A while back my uncle gave me an old wooden guitar (I believe it's classical) that looks similar to this:

I want to start teaching myself how to play, although there's a few problems:

1) Some of the strings aren't actually strings. I believe they broke so my uncle had to replace them with different material...they still make sound, but will I still be able to practice?

2) I need to learn how to tune

3) I have no guitar pick!

Finally, is it manageable to teach myself? I know some people do (I'm 18, so I've got enough common sense to propel me)
Yeah it's possible.. That's how i learned how to play. Go on youtube and there should be tutorials telling you how to tune. Go buy a guitar pick, or use your fingers. Oh, and half your uncle's strings are nylon because it's a classical.
Quote by outerheaven2005
Yeah it's possible.. That's how i learned how to play. Go on youtube and there should be tutorials telling you how to tune. Go buy a guitar pick, or use your fingers. Oh, and half your uncle's strings are nylon because it's a classical.

Would nylon look like a soft, plastic-ish, white string?

EDIT - I also became interested with my new taste for "old" rock like Guns N' Roses. Specifically, how difficult would it be to play a song like Sweet Child o' Mine? (Lead notes)
Classical guitars have nylon strings, they aren't fake or anything like that. Buy an electronic tuner, and in most cases you don't use a pick with classical guitars.
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Seagull S6+Cedar
Yamaha Pacifica
Epiphone Valve Special
Boss OD-3
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
Quote by Nirvana-Man
its hard to teach yourself, and BTW, all guitars are made out of wood!

not true.
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
Quote by Tekee

EDIT - I also became interested with my new taste for "old" rock like Guns N' Roses. Specifically, how difficult would it be to play a song like Sweet Child o' Mine? (Lead notes)

Yup. That's nylon for you
ohai little sig.
I used to have one almost exactly like that. That's what I started on, I picked up Smoke On The Water when I was bored (no tabs or instructional anything, just thought it sounded cool.) and my mom was like OMGOSH (fanatic+shock state), and then my uncle sent me an acoustic for my birthday. A real one. So mom got me lessons, uncle sent me an electric, mom got me an amp, here I am today playing the same equipment 2 years later.

It's best to start out with something cheap like that. This way if you find out it's not for you, you don't piss away your wallet.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by CanCan
Get yourself a teacher.

Not neccessarily. If you screw around with tabs a bit and get the feel of how to play, you should be fine. And literally EVERY question that pops up in your head has been asked and answered online. Id only recommend a teahcer if you have trouble "going somewhere" or you really dont know what to do.

Oh, and Sweet Child O Mine ISNT for a classical guitar, and to play it correctly is VERY difficult for a beginner, especially because you cant easily access the higher frets on that guitar
Quote by Tekee

Well I don't know if its possible to play that song on an acoustic. Well you could but it wouldn't sound the same.
if your really that stuck for a pick.... you could allways cut one out of an old credit card... some people even prefer them to a normal pick
^ you're a complete noob. that would be what the vast majority of classical guitars look like, and that doesn't make them crappy. there are some that are equal in value to your home
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Guitar_Obsessed
That looks like the pile o ****e school acoustics i have at school. No offence

Why? Because it isn't electric?

To TS: You can tune it online HERE. Since it's classical I would learn to fingerpick on it. There are plenty of lessons here on Ug aswell, just click on the lesson bit at the top of the page
Quote by Tekee

the intro to sweet child of mine is really easy (i could play it by third day i had a guitar) but you might want an electric guitar and an amp for that, it will sound a little bit more like the actually thing.

it isnt hard to teach yourself how to play. i taught myself. all you need to do is scales scales and more scales. then find the tabs for a song, learn all the the chords in the song (look the names up), then learn the song. just keep doing all that over and over and in no time you will be a pro.

people will give you a million different pieces of advice. ALL OF IT IS THEIR PREFERENCE. there is no right and wrong way to play the guitar, there are just some methods that are easier and for some major ones that are obvious, sound better. just go with what fits your style best and what is easiest for you to conquer. practice all the time and have a sh*t load of fun.

always stick with it even if you think you will never get the hang of it and you will be glad in the end
they call og or nothing at all!!