I'm confused. Lately i noticed a lot of fender guitars with humbuckers have 3 screws to hold them in place. WTF? i thought most aftermarket pickups had the typical 2-screw attachment?

basically on the right theres the usual 1 screw, but there's 2 next to each other, slightly higher and slightly lower than the normal position to the left of the pickup. So far i've noticed this on the Cyclone and Toronados (both discontinued), would this make finding new pickups for these guitars difficult without drilling a new hole?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
It might. I have a DeArmond guitar (apparently from after Fender took over, as it was a sub-brand of Guild), and it has pickups like that. I hope that i can change em w/ out redrilling holes for em.
here's an example, look at the left side of the humbucker here: (BIG image alert)

it looks like most fenders have these wierd 3-screw humbuckers, does anyone know whats up with that?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Its like that on my american fattie. The side with the single screw adjust the height of the treble side, while the side with two screws allows you to adjust the tilt of the pickup as well as the height of the bass side.
Quote by skribbez
Its like that on my american fattie. The side with the single screw adjust the height of the treble side, while the side with two screws allows you to adjust the tilt of the pickup as well as the height of the bass side.

yeah thats what i thought, but if i needed to replace the pickup would it be as easy to find one that will fit as it is to find a 2-screw humbucker? I'm asking this because i'm getting a cyclone in about 6 months time if i still can (i know its discontinued, but some online stores will probably still have them lying around - they aren't that popular)

Ibanez used to mount their pickups like that. It allows much tighter adjustments of the pickup. If you feel the need to buy a 2 screw pickup, you could always attach a strip of metal to the bass side mount of the new pup and tap a threaded hole on each end so it fits the guitar mounts without drilling a new hole.
Quote by Blompcube
yeah thats what i thought, but if i needed to replace the pickup would it be as easy to find one that will fit as it is to find a 2-screw humbucker? I'm asking this because i'm getting a cyclone in about 6 months time if i still can (i know its discontinued, but some online stores will probably still have them lying around - they aren't that popular)

you dont need a special humbucker. you just use the same guard and leave a hole in the guard.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Blompcube
here's an example, look at the left side of the humbucker here: (BIG image alert)

it looks like most fenders have these wierd 3-screw humbuckers, does anyone know whats up with that?

I thought I'd quote it just so I get to see the picture again .

Anyways, It's not that hard to drill a hole, as long as it's not a vintage instrument.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Its just a cost thing. Another screw costs money. Also more care would be needed in assembly as the base plate would need to be oriented right. So its just cheaper to use the 2 screw set up. I kinda wish more humbuckers had the 3 screw set up. I know the EMGs I have like to tilt sometimes. My carvin has the 3 screw set up, and yea changing to another kind would create problems. Ones with pickup rings you can just change the rings. I havent even seen the rings for anything other than 2 srews. Ones like the strat pictured would not be so easy without drilling. Just as you will have to watch it as the different companies use different thread pitches on the screws.
this may be an old thread but just buy a squier pickguard for the cyclone they only use 2 holes if you really dont wana drill or leave an open hole
Tackleberry.... I am with this guy. I have an Austin HSS Strat and the HB has 2 bass side screws to allow tilt as well as height adjust for the bass side. Adding a small flat bracket to the HB L-shaped ' leg ' with 2 threaded holes is a solution. Attach it to the NEW HB 'Leg' with the center threaded hole and lock it on with a small nut under the 'L' leg. Then 2 screws into the new bracket just as with the old HB. Use the old HB to get the measurement for the added bracket piece drilling (drill small and then thread!).
Last edited by doug.henninger at Jan 16, 2017,
Thank you for bumping a 10 year old thread. I'm sure TS has figured it out by now.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Please check the dates before you post.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!