I believe I have come up with a new techniques for playing bass. I like to call it flicking. Where you literally flick, at the most, 2 strings with your finger. It produces a very good harmonic balance if played right. It works out excellent if you are playing along side an acoustic or electric guitar. Flicking gives the bass "a tie" to the aoustic or electric guitar that you don't normally hear in music. I should have some examples posted on my profile page within the week to give you an idea of what it sounds like. I still have to finish writing a few more to give a full scale of the sound and the possibilities that comes with it. Its also very easy to switch the technique from flicking to tapping, slapping, fingering, and a few others and back again. Well let me know what you think about my new found technique. hope to hear from you all...
I'm sure John Entwhistle was doing something like this a long, long time ago.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Yeah, it's just like a variation on flameco, apart from more aggressive. I've been using the same technique to bring out the high harmonics for a far while.

Why do so many people come in and 'discover' techniques? A guitarist who thought he had discovered pinch harmonics, a bassist about regular harmonics.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I have been playing the bass with my ball sack lately. It produces a good harmonic balance if played correctly. It gives a good *thump thump* to a nice walking bass line. It ALSO sounds good alongside an acoustic or electric guitar. It produces a sound you don't really hear in music. I recommend shaving before attempting this technique.
Quote by Smidgelton
I have been playing the bass with my ball sack lately. It produces a good harmonic balance if played correctly. It gives a good *thump thump* to a nice walking bass line. It ALSO sounds good alongside an acoustic or electric guitar. It produces a sound you don't really hear in music. I recommend shaving before attempting this technique.

*reported* for spam. Sorry kid, that was just stupid, and mocking.

I think it's great that people feel they've discovered a technique. In that way, it'll inspire a person to delve into different areas and produce a unique style.

Now if only I invented the funk fingers...
Quote by Smidgelton

instaban. w00t.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Wouldn't flicking be difficult to play on anything faster than a quarter note since you'd have to get your fingers 'behind' the string to get it to work correctly?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i think this is all to avante-garde for y'all, you probably wouldn't understand

/NSG reference

...geez, i've made an NSG reference twice today, with pretty much the same line... i must stop!

to be on topic, this technique does sound interesting, though i agree with theFitz, it would be slow, unless you could figure out how to do 'alternate flicking'... ooh, that rhymes with picking!
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
I think you'd be better trying the normal flamenco technique. It could get a similar tone (though less aggressive) in order to have greater dexterity when playing.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
you didn't make it up i use that technique all the time
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by thefitz
Wouldn't flicking be difficult to play on anything faster than a quarter note since you'd have to get your fingers 'behind' the string to get it to work correctly?

evidently for my version, it can be played as fast you can move you fingers. The break down of it is that you give the music a constant bass sound in the background with either a higher or lower note in the foreground. I'm not saying that i'm the best bassist around but I'll try to put a series of examples together. To further my knowledge with this everyone can listen to it and let me know what they think.
Quote by thefitz

In flamenco, you bring your fingers back up. So the "flicking" of the fingers is in a strumming motion. Thus you could play 16ths if needs be.

This guy sounds like he's describing flamenco. str8silver2003, see if you can post a little video or something.