something you could do with a simple screwdriver.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Its probably the nut. The strings are binding up. Take a pencil and rub the tip down in the grooves, get some graphite in them. This will lubricate the notches. When you take it in for a truss-rod adjustment (which you need to do) get a complete setup and tell the tech about the problem. The nut may just need a little dressing, or a new nut. Its not that expensive.
For the record, strings make snapping noises all the time. I wouldn't really mess with the guitar anymore if I were you. Have a tech look at it and have them lower the action. It'll cost you a pretty penny (dunno how much) but better to be safe then sorry.
I've both tightened up the springs and used graphite in the nut. If you think the snapping noise is just the strings stretching I'll continue, I just don't want to either snap the neck of my guitar or damage the bridge.

EDIT: just read uldhppi's comment again, thanks.
Call me Callum

Last edited by roythereaper at Sep 23, 2007,
The string gauge is not going to put any more tension on the neck as long as you are not changing tunings. The strings are going to fit tighter in the nut, so the grooves may need to be filed a bit. That could make them sit a little higher if they are not going all of the way into the grooves. Tightening the springs at the bridge won't lower your string height. The small allen or set screws at each string saddle will have to be adjusted to do this along with the possible adjustment at the nut. I would agree to putting some type of lubricant on the nut.