i've only heard this elliott smith song once or twice before, but this is fantastic. very evened-out sound, guitar is clean, vocals are just right.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
that was on of THE best covers ive ever heard. WOW I can't believe how much I love this. Please do more Elliott covers! Right now I am working on a version of Miss Misery
Wow, thanks, didn't expect this good critique.
I'll try to record some more ES covers, sure!
Thanks!
I only have one guitar, sue me..
F'in nice cover mate.

The vocals are really good, quite Elliott-Like

The guitar is perfect.

Good job mate, you deserve the good critique.

Wish I could play it half as well.
PHE-NOM-ENAL! One of the top 3 covers I've ever heard on this site. I haven't even heard the actual song before but I know Elliot Smith so I decided to give it a listen. Great stuff, now just let me download your cover.

Only thing that you could possibly improve on is that you lose strength in your vocals a few times in the song (maybe on 3 occasions). It kinda has that semi nervous sound for a half second (barely perceptible but I figure if there's anything that can possibly be said to help improve why not). 1000 times better than I could ever sing anyway. Amazing.
Last edited by mattvl at Sep 23, 2007,
This is one of my favourite Elliott songs, and you bloody nailed it, man. Vocals are spot on. Awesome work.
You guys are too kind.
I'm working on a more well-produced ES cover now, this was just a one-take and no multitracking!
Well, that is what separates good musicians from bad my friend. You are a good one (at least in the sense of covering Elliot Smith, but probably in a broader sense as well).

EDIT: I just listened to it again...seriously, let me download it, that was awesome.
Last edited by mattvl at Sep 24, 2007,
Awesome, thanks buddy. I want to let my buddy give this one a listen because he's the one who's really big into Elliot Smith.
so happy you made it downloadable. another add to my itunes...

feel free to check out my songs in my ug profile thing.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I've never heard that song before, but I genuinely enjoyed it, I thought you put in a good vocal performance, it wasn't mannered, instead it seemed very natural, which is often a difficult thing to achieve when covering a song. And you didn't slip out of tune or falter at all. The guitar accompaniment was well done also. It's sparse through the verses, but that fitted really well, and it didn't seem like anything was missing.
Overall, an enjoyable listen.

EDIT: Sorry, I'd actually listened to "Without You"
Twilight was also well executed, solid guitar, good singing. I actually preferred "Without You" though, probably more to do with the song itself than anything else.
So many possibilities, so little ability.

Quote by Asthia
You know you're a guitar player when you tell your father what note he's yelling at you in and then improvise over the top.
Last edited by ChordProgressiv at Sep 30, 2007,
Well Without You is actually an original song :P
So I'm very flattered that you prefered my song instead of a Elliott Smith song, but I can't agree of course

Thanks!