Well, I've been playing guitar for a few years now and I want to learn bass now. So what's a descent beginner's bass for around 200-250 bucks(US).

I play a lot of Rage and bands like Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. You already know my budget. And i was also wondering if i could play it through a guitar amp. Would that be OK? i really don't see how it wouldn't. Maybe it just wouldn't give me a good solid bass tone but right now I'm really just looking for a bass.

Suggest away.

Thanks.
"We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment"

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
Some beethoven sounds delightful, as well.
basses blow out guitar amps
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
I really really like my Squier Vintage Modified J-bass, great for the price, looks nice, sounds nice. Its better than the 5 string Yamaha Rxwhatever with active pickups. I traded it for this and I don't really regret it.

Im a total newb at bass, but it lets me play anything from U2 to Muse to Sparta and sound right
a good bass for your price would be a used yamaha. or a squire since you're starting.
and yes you can play a bass through a guitar amp. i use a guitar amp when i go to lessons. so its ok.
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
Ok. How do you guys feel about those squire beginner bass packages. I heard they suck but only for guitar. I haven't heard anything about bass.

i'll look up some yamaha and squire stuff now.

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
I'd buy everything separate I looked at the beginners packs and the bass looked pretty crappy and the amp was total pure junk. Used is probably the way to go for you
Quote by wolf986
I'd buy everything separate I looked at the beginners packs and the bass looked pretty crappy and the amp was total pure junk. Used is probably the way to go for you

Alright then. I figured they were ****. I'll look into some squire models. Thanks people. Feel free to keep suggesting stuff.

Tool, anyone?
Alter Bridge, maybe?
A bit of John Mayer?
There are numerous basses that are decent for beginners within your inital price range such as the Ibanez GSR 200, the 70's Vintage Modified Squier Jazz Bass, and Yamaha RBX Series.

However, your going to need a bass amp if you intend to play loud. The reason being, basses will blow out the speakers on a guitar amp if you push them too far. If your looking into getting a bass amp and bass within the same price range your in for some trouble.

Gear wise, invest more in the amp. Look into Crate BT series as there cheap and work well enough for beginners. Also, look into buying a keyboard amp. There tone may not be up to par with a reg. bass amp, but there cheaper and have an overall better frequency response.

In getting a bass, you'll have to think really cheap, especially since your splitting a price range where it's hard to find good gear. The key to finding a good bass is used or really nice deals. I've seen a Warwick Rockbass (Good start; Around $400) go for $99 at GC (Albeit this was at a sale). Also, you need to bargain. Bargaining is key to getting something within your price range.

Hope that helps, peace.

*Note if your budget is going to change and your investing in a bass amp later with more money than spend it all on the bass. Note that you'd probably want a bass amp soon after you buy the bass because playing through a guitar amp isn't the most fun experience.
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE