With a long hiatus me and Affe hit town yesterday and went out to try some gear. Of course I had to do some spam thread.

So here's what I tried:
Blade Strat: Really nice actually. Slightly V shaped neck, which I found pretty nice (I generally prefer C shape). It had a built in preamp which was really useful. The mid position was normal Strat sound, the up had scooped mids and I didn't use it too much. The third was a mid and gain boost. With the mid/ gain boost the bridge pickup became a bit too nasal and gain-y, but the neck pup was nice and fat and you could get some great SRV tones out of it. Great Strat.

I ran it through:
Fender '57 Deluxe Reissue: Well I saw one of them plugged in and had to try it. I have been thinking about building one for long so I wanted to try it. I plugged into the instrument channel, input 1. The tone control worked really well and I had it on about 8-9. Had a nice compression and sag from the tube rectifier. In the normal position you had a nice sound, with some slight slight hinting of dirt even on 3-4. But I loved the sound from the neck pup with the mid/ gain boost. Fantastic blues tone. Sounded perfect for the SRV and Texas Style blues. This was with volume on 3-4 so the boost provided a big "omph". I loved the amp and it would be a perfect compliment to the Rocker. The only thing is that IMO the price is way too high, but a kit would be at the perfect price. I am seriously thinking about building one.

Then we went to another shop and since there was a lot of people I couldn't plug into any amp so I plugged into a Vox Tonelab, which was decent.
Squier Jagmaster: Well I picked it down and it felt quite heavy actually, not as light as a Strat or Fender Jag. The neck was ok, but some frets felt a bit rough. Otherwise a good guitar, but I didn't like the pups, far too muddy for me. Overall an ok guitar.

Well that's it from that day.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Nice!

I played that Squier thru a champion and really liked it!

Cant wait to hit the town with you in december and SPAM!!!!!

Last edited by False_God at Sep 23, 2007,
^Can't wait to make a spam thread with you when you come to Stockholm!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

ha, nice spam, short and sweet.

i played a squier jagmaster unplugged last time i was out at a music store, i was really surprised it was a squier.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by Gabel
^Can't wait to make a spam thread with you when you come to Stockholm!

You guize are meeting up? No fair!

Nice spam though, the amp sounds really good.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
I've always wanted to go to Sweden, I'd like to visit Holland again too while I'm in mainland Europe.

False_God, you're one lucky bugger!
Gabel, you're an even luckier bugger for living there!
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
^^When in December? There is a small chance I might be able to make it too.
^between the 10th and 13th.

If anybody ever stops by Stockholm just contact me.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Damn, I won't be coming to Sweden until the week after that. Oh well, next summer I'll come to Stockholm (I hope).
nice spam gabe. i agree, those blade guitars are nice... i've tried the strat and tele, nicer than a MIM if you ask me, for a similar price (the strat's a bit more, to be fair).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i think so, yes. i remember reading a magazine interview years ago where he said he was using blades.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Gabel
Well are you coming to Stockholm that week?

Probably not, but I would try extra hard if I knew another UGer was coming too.
^But are you coming to Stockholm at all this year?

Anyway I was out trying some gear today so here comes the follow up!
Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop with P90s: Pretty good. Nothing bad, but didn't make much of an impression on me though. I'm seriously thinking about getting an Edwards version of a Goldtop though.

Line6 Pocker Pod: Ran the Epi through this. And I must say that it was actually really good. It took some eqing and adjusting on some presets, but it actually had a great classic rock and blues sound. I preffered it to the Vox Tonelab. It had some great The Who presets which some adjustment nailed that The Who tone and since I ran the Epi thourhg it I had to play lots of Tommy stuff. Thinking about getting one of these for bringing to jams with friends and so on.

Next I went downstairs. There were some kid "shredding" it up on a Jackson RR or ESP Alexi Laiho through a Spider. I have no idea at all what he was doing and it all sounded like utter f*cking crap.

Anyway I saw an amp I wante dto try and picked some guitar up:
Epiphone Joe Perry Les Paul: I really liked this one. The neck was nice and had a nice thin coat, not like the WAY overfinished Epis. Very nice neck overall. The Burstbuckers were really good and I loved them. Can't wait to get my BKs, which are basically like Burstbuckers, but better (both are to reproduce the classic PAF tone).

Marshall JVM410 head with 412 cab: Well the clean channel was nice. Had some great sparkly cleans on the green mode. The orange mode had some breakup, but didn't think too much of it. The red mode was nice and had quite a lot of gain actually. Next was the crunch channel which I found pretty good, the orange mode being the best. The green had close to no gain at all and the red could get a bit muddy IMO. The Orange definetly had a nice Marshall crunch. The OD1 didn't make much impression on me, but I didn't care too much for it. The OD2 didn't seem to have that much gain (because of the pretty "cool" pickups probably) but it wasn't as nice high gain as a 5150 IMO. Still a pretty good amp.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I love the Joe Perry Epiphones, as well as the general awesomeness the finish is amazing...

Ceriatone do a Tweed Deluxe kit if you were interested in it.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Gabel

Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop with P90s: Pretty good. Nothing bad, but didn't make much of an impression on me though. I'm seriously thinking about getting an Edwards version of a Goldtop though.

This probably isn't the best place to ask this, but since you're Gabe, and God, and whatnot, Edwards is the localized, Japanese offshoot of ESP...right? And how do you rate them generally?
I haven't tried one, but for the price, the specs and hearsay they seem awesome.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

i've only tried one edwards, a second hand les paul special. it was much nicer than the gibson Les paul special faded i tried it against (which is twice the price in the UK).

Similar quality to japanese tokais- probably a bit nicer (and nicer pickups) than the cheapest japanese tokais (which go for between £400-around £600), but not as nice as the expensive (around a grand) tokais, like the relic ones.

last time i was in denmark street i saw a couple of edwards (didn't have the wit to try them though ), so you might get lucky if you check out rockers etc. (i think it was rockers i saw them in)

EDIT: oh i wasn't too fussed on the high gain of the jvm, i thought its mid gain tones were nicer.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i've only tried one edwards, a second hand les paul special. it was much nicer than the gibson Les paul special faded i tried it against (which is twice the price in the UK).

Similar quality to japanese tokais- probably a bit nicer (and nicer pickups) than the cheapest japanese tokais (which go for between £400-around £600), but not as nice as the expensive (around a grand) tokais, like the relic ones.

last time i was in denmark street i saw a couple of edwards (didn't have the wit to try them though ), so you might get lucky if you check out rockers etc. (i think it was rockers i saw them in)

EDIT: oh i wasn't too fussed on the high gain of the jvm, i thought its mid gain tones were nicer.

Well the only thing is that I couldn't get to try an Edwards (for the reason they are technically illegal here, because a shop can't order them, because they're for the Japanese market).

Funny is I was speaking about them in a shop with a guy who worked there and we spoke about how amazing Japanese guitars were and I was thinking about getting one and he didn't seem bothered I didn't get one there (he was basically on my side).

Anyway are there anything compareable to an Edwards (new Tokais ain't sold here either).
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

are you talking to me or gabe, martin? i assume gabe, but i'd best make sure...

and yeah, i'm not sure if they're illegal here, but there certainly are no dealers, you have to order for the states. though tokai are legal and sold by dealers, so i don't know what the craic is with that.

but yeah, the edwards i tried was second-hand, presumably the original owner either picked one up in japan, or ordered one from japan...

tokai is probably the closest, to be honest... i honestly can't think of anything similar (and i haven't tried the edwards fender copies, so i can't compare them to blades etc.)...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ That would be Gabe, but feel free to tell me the name of the shop you went to anyway.
haha, marcus music.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mr_hankey
^ That would be Gabe, but feel free to tell me the name of the shop you went to anyway.

Alright, well this is the order:
First spam thread I went to two shops, Musikbörsen Fridhemsplan (Förstärkardoktorn) and then Jam.

The second was on Musikbörsen Fridhemsplan
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

well my edwards shipped this morning. hopefully it'll be here in around a week (and in one piece!)...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?